Old BSA Meteor

krazykayaker

i'm doing a mk3 for a friends son at the moment,he's a tiny thing so i have had to take 3" of the butt and 4" off the barrel to balance it out.barrel has been screwcut for a silencer.i'm hoping for around 10 ft/lb from it.

i absolutely love playing about with old springers:)

i'm doing a mk3 for a friends son at the moment,he's a tiny thing so i have had to take 3" of the butt and 4" off the barrel to balance it out.barrel has been screwcut for a silencer.i'm hoping for around 10 ft/lb from it.

i absolutely love playing about with old springers:)

i,m doing up a mk3 meteor what would you do with the barrel ,blue it ,paint or what ,it was badly scratched so i had to rub it down to the bare metal

• 6 years later...

I have a silencer on my TX200 and my answer would be, yes. I waited some time before I put one on mine and found that the addition of the silencer took out all of the noise other than the action working. OK, all of my airgun work is ambushing from hides and sometimes there is a chance of two shots. The fact that there is no noise, very often I have taken two kills and on one lucky occasion three magpies as fast as I could load the TX200 which is a springer as you perhaps know. True the third bird was down in the slurry pit behind a twelve foot wall and hopped up to see what the commotion was. Money well spent.

Would certainly service and upgrade a Meteor if I had one but sell the TX200 ..NEVER!!

Edited by Walker570

Hi

A lad at work brought me a freebie rifle, Turned out it was a badly abused mk5 Meteor!

I think someone squeezed the trigger with the barrel open! The stock had been split fully in two and the articulated cocking link had replacement pieces made, Extremely badly!!, Also, Someone cut the cylinder end plug, I think to fit a scope or something similar!!

Amazingly the gun shoots not too badly!! :hmm:

97IjiL1.jpg

RYcQo4A.jpg

Have to say I'm not a fan of the Meteors after mk2 as they're cheaply made tat!!

The yoke of the cylinder where the barrel sits is made from pressed sheet steel and brazed togeter as I found when I tried nipping them in the vise and squashed them a bit!! :whistling: Also, due to the lightweight tinplate type construction, If the screws in the forestock are tightened too much than the yoke actually opens up and gives much sideways barrel sloppyness :unhappy:

You can see the gap in these pivot/Lockup holes!!

8rxuRmV.jpg

I've a very early nickel plated Meteor mk1 in .177cal that shoots powerfully and splatters the pellets when fired at garden slabs!! And a mk2 that's in better condition :good:

The mk2 with the four pressed out scope rails!!

CpBtvM5.jpg

The rearsight is missing from the mk1 but I found a Webley 2-7x20 scope doing nowt and so I fitted it..

ArFH8rS.jpg

7Mw7Vxw.jpg

Both are actually .177cal..

My preference is for their predecessors, The Cadet and the Cadet Major :ninja:

John good.gif.pagespeed.ce.PoYRIVsMjL.gif

• 1 year later...
On 01/09/2017 at 03:47, Rimfireboy said:

Realistically,you can expect between 9&10 ft lbs from a .22 meteor in good condition. A little less in .177.

That’s what I’ve found also.

Just recently bought a .22 Mk1 in very good shape. Clocks 12 gn Hobbies @ 600 fps even. Abt 9.5 fpme. Have bagged rabbits (Texas cottontails) with alot less.

12C07A1C-C0CF-41ED-99CB-559FF2240D44.jpeg

On 21/10/2010 at 00:02, wabbitbosher said:

stick a Theoban Gas ram in the old BSA ,, instant revamp

wb

I've seen two bsa lightnings and a supersport all made much worse by having the gasram fitted, one was mine and had the correct. 22 fitted. It as if the gun was too light for the recoil of the gasram. I kept the gun 6 months and then had an original spring refitted. 

I have a fully restored Airsporter, and a Mk3 Meteor undergoing restoration - I'm currently stuck on a trigger problem !

They're lovely old things, that should be preserved. Meteor parts are easily available, and relatively cheap...............do it ! 

Dont put a big spring in it           check the breech seal

I've got my dads a 69 one             its had a squirt of spray grease on the sprng

shooting at an old cast iron drain cover from twenty yards it flattens pellets like tinfoil

I dont think they are strong enough for tuning

Forgot to mention  blue wasp pellets are the ones for the Meteor

I've put the open sights on this afternoon

three pellets in the same hole

On 01/01/2007 at 23:21, arnold said:

i would renew the the guts of the rifle if its that old 25-30yrs main spring, piston head, and barrel seal you cant beat a old meteor the money spend on a budget gun would cover the costs of the parts needed

Just  wondering why after compairing them  I have bought a HW80    Meteors are good

• 1 month later...
On 04/07/2019 at 11:11, bruno22rf said:

You're not seriously comparing a Meteor to a HW80 are you? The Meteor has an in built life span dependant entirely on the barrel axis pin - the 80 will last yours and your son's son a lifetime. 

Comparing an old meteor with a HW80 is like comparing a Yamaha FS1E with a BSA Gold Star ️