Problem with my spaniel in cover during darkness

I seem to have a problem with my spaniel not going into cover when it's dark.

I don't want to throw a dummy in because she associates that with pleasure.I don't now why i want her to go into cover at night but with the dark nights i want her to practice going into cover.

i have not forced the issue but just wondered if they don't work cover when it's dark.

I don't have this problem during the day when it's light she is a hard working dog not the fastest but she does whats she's told even on rabbits and gunfire.

Could anybody advise please.

Thanks

Neil

I think you dog has got common sense, I wouldn't run headlong into a thorny hedge at night either. If there is no need for it to go into cover in the dark then let it go, it's just not an issue as you won't be doing that with a gun, plus there is a greater possibility of injury at night.

Edited by FalconFN

i would never work my dogs IN COVER in the dark.......you are just asking for trouble....imajine how you would feel if it came back to you with its eye jagged out !!!!

however i do work my dogs in the dark on the marshes at the end of the duck flight all they have to deal with is reeds rushes grass and water,

if this is what you want to do, then start training you dog in the garden where know it is safe , with dummies and dead ducks

Thanks for all the replies guys,

And your right but the problem is that when we are out shooting she is reluctant to go into cover when there is no sent she just sicks her nose in.

so i just wanted to practice, but the dark nights have now upon us so its just the weekends then.

Thank you all for responding it is my first dog and she is now three years old.

Neil

I am not going to bother with sending her into cover during darkness because there is no need i don't shoot at night with my shotgun so i am not going to risk injury.

I took her rough shooting this morning and she flushed a rabbit out of thick nettles and sat on the whistle,the rabbit got shot and she retrieved straight to me and now the rabbit is in my belly.

The reason i don't want to throw dummies into cover is i don't want the dog to associate getting nettled with retrieving dummies.

I am not going to bother with sending her into cover during darkness because there is no need i don't shoot at night with my shotgun so i am not going to risk injury.

I took her rough shooting this morning and she flushed a rabbit out of thick nettles and sat on the whistle,the rabbit got shot and she retrieved straight to me and now the rabbit is in my belly.

The reason i don't want to throw dummies into cover is i don't want the dog to associate getting nettled with retrieving dummies.

I'm awfully sorry but I don't understand this at all. You won't throw a dummy in to encourage her to hunt cover because she might get nettled but it's fine to send her in with no reward at the end and risk it anyway? Reward = trusting you when you tell her to go in that there's something worth going in for. Without this trust you'll never train on blinds...

I'm awfully sorry but I don't understand this at all. You won't throw a dummy in to encourage her to hunt cover because she might get nettled but it's fine to send her in with no reward at the end and risk it anyway? Reward = trusting you when you tell her to go in that there's something worth going in for. Without this trust you'll never train on blinds...

I don't understand me either......lol

thanks for the advice......

You have thick nettles at this time of year?

Lol I have the same problem ;)

Are you coming beating on our shoot? I notice Paul223 commented on your 'beater available' post :)

Yes i am.

i was going to come on the first shoot but my dog ran through some barb wire and injured herself.

I have done a duck shoot with her this year and 2 pheasant shoots and she did very well on both and remained steady,

She just just won't go into thick cover with nettles unless there is sent,if there is she will turn the cover upside down.

Thanks Neil