`at risk` of redundancy

woody walloper

Does anyone know how long you can be ` at risk ` of redundancy ?? my other half was told her job is being made redundant due to a re structure of her department, shes had her one to one and her letter stating her package, but it says `at risk` so as you can imagine after 10 weeks and still no date its getting to be abit much . . . . .

I'm sorry to put a downer on it, but in my experience at this point the decision has already been made, it's just process .

But, this might be just be my experience working for large companies .

In terms of the timeline, don't they usually set this out and update it as part of the consultation ?

Edited by pegasus bridge

Does anyone know how long you can be ` at risk ` of redundancy ?? my other half was told her job is being made redundant due to a re structure of her department, shes had her one to one and her letter stating her package, but it says `at risk` so as you can imagine after 10 weeks and still no date its getting to be abit much . . . . .

This is a horrible, horrible, horrible position to be in.

My Co. did the same last year and a colleague was told 2 days before his 2 week family holiday overseas. It wasn't his best break.......

Edited by junctiontwo

Shes had her consultation and they said 31st october, which has been and gone, her team leader role is being replaced by a supervisor and as

there are 4 of them they are still interviewing for them roles so she will be made redundant whenever they get the people to start, just wondered

for how long they can keep saying that shes at risk when she knows her days are numbered :-( knows more and does more than some of them in

her department and shes going, problem being a big company who no longer care about their workforce, she asked her HR about NI to see how

many more years for full pension and was told 40 years ( its not its 30) and look on the computer fot the phone number, very little support from

them or her boss. . . . . .

thanks for your replys

thanks for replies, shes been there 8 years so 11 1/2 weeks redundancy and 8 weeks in lieu so shes trying to hang in there for that

but not coping well so thats what Ive told her just to leave but her problem is she cares about her leaving work mates in it and a son in afghanistan isnt helping either,

but hey ho roll on the new year,

can only get better. . . . . . just need to watch the news and we know we`re all better off than some. . . . . .

thanks for replies, shes been there 8 years so 11 1/2 weeks redundancy and 8 weeks in lieu so shes trying to hang in there for that

but not coping well so thats what Ive told her just to leave but her problem is she cares about her leaving work mates in it and a son in afghanistan isnt helping either,

but hey ho roll on the new year,

can only get better. . . . . . just need to watch the news and we know we`re all better off than some. . . . . .

I know it's tough, but tell her to hang on in there, Try and get them to wrap the notice in lieu paid as a redundancy payment so she doesn't have to pay tax on it , although the company may not play ball. If they've cocked the process up , use this to negotiate with, big companies would sooner draw a line under this with some cash and a compromise agreement rather than risk a tribunal . Good luck, it will get easier!

"many more years for full pension and was told 40 years ( its not its 30) "

Just lifted this from The department of stealth and total obscurity , says 30yrs on there

To qualify for a basic State Pension at least 1 of the following must apply:

you were working and paying National Insurance

you were getting certain benefits, eg for unemployment, sickness

you were a parent or carer and claiming certain benefits or credits

you have a spouse or civil partner whose National Insurance contributions cover you

you were paying voluntary National Insurance contributions

You need 30 years worth of contributions or credits to get the full basic State Pension. These are your qualifying years.

If you have fewer than 30 years, your State Pension will be less than £110.15 per week but you might be able to top up by paying voluntary National Insurance contributions.

Also found this if it's relevant to you on the same gov site

Different for men born before 1945 and women born before 1950,

best to check it out I just googled "how many years work pension" and it's the first gov one that comes up

Edited by sishyplops

thats what they hope you will do go of your own accord so they dont have to pay you of.

This.

It's a miserable position to be in. I'm sorry to say she's got to keep her nose clean and her head down if she's to have any hope of redundancy money. Eight weeks at up to £450 is not to be sniffed-at when work is so scarce. However, the cost to your health during this period is massive - anxiety does nasty things to the toughest of us, and your family and relationships will suffer as a result.

Her employer will have jumped through all the consultation hoops required to ensure that they comply with the relevant legislation. Unfortunately it means the employees having to hang on, pretending it's business as usual, until the chop.

Grim. Keep looking around for other work, so that there's a chance of a quick turnaround when (and it's almost certainly 'when') she goes.

LS

I know it's tough, but tell her to hang on in there, Try and get them to wrap the notice in lieu paid as a redundancy payment so she doesn't have to pay tax on it , although the company may not play ball. If they've cocked the process up , use this to negotiate with, big companies would sooner draw a line under this with some cash and a compromise agreement rather than risk a tribunal . Good luck, it will get easier!

Be careful - PILON is not a right, it can only be enforced by an employee if it is in their contract of employment.

Suggest it, of course, but you have to be diplomatic.

Oh (and I cannot emphasise this enough) get proper legal advice.

LS

If you get put at Risk, start looking and interviewing ASAP. Its basically a **** way to say, you have no job here!

My Misses was put at risk a couple of years ago and then they made her redundant on New Years eve which was nice. However she went for a couple of new jobs and got one with a good pay rise and good opportunity so some times it can be a good thing!

Been made redundant twice, first time my small department (tape recorder and test gear servicing) was taken to one side and told not to worry, we were the only department in the company that consistently made a profit, next day I was asked to "just pop up and see Margaret in accounting", when I got in the office there was about 25 people, we were told to leave the premises and not come back, I was lucky that I was "staff" and not a "worker" I was allowed to return to my bench and gather my personal stuff first.

Second time our boss decided he didn't want to work for the company any longer (Swedish companies UK manufacturing plant) so they decided to close the factory. We were told in September we would be finished on December 21st, just in time for Christmas, what a miserable 3 months that was :(

As said above, all she can do is keep turning up and take the money. Best of luck to you both :)

thanks guys for all your input, it is an awful position to be in for anyone, and this close to home its no fun, she`ll find something else Im sure, the sooner she leaves

the better, prehaps I might get a new gun now for xmas. . . . . . . but she keeps telling me xmas is cancelled

Tell her one door closes another opens! DO NOT CANCEL XMAS over this!

She now knows what's what, and can now plan! Things are moving job wise now!

As regards her NI contributions, it depends how many years she has accrued already (women typically have less than men due to career breaks to have children) and how many years she has left to work. In other words how old she is... If she has plenty of time to reach a total of 30 years accrued, before she retires then don't sweat it. I was out of work for 2 years due to injury, and on returning to work was given the option to " buy back" the missing contributions. Would have cost me around £70 as a one off payment if I recall correctly. But there was no point as I was mid-forties so would still reach the magic 30 target anyway before retiring. Her payroll person at work will know which regional tax office handles their firm's account, and a quick call to their advice line will put her straight. Despite being HMRC, they are usually very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...