How's the season going for you all ?

That's good going, shoot I am on put down 700 and only shot 83 to date! Need to know how you treat them and keep them?!

I think perhaps our situation is helped by the sheer numbers of shoots in our region. Another little shoot near us put down 50 ex-layers on their land, ringed them all, and have so far shot 48 but not one bird has had a ring on!

I think perhaps our situation is helped by the sheer numbers of shoots in our region. Another little shoot near us put down 50 ex-layers on their land, ringed them all, and have so far shot 48 but not one bird has had a ring on!

Why are they wasting money in putting down birds then haha??

Our shoot has a return of 40.5% on the pheasant and 25% on the partridge with two shoots to go, average total head is 79

Edited by Millomite

Why are they wasting money in putting down birds then haha??

Fair point, and one which they had considered, but thought it unfair to entice birds from other shoots without putting down their own.They are all teenagers (one of whom is my 19 year old nephew) and it is just a token gesture really.

Fair point, and one which they had considered, but thought it unfair to entice birds from other shoots without putting down their own.They are all teenagers (one of whom is my 19 year old nephew) and it is just a token gesture really.

Very good attitude.

Nothing worse than a shoot not releasing but feeding in the neighbours birds deliberately for their own sport. (I am not talking about the occasional walk around a farm with a few mates afffairs but fortnightly organised shoots).

Our syndicate shoot season has finished now barring a walk round on Saturday. We put down 1500 pheasants and 325 ducks. We shot 520 pheasants, 216 ducks, 6 woodcock and 21 other for a total bag of 763 and 2612 shots. We have ten days shooting, eight for the syndicate, a farmer's day and beater's day. The daily totals were 114, 92, 104, 96, 66, 79, 38, 91, 51 and 32. A much improved season from previous years, I think a lot had to do with the success of our cover crops this time.

had our beaters day last Wednesday, well beaters day makes it sound a bit grander than it was, as we only have four beaters and only two of them shoot. So those two joined three of us for the final day, no Grey Partridge, ruthless with the cock pheasants and good hens only. After a shakey start (first drive 15 shots for a woodcock and a squirrel) we all got our eye in and finished with a bag of 36, the biggest of the season, including 26 pheasants and 5 woodcock.

Had a final walk around on the first for another seven cocks and left all the hens. Return was 128 pheasants from six shoots plus various partridge, woodcock etc to bring the total bag to just over 150.