Old BSA Meteor

krazykayaker

Hi, i have an old BSA Meteor (approx 25-30 years old!(it was my dads!)) i tried it today in the garden for the first time in probably 10 years (i usually use a shotgun) and was bitterly disapointed with its perfomance as i could only just knock a half filled 500ml pop bottle over at 10 yards (and no it wasnt my shooting b4 u say it!)

after looking at the gun i noticed that some of the seals/o-rings seem to have started perishing

is it worth changing the seals etc and maybe a new spring or would i just be better off just buying a new budget air rifle??

i want to use it for rabbits etc as the shottie just scares em off after first shot!!

Do not buy a budget air rifle, they are so bad I dont know how our laws allow them to be imported!

As above all internals can be easily bought and renewed from John Knibbs international or one of the others, I think Chambers supply parts for these too. The Meteor was a 10ft/lb gun and fine for general use. Whilst you are waiting for the bits to arrive give the bore a good clean, remove the piston and check the condition of the compression chamber. Watch the pins on the trigger group dont fall out whilst you are working on it - you should wrap a bit of sticky tape around the group to prevent that.

Good luck.

The Meteor is well worth a few pennies being spent on it. I gave mine a complete overhaul after having spent about £30 on replacementparts and grease etc. New Leather piston and washer, O Ring, Spring etc.

My old MkII may not look much, but it shoots straight and happily takes rabbits up to 30 yards. Not bad for a gun thats nearly 50 years old! :/

I'm not sure what to do yet!, i`m still thinking of getting a new rifle for hunting but will keep the meteor for the garden to let me son have a go and maybe refurb it at a later date, what would you recommend to buy as a new rifle, i`ve got a budget of £300-£400 (inc. scope) and wheres the best place to buy one from?

Thats a pretty open question as it depends on what your requirements for use are. But if I were looking to buy a decent hunting rifle for that sort of money, I would be looking for a good conditioned secondhand Air Arms S410 in .22. However, I would also have to consider that being a PCP I would need to be able to refill the rifle by means of a Hills Pump or a rechargeable Divers Bottle.

The Meteor is still worth doing up especially if your son is going to be shooting live quarry.

• 4 weeks later...

Thats answered a question for me, as I have a very old meteor.

It was my wifes grandfathers so has a lot of sentimental value. I tried putting a new spring in it but it wasnt up to the power increase and now barely fires.

I shall pay out and get it repaired and restored but what sort of money is reasonable?

Thats answered a question for me, as I have a very old meteor.

It was my wifes grandfathers so has a lot of sentimental value. I tried putting a new spring in it but it wasnt up to the power increase and now barely fires.

I shall pay out and get it repaired and restored but what sort of money is reasonable?

Only you can decide this as it is worth as much as the sentimental value. However, I spent £50 doing mine and for that I got the following: Nikko Stirling Mount Master 4x36, New Spring, New Leather Piston Washer, New Piston Spacer, New Breech Seal, New Trigger Guard and a tub of grease.

Just remember to soak the Leather Piston Washer in pure vegetable oil overnight, before fitting it.

Appologies to Krazykayaker I hope im not hyjacking your thread :blush:

It seeemed daft to post the exact same topic being that I want to restore my mk3 meteor.

Axe.. thank you for the quick reply, I would definately spend the cost a cheap chinese gun on it, but also fancy doing the work myself. Are there any resources you can recommend to help me?

With a refurb, and perhaps a bit of upgrading what sort of power rating is achievable with a meteor?

Do really kill rabbits with yours?

Many thanks

Pete

I don't think anyone will mind you continuing on in this thread. :blush:

Resources, arh yes, I can highly recommend John Knibbs International. The chap used to work for BSA for many years. In essence, what he doesnt know about old BSA airguns, you don't need to know. They are based in Birmingham and very helpful. There website is: http://www.airgunspares.com/

I fitted the spring he recommended which was a Titan High Performance spring. I havent tested the rifle but John suggested that a well serviced Meteor with this spring should be somewhere close to 11ft/lb or just over.

