What's the best way to carry pellets in the field? pocket/tin/case

mr_magicfingers

Hello, fairly new to airgunning, been shooting targets so far which means sitting with a tin of pellets. However, I'm going to start going out for rabbits soon and figured a tin may not be the best way to carry pellets as they're easy to spill and rattle around. Just wondered how people tend to carry them as I know you want to keep them undamaged and obviously quiet.

Cheers.

Check out pellet holders. There are some videos on youtube showing how to make them. An old welly boot, a hole punch and a lenth of cord and you're sorted. Been using one for ages and it's fantastic.

Just done that and what a great idea, thanks for that, bound to have an old boot knocking around in the shed.

Also saw a neat one where a piece of pipe insulation goes around part of your scope and pellets put into that.

Both very neat ideas.

Cheers.

The Pellet holder works great for .22 and .177 heavies, but the skirts on some pellets suffer a bit! I use a mini match box with two bits of foam - one below and one above the pellets - in the field, and fill it up before I go. pellets are kept perfectly shaped and it doesn't rattle at all! If i'm out with bisley mags, i use a home made pellet holder. check out Huntersvermin on youtube for instructions, but they're really easy!

post-26888-0-64268400-1383061433_thumb.jpg

I just carry 2 spare magazines for my huntsman which means a total of 30 pellets, still havn,t used that many whilst I,ve been out hunting but I,ve been close a few times but lets be honest who would want to carry 30 rabbits across a couple of fields back to the 4x4 certainly not me,

atb Evo

Make yourself a pouch from any bit of old camo material, stick a bit of velcro on the back, sew the corresponding bits of velcro in strategic places on your shooting clothes, then you can remove it to empty it, clean it or whatever.

great idea tim :good::good:

I use a small fish hook container available at any tackle shop. I think they also use them for split shot. Round plastic with a snap on lid, little larger than a 10p and 35mmx12mm. Holds around 50-60 .177 and around 35 .22. Absolutely perfect :good: Bit like item number 300787930124 on fleebay.

I use a pellet holder like the green one Chris shows above, I first used a couple of small strips of elastic belt found under an old settee punched through with 3mm holes for .177's and 4mm for .22's. Now that some old wellies came about, I use small sections of them punched through. Like advised above though, you have to be careful popping out thin skirt pellets like Falcon Accuracy Plus or AA Diablo Fields, you can easily bend them. Anything like Accupells or Li's though are ok. I just carry the holder in my fleese pocket but remove it if laying prone with a bipod.

I use a single shot s400 so always have a spare pellet laying in one of the upper scope mount bolt holes for a quick follow up shot if necessary.... :good:

Edited by David M

£1 shop a little zipped pouch for ear phones and a small mp 3 player very well padded.

Holds 500 pellets with belt loops on the back it`s ideal no damaged or distorted pellets.

The only problem is I like to wash and lube (Napier Power pellet lube). My pellets.

So i put the pellets in a small plastic bag inside the pouch so the pellets stay lubricated.

I have two of those very expensive odd shaped ball things made of thick leather, but now I've seen the bit of rubber with the holes in I wish I'd saved the £40 hahaha looks perfect

It's amazing what is on the market these days! But a dead pair of Wellies and a boot lace seem to do the job as well as anything I've seen for sale!

I have a Career 707 .22 carbine in FAC at 28lb. I have two magazines, which each hold 7 Bisley Magnums. The skirts on these are quite long and easily damaged, so for spares I have an Air Arms pellet tin with foam rubber glued inside the lid and base, which meet in the middle, so they grip the pellets. Hence no damaged pellets and no bunnies disturbed by a rattling tin. The wellie idea sounds OK for short skirted pellets.