.303 for Stalking/Culling?

Frenchieboy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frenchie ....overkill does not exist matey.

Found this recently.

http://levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51046&sid=3674149c0e8e285d34aeb8b59a6782ca

Kent sir.....it brings to it's owners table joy and satisfaction....could that not be enough?

U.

Yes, it is enough as long as it is legal which like a say the Deer legislation was based around this guns ballistics

I have a SMLE vintage 1917 that is conditioned for roe as my 308 was to much gun for roe figure that one out.

I use 41 grains of vit n140 with a 150 soft point it works a treat.

I have just sold my 1908 smle sporter a couple of months ago .I used it to shoot deer and foxes to great effect .

Ruger are making there no1rifle in .303 now if any one wants a new .303 rifle

I have just sold my 1908 smle sporter a couple of months ago .I used it to shoot deer and foxes to great effect .

Ruger are making there no1rifle in .303 now if any one wants a new .303 rifle

they did years ago too...was tempted!

There was that Aussie firm too making some interesting rifles too.

U.

At the end of WW2 a lot of .303 No 4's were sent down under and the Aussies sporterised them and used them a lot to shoot roos on the hop :lol: . Great calibre as I have a P14 and very accurate as I use it to shoot classic rifle comps, iron sights ok for tight groups up to 300 yds but shaky hands let me down after that. Load my own ammo with 174 grn Sierra MK over 41.5 grn N140 sweet load for my P14. :good:

.303 British is a monster of a round, I have seen it and used it personally and cannot think or a reason for it's demise other than falling out of fashion.

It will go thru a quarter inch of steel at a quarter of a mile happily (basic army test in ww2) and is just as accurate as a 308

No issue on deer if it kills men at considerably more distance than you would shoot a deer.

Have fun with it.

Can you get factory deer ammo off the shelf?

If I do decide to go down this road I personally would certainly be loading my own but even so it is a fair question and if what Sprackles says (And I have no reason to doubt him) then a quid a pop is a bit steep, but then again if you want a "classic" rifle then I guess you are going to have to pay for the pleasure!

Edit: I have just checked and Henry Krank do Sierra .303 (Expanding) Bullet Heads in 125g, 150g and 180g (All in per packs of 100) at £20.80, £23.00 and £24.50 (respectively) which doesn't seem too steep and should give plenty of scope for whatever quarry you wish to take.

Edited by Frenchieboy

Bet the 125grn would be all you need! Not meaning to sound presumptous but I did just fine with 110grn V-max's in my last 308 and they were as flat as a very flat thing over a long ways!

I bet they would be flat enough to not think about it over 200yds from a 303.

When we got you sorted with a 303 then we can get someone to use the other great overlooked cartridge......45/70 :yes::good:

U :)

Bet the 125grn would be all you need! Not meaning to sound presumptous but I did just fine with 110grn V-max's in my last 308 and they were as flat as a very flat thing over a long ways!

When we got you sorted with a 303 then we can get someone to use the other great overlooked cartridge......45/70 :yes::good:

I wouldn't have wanted to go all that heavy anyhow so if I opt for the .303 then I would be trying both the 125g and the 150g to compare them. :yes: I couldn't really see a need for the 180g :no: - i haven't come across many buffallo on my permissions! :lol::lol::lol:

As things stand I still haven't made a definite decision but I will say that I am now up to about 75/25 in favour of the .303 against my .243 so watch this space, there might be a complete .243 outfit for sale soon - Rifle, scopes, moderator, reloading gear and 100 odd rounds of ammunition, all zeroed up and ready to shoot!! :yes:

Buffalo anyone..!

Lovley calibre.

Here ya go Frenchieboy,

Dauntseys prices...

.303 British

Prvi Partizan A143 FMJ BT .303 British FMJ BT 174gr Rifle Ammunition 20 £14.92

Sellier & Bellot SB-112 SP .303 British 150gr SP 20 £20.09

Cheers for that. I have just got the data through for reloading too!

I really think you should go for it. If a gun feels nice you're most of the way to perfection. If it then shoots straight and hits hard enough what more could you need?

I know little about the calibre, but a simple look at the muzzle energy produced and the size/weight of the projectile suggests that it will knock most things over cleanly with the right bullet. On top of that it's a little bit unusual these days, which makes the whole idea so much more attractive! I hate anything common. Common is boring. :lol:

I really think you should go for it. If a gun feels nice you're most of the way to perfection. If it then shoots straight and hits hard enough what more could you need?

I know little about the calibre, but a simple look at the muzzle energy produced and the size/weight of the projectile suggests that it will knock most things over cleanly with the right bullet. On top of that it's a little bit unusual these days, which makes the whole idea so much more attractive! I hate anything common. Common is boring. :lol:

Thanks for the vote of confidence mate! I have now just about made my decision. I am very happy with what has been said in all the replies and the rifle really does feel so good to handle and comes to my shoulder a real treat (Yes, I did handle it/dribbled over it again this morning when I went to our clay club shoot and had to go in to the gun shop for something) I will be phoning my Firearms Office in the morning to make sure that there will be no problems getting it on my ticket in place of the .243 and if all is well (And to be honest I can't see any problems) I will almost certainly be ironing out a deal for the .303 on Wednesday. Depending on how things go on Wednesday you could well see my .243 (Complete outfit) up for sale on here on Wednesday evening.

All being well I will then be getting the .303 "reserved with my name on it" and my variation will be going in. Hopefully the 303 will legally be in my posession and ready for use in a couple of weeks time as my Firearms Office has got quite quick recently!

Edit: I know what you mean about it being a bit unusual these days - I have always seen and recognised the Lee Enfield .303 as a bit of a "Classic" in it's own right - And this one really is in extremely good condition and very pleasing to the eye!

Edited by Frenchieboy

Well the decision is made!

My Firearms office said that there is no problem with me having a .303 for Deer and AOLQ and I have "negociated" a great price for the Lee Enfield (Sporterised) Mk 4 .303 and it now has my name on it for as soon as I get my variation done, which my firearms office have said can be done very quickly.

At the moment I have someone who is very interested in my .243 outfit so I am giving him first refusal. If that deal does not materialise then it will be up for sale quite soon.

Now comes the stage of being like a child waiting for Christmas!

Well the decision is made!

My Firearms office said that there is no problem with me having a .303 for Deer and AOLQ and I have "negociated" a great price for the Lee Enfield (Sporterised) Mk 4 .303 and it now has my name on it for as soon as I get my variation done, which my firearms office have said can be done very quickly.

At the moment I have someone who is very interested in my .243 outfit so I am giving him first refusal. If that deal does not materialise then it will be up for sale quite soon.

Now comes the stage of being like a child waiting for Christmas!

Nice one mate, would love to have go of your Lee Enfield when you are zeroing in :good: