Big Red Too Randy For His Own Good!

Elk hunter

Had a call late last night from a client asking me if I could remove a stag it had jumped the fence in a moment of madness and had disappeared looking for love. He could be heard calling, so was not to far away. So I headed out first thing walked and glassed the perimeter of the farm but no stag insight.

The stockman gave me a call to say the stag was back. It was obvious that he had jumped back over the 9 foot fence to be with the ladies. Only he wasn't with the ladies, just the cull stags and yearlings. Owner informed me to shoot the stag as if he got out again he may not come back.

Asked him if he wanted it left till weekend as I have a novice stalker coming. The answer was No! he could not risk it leaving again.

Shame I had to shoot it as it would have been an Awsome first deer for my Beginners Day!

Andrew

f8811cfddcbec325bed6ec9299a94256.jpg

Edited by Elk hunter

That is a fine head but why would anyone want to have a head from a reared stag mounted?

Luckily I don't have to justify what I do. I have to cull many stags for three different clients. One client is happy for an inexperienced stalkers to have the Oppertunity to cull a stag and learn how to gralloch and prosess a carcass. If they wish a good head then so be it, Im all for it because not many novice stalkers get to take such a large animal be it park or wild. Plus i know stalkers of many years never taking such a large animal. But you only have to look at my advert I do not cull stags purely for the wall, training first all the way. Ask anyone who has been out with me.

So I hope this answers your question on Why!

Andrew

Edited by Elk hunter

Luckily I don't have to justify what I do. I have to cull many stags for three different clients. One client is happy for an inexperienced stalkers to have the Oppertunity to cull a stag and learn how to gralloch and prosess a carcass. If they wish a good head then so be it, Im all for it because not many novice stalkers get to take such a large animal be it park or wild. Plus i know stalkers of many years never taking such a large animal. But you only have to look at my advert I do not cull stags purely for the wall, training first all the way. Ask anyone who has been out with me.

Andrew

Well said Andrew :good:

I learnt a lot from my day with Andrew and would highly recommend anyone who is a novice shooter (like myself with a rifle) or an experienced shot to go and let Andrew share his knowledge. Well worth a day off work :good:

Andrew

i have been out on a day with Andrew, and it was time and money well spent.

Park animal or not it's still a big head. Tbh getting something mounted is more about preserving a memory than ticking a box,(be a stag off a hill or in a park). I've got 2 pintail I'm needing to send off when funds allow :D

I'm of that view as well but I wouldn't want a trophy of a captive animal I had to shoot. That's nothing against the poster in any way just it's not a animal that would make a memory like a stag on the hill or a decent deer of any species shot in the wild. It's basically just a slaughterman job

i drove over to andrews set up but didn't get to shoot (fog) but rest assured i will be going back as just the information i got from him on carcass splitting was enough for the drive and free what more can you ask.

as for its just a slaughter man well thats not quite right as they are in a very large area to roam free so its not like they are in a barn or shed..... also in reply to the park or wild i think if we are stand up people who profess to love all things hunter gatherer we would want to utilise every bit of the beast.

by the way andrew the venison liver off artschools beast was to die for