Making all air rifles FAC or similar licensing system

naddan28

Would you approve a FAC or Similar System for all Air Rifles?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Would you approve a FAC or Similar System for all Air Rifles?

• Yes
    • No

I give up. You have beaten me down with your stupidity and arrogance.

I take every shot as though I was being watched and scrutinised, for all I know I could be. Whilst I fully admit that I am not perfect I like to think I learn from my mistakes, not just go out and repeat them for the fun of it.

This is a nanny state and yes it is good to go out and buck the trend with a good fun past time, but if all you are doing is going out shooting because it isn't "p.c." then you are a bigger fool than you let on.

I VOTED YES TO PUTTING AIR RIFLES ON A TICKET AND IF IT STOPS NUMPTIES LIKE YOU GETTING YOUR HANDS ON THEM THEN IT CAN ONLY BE A GOOD THING.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snakebite

That is not what has been said anywhere - please try to be a little more tolerant to those with an alternative viewpoint on being 'responsible'.

To all

Please don't let this deteriorate into the sort of thread we have become accustomed to elsewhere. I am sure all who post on this forum are genuinely concerned with safety and would deliberately do nothing to jeopardize someones else's shooting by unacceptable attitudes or practices.

BUT each to his own and using a drinks tin as a target I find totally acceptable. I occasionally do so myself with centre fire deer rifles to check zero at 100yd before going to a high seat. The silver stands out clearly in the twilight. There is little difference between a full and an empty can. The important part is clearing up the debris afterwards.

at the end of the day an air rifle is a dangerous weapon and should be treated with respect, shooting at arosol cans is plain idiotic - so what if you are in the middle of a field what if the wind carries the pellet of target and penatrates the can in the places - it then takes of like a guided misile healding towards you or someone else then explodes and someone is injured :lol:???

is it just fun then ?

I am not anti gun or anti hunting just anti idiot

'scuse me, but the pellet penatrates the can and all the compressed air is expelled from the cylinder, so therefore its not going to hit anybody then explode, the "exploding" is done when the pellet hits the can. And even if it does take off, wouldn't it be more like an unguided missle anyway?

If you want to see something spectacular (and safe) try shooting an overripe melon at 100yds with a 70grn V-max out of a .243. :lol:

This really is something to see, and also gives an idea of how the bullet works.

I must stress that this was done as an experiment to see how fast the bullet expanded, and was also done with an orange to see if that would also react in the same way…………it did. :lol:

Very informative as well as being a lot of fun. Just make sure of your backstop. :lol:

G.M.

I'm am afraid this Nanny State is becoming less and less attractive to young and old alike so I suppose whatever you do Vulcha just don't tell anyone about it publicly on a forum.

If we are honest we are all guilty of this to a greater or lesser extent, but as you said don't preach it!

Vulcha, keep on doing what you are doing whilst you can because it's idiots like you that will kill this sport.

So you reckon that if I get seen shooting and aerosol can, they're gonna ban air rifles? I can't see that happening to be honest. Also, I'm in no way an "idiot". Its not like I position the aerosol can so when I hit it it flys through a window. Thats idiotic. Shooting people and their pets is idiotic, and I don't do either of them. I think the only idiot here is you for being so close minded about the whole thing. Its a fun target, nobodys been hurt and nobodys ever complained about it. We all shoot because we enjoy it right? Well, my way of enjoying plinking is by firing at targets that have a bit of a reaction when you hit them, rather than just a hole in a piece of paper. I like plinking at anything thats gonna break when I hit it, like little army men and stuff. And it all gets cleared up after, nobody would even know we'd been there, so whats the problem with it? Nothing, thats what.

I voted yes.

We have to have all firearms on a FAC and it is not enfringement on anything other than your waiting time which over here is a pain. But if it keeps up the good name of shooting and registers anyone with firearm that is a good thing. This should stop or at least have a detaction balistics system to catch anyone using a gun on quarry they shouldn't, like park swans etc. Any weapon that can kill should be registered to an owner and that applies to knifes. If you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to hide.

I see two basic problems with licensing, either air guns or any other weapons for that matter.

Firstly the complexity and inequality (area to area) of the present licensing system

Secondly the Police Authorities who try to run the admin on a local basis weapon by weapon.

It has always seemed to me that guns are inoffensive, harmless, inanimate objects and as such need no licensing whatsoever. BUT People on the other hand are diverse and devious and it should be there that the licensing begins.

If you want a gun you get a gun licence. It matters not what sort of gun - you still need a licence. The licence should also include 3rd party insurance cover in its cost. You upgrade your licence annually along with compulsory insurance cover for the type of weapon you wish to hold. If testing (written and practical) is required it would be appropriate to incorporate it at grant and re-grading of licences.

Grade 1 Air weapons

Grade 2 Shotguns

Grade 3 Rimfire Weapons

Grade 4 Centrefire Weapons

Grade 5 Handguns

Any Govt Dept could organize the admin (DVLA ?) and the only time the Police need be involved is in the initial assessment of the individual and also the ability to view the computer records of all licence holders just as they do for vehicle licences.

Individuals would renew annually and reaffirm a legal undertaking on each occasion both with regards to use and safe keeping. Every 3rd year the licence would be reviewed for validity and individual reassessment by the Police. Costs would be scaled appropriate to Initial Grant, Renewal, and Reassessment.

There would be no need to apply for variation applications you just buy and sell whatever you wish to possess within the category of your licence and notify the licensing dept accordingly on the internet. If you are safe to have one rifle surely you are safe to have more than one.

Penalties for non compliance and disregard of your affirmed commitments could be as severe or light as the public attitude demanded.

The cost would be half the present system – the security twice as great. More importantly the shooting community would be ten times happier about the lack of paperwork and the availability to buy and sell more easily.

I appreciate there would be other detail that would need to be considered but the above would be an excellent start. So yes I do see a reason and to a certain extent a need to licence Air Guns and incoprporate them into the shooting sphere as a whole..

It has always seemed to me that guns are inoffensive, harmless, inanimate objects and as such need no licensing whatsoever. BUT People on the other hand are diverse and devious and it should be there that the licensing begins.

Absolutely spot on :good:

Good idea too,with the varying "Grades" but on a personal note I would prefer to keep the 5year for shotguns and up.

as old old saying goes............it's people that shoot people not guns............it is the sad state of the soceity that breeds the idiots who commit these atrocities..........the government need to take a good hard luck at itself and stop penalising the decent folk amongst us..............but this has been said times many.....and the saga continues still B) :good:

I've seen some good points put across on this forum, and your one hits the nail clean on the head, nice one.

I Also think that with some sort of licence it would be harder for ''moron chavs'' (lol) to get hold of them

it wont though, how many air rifles do you think are out there now.

how would you get these guns registered. crims and dorks dont give a flying * for the laws.

I agree totaly with markbivvy, they dont give a **** for the laws, and if air guns were to be registered/licensed i reckon they would seem more appealling to these idiots and they would all want one? :good: