65mm chamber, best carts for game and clays?

As above. I have recently bought a English boxlock with 2 1/2 inch chambers. I had some Eley VIP's 67mm in 30/6's and the writing on the box said for use in 2 1/2" chambers. After inspecting the fired cartridge i noticed some "feathering" around the open crimp. I have bought some Lyalvale Express 65mm and am finding them ok on the game but am open to other sugestions for a game cart.

Now for clays I have been using Hull Super Comp in 21g but I feel I am at a disadvantage as I am not getting the results that I normally do when I use Hull Super fast 27g through my other guns. Before anyone says use the other guns for clays, I am enjoying using the boxlock and am keen to find the sweet spot sooner rather than later.

On the game I am doing quite well, Shot a +50yrd high partridge last week, 5 grouse on a mini driven day and a few challenging pheasants all with the boxlock.

What are your thoughts and opinions on the best 65mm Cartridges for use through my 2 1/2" English boxlock for Clays and Game?

Thanks in advance.

SABS

i like to use these in my sxs good game carts and pull the high birds down.

eley and hull do some fine game loads for 2 1/2" but the gamebore are very good imo bit punchy though after a fair few.

not sure about clays as i never really shoot them with the sxs but i would imagine a lightish load 24gm etc would be best.

post-57269-0-92474200-1384115696_thumb.jpg

Clays? Lyalvale H.V. 65mm 24 or 28 gram.

i like to use these in my sxs good game carts and pull the high birds down.

eley and hull do some fine game loads for 2 1/2" but the gamebore are very good imo bit punchy though after a fair few.

not sure about clays as i never really shoot them with the sxs but i would imagine a lightish load 24gm etc would be best.

Gamebore Pure Gold are a good game cartridge and loaded in a 65mm case

Will have a look out for some of these. Thanks for the heads up :good:

RC prestige 30grams 5's

Also available in 6's

Clays 24gram eley first 7.5

But each to your own

Eley firsts would be my first choice for clays, as I shoot them well through my other guns. However they are in 67mm cases and I don't want to risk damaging the boxlock

Could always take up reloading!

Trim down once fired 70mm carts to give a fresh crimp area! Thats what I am doing!.

Haven't got the confidence to try reloading, I'm too much of a pyromaniac and would want to make fireworks :lol:

Worth a thought though, especially as the 65mm are short on choice.

Hull Cartridge Imperial Game 28g No 6 65mm case.

These would have been my first choice for game, But my supplier was out of stock when I realised the VIP's were too long

For game I use Hull Imperial, 30g 5's. I have lots of confidence in them and they pattern well through my gun.

Clay cartridges I use 21g Hull Comp X, 7.5's. They may not be better or worse than any other clay catridge, but I am not a competitive clay shooter and I am happy with them.

For game I use Hull Imperial, 30g 5's. I have lots of confidence in them and they pattern well through my gun.

Clay cartridges I use 21g Hull Comp X, 7.5's. They may not be better or worse than any other clay catridge, but I am not a competitive clay shooter and I am happy with them.

I am using hull comp x in 21g at the moment for clays, but I am not getting on with them. I couldn't get consistent result when I use them in my other guns either, but with Eley first in the same weight I was breaking 80/90%. They are just a tad to long for my chamber :sad1:

Eley First, 67mm?

They will be fine in a 2 1/2" gun. I have an old 2 1/2 and happily use any 65/67mm chambered cartridge.

I am using hull comp x in 21g at the moment for clays, but I am not getting on with them. I couldn't get consistent result when I use them in my other guns either, but with Eley first in the same weight I was breaking 80/90%. They are just a tad to long for my chamber :sad1:

Edited by Penelope

Does using 67mm cartridges do any damage to a 2 1/2 inch chamber? I just bought some 67mm cartridges for a 2 1/2 inch chamber. On the box it says it is ok so surely it won't damage the gun?

When I used VIP's (67mm) I noticed that the open end looked like it had been "stretched" the plastic was rough and thin. I don't want to risk any damage to the barrels from the increase in pressure that might be there.

65mm are fine and leave a "clean cartridge" just the 67's look "rough"

On mine the 67's were okay but like you they are at the bottom of the cartridge box now. While they are fine, and i shot a left and a right with some, i found there was about three mill of plastic that looked like it had been under a bit more pressure, so for safe measure ( damascus nitro proof barrels ) i am not using them at the moment. Got a load of gamebore 30g 6's. Tbh i never got on with them before in my Over under, but then started off quite well with them in the SXS. Anyway the other day made a tit of my self and missed every bird near enough. Can't be the cartridges, i just had a **** day.

When its a 100+ year old contraption holding an explosion a few inches away from your face you can't be over cautious. Yeh its 2mm, but then again where do you stop? Nearly ran out of cartridges the other day and someone gave me some 70mm carts saying its only 5mm. I wont take my chances.

65mm Gamebore 30g 6, or 32g 5's will do fine. Those are the only 65mm carts i have ever experienced.