magpie decoying

mikesy

Hi all,

I have a few magpies in my freezer and was hoping to use them out in the field as there seem to be quite a few about just now.

Can anyone tell me if a magpie on a flapper or even just put on cradles will pull them in ?

I do well on the crows using a flapper and was hoping it would do likewise for the magpies.

Thanks

I have never tryed them on the flapper but my cradles are a bit On the big side for magpies but they do the job . The main thing I find with magpies is don't let any get away , I find

If you let one get away you'll not see another all day . Quiet afew times I have managed to bag 3 magpies whilst decoying crows

Edited by alastair0903

Great ,thanks for the replies.

Weather permitting , I'll be out tomorrow morning.

Funnily enough , yesterday there were a few about making a racket, missed the first one and never heard anything after that!

Meant to ask , is it a case of the more decoys the merrier or should I stick to one or two.

I'll have a look around on the net as I've tried various home made rattles but never had much success.

Thanks

tubs of pellets, boxes of matches etc. do work. problem is they require MOVEMENT to operate em.

the slightest movement and magpies is not a good mix :no:

maybe this is why you've not had much success.

if you take magpies on out in the field, you're taking them on in their back yard. much better to take em on in the farmyard or around farm buildings if possible, and get hidden and comfortable, well back inside the building :good:

a dead magpie is the best thing to "bait" them with by a country mile.

I've seen them on *b*y, I'll probably get one as they are quite cheap.

i have a Sam Neyt crow caller, expensive but worth the money and its great for the crows though it takes a fair bit of practice to get the call right,( better than the Primos Power caller) imo.

Cheers

I tried the dead rabbit with a single magpie decoy placed about 4 mt from the rabbit.

Within the hour , I got 2 magpies, both of which landed in between the rabbit and the decoy ,worked a treat,also worked well for the crows , thanks all for the advice.

Happy hunting!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
On 24/11/2013 at 12:15, Bewsher500 said:

old film canister with air pellets in it works a treat

Twist of wire round the middle for a short handle means you can shake without t moving your arm

never had much luck with static decoys for magpies, drives the local bird population nuts though!

Years ago was given a plastic tablets container with dried peas. Gave it a try but never succesful.  Most of my magpies are taken when they come into squirrel or pheasant feeders OR on the slurry pit of course ...194 now in just over 2yrs on the one pit, where I have a permanent blind set against the end wall.  Patience is a virtue though, sometimes three hours and no takers.

• 5 weeks later...
On 06/11/2013 at 12:37, the pigeon man said:

Box on matches for a call is the best I have used

But shhhh don't tell any one it's a secrete

Sorry late on the boat, just spotted this post.

I'd forgotten about the matchbox trick.

A while ago I was supposed to be creasoting my fence but ended up calling in and shooting 6 magpies with a large kitchen matchbox with 3/4 of the matches emptied out.

Edited by Robertt