How's the season going for you all ?

As title states.

Its going well for us. Went very well. First day was more duck and partridge and a few mature pheasants, where we ended up with 26 duck, 14 partridge and 9 pheasants

Last Saturday we got 25 duck, 22 partridge and 29 pheasant.

Next Saturday should go better if we have some hard weather. Just want a few frosts to bring em back to some good food. Not so keen on snow though ! Buggas the gamecover !

How are all your days and birds going ?

Partridge and ducks have flown well. Lots of wild Mallard and Geese about, have already shot more geese than last season.

Pheasants are holding well so far. Got our first pheasant day in a couple of weeks. Have also seen a couple of Woodcock already.

So far so good :)

Only a small shoot but we managed,

15 pheasant

2 partridge

1 snipe - Two weeks ago

Sat just gone,

23 pheasant

9 duck

2 pigeon

1 fox

Not bad really since we don't release and partridge or duck. As you have mentioned could do with a bit of cold weather to really get them going

Great so far, seeing loads of birds over the guns compared to the last 2 seasons.

Got my birds later this year and in 2 stages also kept them on pellets a lot longer which seems to have helped.

Only had 2 days but bags in the 80's and guns averaging a shot to kill ration of 5.5 - 1

Praying for cold weather now

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rimotu66

Started well although like some the pheasants have been slow to put on weight and mature, really having trouble keeping them and starting to get a little worried about the lack of birds as I drive around the shoot, they just do not seem very interested in the pellets or corn, it could be a lean 2nd half of the season.

I'm worried n all mate I started the season well have hit the bags I wanted n got a big ish day at the weekend for the landowner n I'm not seeing hardly anything but due to the gale force wind smashing a lot of my maize down i think there just living off that also with that north wind there keeping there heads down n all just hope there where I want them Saturday !

we've had three good days so far, 44 to 48. For some reason we see lots of Partridge during the week but we don't get many in the bag.

Got our first mid-week day tomorrow. It's been so mild that the Rape is still growing strongly so a lot of birds sit tight in that.

We're only a small shoot so we've been pleased so far with the numbers holding but we're starting to see a lot wandering off the plot now and we're getting plagued by Squirrels on the feeders. Trapped 12 this week alone and there's loads left. I need to spend a bit more time sat with the air rifle.

Started well although like some the pheasants have been slow to put on weight and mature, really having trouble keeping them and starting to get a little worried about the lack of birds as I drive around the shoot, they just do not seem very interested in the pellets or corn, it could be a lean 2nd half of the season.

Same here, and still 5 days To go, need some cold weather to get the cover down in the woods, but stopped to get a shot at a squirrel this morning and had 7pheasants out at the feed hopper in side 10 minuets so hopefully they are hearing the truck and hiding.?

Guest rimotu66

That's a great day you had there Matt, dare I ask how many birds you put down?

I guess everything is relative, number of birds put down, ground layout, number of keepers etc.

We put down 950 pheasant poults and 250 12 w/o red leg partridges, too be honest we were a little disappointed with the last day as we'd hoped for 100+ head.

We will have 2 more invite days on the 18/12 and 3/01 and then a beaters day on either the 18 or 25 of Jan.

Our little shoot is spread fairly far and wide with 5 drives in one area (550 birds go here), 3 in another area (400) then another 3 in a different area (250), we cover a good bit of ground over the course of a shoot day.

We aim to do 7 drives a day as most of them don't take to long.

Our ground is mainly thick hedges with a cover crop, little spinneys with cover crop and one wood drive also with cover crop.

We do have neighbours who also release but this is not and a grand scale, something along the same lines as what we do, so it's a bit of give and take on both sides.

There are 3 of us who run the shoot taking 3 guns each on the first and last days, with the middle 3 days being our own days and inviting 10 guns on each.

• 2 weeks later...

Small syndicate days have gone well so far. The next will be our fifth. The keepers locally have had much work to do dogging in as there was(and still is) much wild food available, and those birds in cover have been sitting tight from day one.

From 350 released we've so far had: 39 pheasant 2 woodcock and 2 pigeon.

46 pheasant 2 woodcock

42 pheasant 1 jay and 3 pigeon and a Roe doe!

37 pheasant 2 pigeon

Rough shoot, from 175 ex layers released:

19 pheasant 1 rabbit 2 mallard and 1 teal

15 pheasant

14 pheasant

15 pheasant There are plenty about, but a combination of poor (one bloke fired one box... that's 25 cartridges for 1 bird!) shooting and guns having the craic and laughing (loudly) while walking about means the birds know we're on our way!

6-1 for lads is not a bad average especially if the wind was anything like it was here on the coast yesterday.

I was out picking up, not only did it make the shooting challenging but the also picking up, wounded birds were carrying along , long way back.

They managed 362 for 1357 shots, these were syndicate guns that normally shot around 2.5 - 1

• 2 weeks later...