Prison Hooch

hedd-wyn

Well just made myself a gallon batch of Prison Hooch (or Inmate Hooch) and is slowly bubbling away in the demijohn.

I picked up the recipe off a client of mine who's been 'inside' for most of his life and was kind enough to write down the recipe for me.

Basically I used 2.5 litres of pure orange juice, plus 2.5 litres of water, bread yeast and a bag of sugar put into a demijohn jar with an airlock fitted.

I'm not really expecting this to taste great, it's more of a novelty thing really and an experiment.

Anyone tried making this before? any ideas how long it will take? How strong? (don't have a hydrometer)

ATB

Hedd

Aside from the water, that's near enough turbo cider - should be absolutely fine, if a little thin. You will need to decant it at least twice after it's fermented to get it clearer/free of bits.

It will take probably a week, maybe ten days to ferment using bread yeast - I reckon strength wise you're looking around 4-5% assuming it was a kilo bag of sugar.

Edited by Fatcatsplat

Aside from the water, that's near enough turbo cider - should be absolutely fine, if a little thin. You will need to decant it at least twice after it's fermented to get it clearer/free of bits.

It will take probably a week, maybe ten days to ferment using bread yeast - I reckon strength wise you're looking around 4-5% assuming it was a kilo bag of sugar.

Nice one

This fella also mentioned giving it a 'kick' something to do with leaving a litre in the demijohn once the fermentation has finished and then repeating the process? Make any sense to you?

say about 9.2g per 100ml of OJ so 230g of sugar there.plus 1kg =total sugar 1230g

Really???

I would work that out to be about 14% if brewed out to "Dry" with a reading of about 995....... :good: .

One of the patients at the private secure mental health hospital where I work, tried to make some a few years ago. Staff could'nt work out how food items like bread, sugar, fruit and also marmite were being used at an alarming rate. Then, his hooch was found. It looked really vile, all bubbling and fermenting. The smell was terrible, and not one member of staff, including me, was brave enough to try it.

Some of my friends when they were young men got into trouble with the law and 2 of them ended in Detention Centre for 3 months which worked as they never got into trouble again. But when they came home they told me how the lads that had been in more than once (hardened) would save brasso from the cleaning work detail, then strain it though a hankie and drink the strained liquid god knows what it done to their organs but it must of rotted them from the inside.

Quality use to knock a batch of this for ourselves when I worked offshore middle east, used 25ltr plastic drums all went well, until one bright spark came up with the idea of blowing it down to 18mtr in our decompression chamber(to aid fermentation!). Well 6 hrs later 1 almighty bang (a good gas mark 10 ricther scale) 150ltrs of grape juice covered the inside of the chamber it had set like jelly so just cut chunks of the walls tasted vile but hit the spot!.

the chamber was never quite the same after that as the walls had a pinkish hue and distinct aroma!!.

Good Luck as you may well need it! :-()

say about 9.2g per 100ml of OJ so 230g of sugar there.plus 1kg =total sugar 1230g

Really???

I would work that out to be about 14% if brewed out to "Dry" with a reading of about 995....... :good: .

But he's using half water which would cut the oj sugar in half and dilute the effects of the added sugar. Whenever I've done a turbo cider in the past I've never had one go into double figures alcohol yet (Not for want of trying!!)

But he's using half water which would cut the oj sugar in half and dilute the effects of the added sugar. Whenever I've done a turbo cider in the past I've never had one go into double figures alcohol yet (Not for want of trying!!)

I just checked it on the online calc and it came with the same reading

http://www.hotsaucedepot.com/Calculators-C108.aspx

The main problem with Hooch is stopping it from fermenting, if you drink it and the yeast is still alive it will turn your stomach into a brewing bin and start to ferment it's contents.

You will go into a coma and could be in real trouble, I have served 23 years in HMP and have seen it all.....freeze it to kill the yeast or just stick it outside this time of year.

• 6 years later...

I used to drink hooch in prison. You could get the yeast in the kitchens but they keep it under close watch so its hard to get. One i was at we would make fresh bread so we would steal that and use it.

We'd put it in a bottle with juice and sugar and leave it warming on the pipes to create the 'kick'. After about 5 days you can really smell the alcohol and a litre kick could create about 5 litres of hooch. We'd leave it brewing on the pipes and release the gas every night so it didnt explode.

We made good hooch and i spent many nights getting ******. But since leaving prison i have developed acid reflux, which when i see the doctors they always ask about my alcohol intake, which isnt that high, or at least i wouldnt think its high enough to have caused it. Ive just been thinking back to how mich hooch i used to drink and im thinking that may have been the cause. I may have damaged my stomach. So definitely not worth it.

16 hours ago, Vicvega said:

I used to drink hooch in prison. You could get the yeast in the kitchens but they keep it under close watch so its hard to get. One i was at we would make fresh bread so we would steal that and use it.

We'd put it in a bottle with juice and sugar and leave it warming on the pipes to create the 'kick'. After about 5 days you can really smell the alcohol and a litre kick could create about 5 litres of hooch. We'd leave it brewing on the pipes and release the gas every night so it didnt explode.

We made good hooch and i spent many nights getting ******. But since leaving prison i have developed acid reflux, which when i see the doctors they always ask about my alcohol intake, which isnt that high, or at least i wouldnt think its high enough to have caused it. Ive just been thinking back to how mich hooch i used to drink and im thinking that may have been the cause. I may have damaged my stomach. So definitely not worth it.

When I worked in a secire mental health hospital (Private) staff noticed that one unit always 'ate' all their fruit, and 'loved' Marmite (small single pots) that is, until a search found a bottle in a wardrobe, fementing. It looked repulsive. The patient informed staff that he learned to make it while in Prison!

Over complicating the process - if you buy UNpasteurized Orange Juice you only need to remove the lid and leave it in a warm place for a few hours, then plug the hole with a ball of cotton wool and wait around 5 days in a warm room - works more often than not and tastes foul but its deffo Alcoholic.