As far as I am concerened, the rifle is more than capable of depatching Rabbits out to a realistic 30yards. The only downside of an older Air Rifle like this is that you won't find any decent pellets that will work well. My S-16 used Accupels to great effect but they would just fall 2-3 inches down the barrel on the Meteor. The only pellet that seems to fit snug is the good old Wasp.

Another resource you may want to look at is chambers. They have diagrams on the website and also stock a wide range of spares. The website is here: http://www.chambersgunmakers.co.uk/ Here is the parts plan to the Mk3 & 4 Meteor Parts PlanI'd still make John Knibbs your first port of call though.

If you check out/search topics that I have started in this section you will find the ones that relate to my quest to get my rifle upto scratch. Heres one of them:Meteor Topics

Hope this helps. :/

Thanks once again,

That really does help, since ive some bits missing ie the rear sight.

Has anybody done a kind of photo diary of their rebuild as this would be useful (i may well do one). Even just finding out the best way to strip the paint and varnish would be a great help.

Pete

If you have a look in the craft section, I think you'll find a few topics on stripping stocks etc. I know theres a few in Guns & Equipment that pertain to paintwork and blueing.

If you are going to have a go at replacing the spring mind, be very careful. There is alot of tension on the spring even when un-cocked. It might be better to get a local smith to remove it and when your ready, replace it. Just a word to the wise.

I found that out the hard way a while ago :blush:

I managed to get a new spring in but it never fired right after, Im sure its because the seals etc werent up to the job, so this time a complete rebuild is in order.

I'll have a look and see what others have done as regards the cosmetics.

Cheers

Pete

Ive spoken with the missus and she doesnt care what I do with the meteor.

I plan to strip it completely, stain the wood rather than varnish (change colour).

Not sure with the barrel. Its straight, just a few chips and scratches in the powder coat. What options have I got for refinishing it?

Replace the seals, spring, etc, add new sights, and a scope, possibly a silencer if it would be useful.

I think cosmetically it will look like a different gun, but im not sure what power is achievable with a mk3 meteor.

Would this be sacrilage?

Has anybody else modded/tuned a meteor?

Pete

oi ! Wot u doing hijacking my post!!! :blush:

i'm glad you did as i now know that John Knibbs is only 5 minutes up the road from me and i've emailed him for some advice on my old meteor

i think i've decided to refurb my old meteor as for 1 : i cant afford a new gun at the moment!! and 2: whats the point in buying a new one when i've already got one!!

i'll let u know how i get on

Hi there.

It seems we're after the same thing. But many appologies for jumping in here :blush:

It did seem daft, two threads on the same thing!

Mine is a mk3 1974-78 I think so its as old as me and also needs a revamp.

What do you plan on doing with yours?

Cheers

Pete

Hi, i was joking about the hijack!! :blush:

all i plan with mine is a new spring, seals etc and a rear sight as its missing,

the gun itself is in pretty good condition so i dont need to do anything to the wood work

i want to get a decent scope for it as well

do you know if you can fit a silencer/moderator to old meteors??

My rear site is missing too, and im not sure it can be replaced as the main parts supplyer has the price scrubbed out.

Im after a silencer aswell, which I think is possible. I tried a scope on it ages ago that my bro in law had on his cometa, which was great fun, and made it look really impressive :blush:

Ive read that 10+ft/lbs is possiblle so im aiming to get all I can from mine and still keep it usable.

Keep in touch as im sure we can help each other out.

Pete

Cheers nicknox, it doesnt seem like it should cost too much in parts to refurbish my meteor.

Ive looked in the diy section and scoured t'nternet but cant find anything useful on the cosmetics.

If I nitromors the wood and barrel, can stain the wood to my prefered colour, and blue the barrel?

Im not sure what metal it is, but bearing in mind its 30yrs old im guessing its not stainless. :)

Would a stained colour change and a blued barrel be ok?

Pete

It does seem like a lot of work for a 30 yr old rifle. BSA made over 2 million Meteors, so they're not hard to come by. Why not get a full power secondhand rifle, save yourself a lot of time. Just do the basics on the Meteor and enjoy it for what it is. A good quality plinking gun, although I used to hunt with mine as well :)

• 3 years later...