mallard call

olivhar01

The depth of water will have no bearing on the effect on the so called feeding call. In reality it is a mating call from a female mallard that she makes when a second drake comes too close to encite her mate. She makes it when a unwanted male comes too close by bobbing her head with her beak pointed towards the newcommer and usually away from her mate. I can never understand why its ever been called a feeding chatter or call , after it makes sence that its hard to call with a beak full of food.

I sugesst if anyone doubts this go down to your local duck pond and watch the ducks , what they are doing and saying.

That's interesting but forgive my doubt because 1. I haven't ever heard it when they sit on deep water and I was watching over 100 mallard very actively feeding and making this chatter at weekend over the shallows only. Any that landed outside in deeper water and swam in make no chatter 2. I cannot say I have ever noticed just the female making the chatter so I will certainly check that out closer likewise if I hear the chatter from a drake etc.3. Duck do not retain food in their beak of course. 4. Why should they make this call when they have not paired up and outside the pair bonded period? Of course the drake in most duck has a totally different range and note of call, so the fact that the female only might make this call cannot in itself link it to the claiming of a mate.

I don't think park or hand fed ducks are the best indicators I must say as they do so many un-natural things through being basically domesticated or at least semi-domesticated.

Never looked into the chatter in a truly scientific way but if I had to guess (which unless someone can lead us to a correctly controlled test might be the best any of us can manage) it might be made along the lines of "don't come to close this is my little area to feed in" rather than "stay away from my fella" of course incoming ducks then just get the message that there is feeding to be had in the general area. Perhaps many of the calls have different true meanings? the important thing is if they work in a set of circumstance, I know of no creature that seeks to draw in competitors to its food by design as such only the resting duck has anything to gain (in the way of safety in numbers) by drawing in more of its kind.

I have no connection to either him or his call making other than the fact that he is a mate of mine and we both belong to the same wildfowling club.

I mention him merely because he is a home grown,rather than American, call maker who produces a first class call at a very reasonable price point.

Any particular reason for asking?

I should think being a mate of his in the same club does sort of link you. Just your comments sort of made your connection of obvious nature during this thread. Yes the reason I ask is very obvious, thanks for coming clean

Glad to have clarified that for you. I have no business connection with Matt whatsoever.

I make that clear only because, I get the feeling that, had I been promoting some other proprietry brand of call, one made in the U.S. for example,that that fact would not have generated a comment. So be it, that`s not an issue.

Just a bit of background information. Until recently I was one of only two U.K. Pro Staffers for Buck Gardner Calls responsible for increasing U.K sales of their calls. Something I was quite successful at doing.

I have recently terminated that arrangement. In part because, when I heard and saw MPK`s call`s the thought struck me, why should I be devoting my time to promoting an American product when we are seeing a welcome growth in domestic call production, and at an exceptionally high standard of sound and visual finish.

As you probably realise, most of the U.S. made calls that we see and hear in the U.K. are from the lower end of the U.S. manufacturers scale of quality. As yet there appears to be little market for their more expensive, but better sounding, and looking, calls.

A significant part of the reason for that is that the inclusion of various import duties and taxes makes these top end calls very, very expensive to buy over here.

A popular U.S made, mass produced, plastic call cost`s about £7 ($12 ish.)in America. By the time it`s been imported, taxed,advertised,handled and sold by the U.K. retailer, that price has gone up to about £25.

For another £5 you can get a U.K. built call of the highest quality sound and visual appearance.

As a rough comparison, many U.S.makers produce a similar call to MPK. They sell over there for about $130 or some £80. Were you to import that call with the same overheads as the other example it would cost you about £200+.

At which point British made calls begin to look like very, very good value indeed.

Kent the idea that the chattering call is only made by females and is part of pair bonding is not not open to doubt. Just read any good book on wildfowl behaviour with authors such as Johnsgard , Ogilvie, Delacour and many WWT reports. I must confess a personal interest here too as a ecologist who has studied wildfowl for many years. I think the Myth of the " feeding chatter " comes from American hunters and nobody over here has ever challanged it. Its the same as so many people beleve that pigeons cant see in colour just because some stated it as fact in the shooting times years ago. Many experiments have been done that disprove it. Pigeons not only see in colour , but can see colours in wave lengths violet that we cant see.

October and November ( Birds of the Western Paleartic page 221 ) is the main pairing time for mallard ( which is why we so often flush mallard in pairs.) though late hatched birds and birds that have lost a mate will pair up anytime between the Autumn and spring. In you watch closely a group of tame mallard you will see them swimming around each other with the males tail wagging doing upward shakes and head flicks and mock preaning showing off the purple wing flash. As the males become more excited this will lead onto head and tail up displays and the male also has a quiet whistle. Dominate males will push weaker birds away as they show off to their female. Once the pair bond is formed the female does not want the attentions of other males and will encite her pair male with the so called "feeding chatter" to demonstrate to the newcommer that she already has a mate.

Nearly all the quacking calls a caller makes are female calls as the male only has a quiet soft quack like call ( quarrr quarrr ) which needs a special caller and cant be done on a normal caller. The male also whistles , but i have only ever heard this call during courtship. Mallard are the first duck to pair up along with gadwall , followed by wigeon and teal and lastly tufted duck and pochard.

I supose there might be a weak relationship with the " feeding call " and feeding in as much that many duck will draw togeather in a good feeding spot thus triggering courtship after feeding, but this behaviour is most often seen at day time roosting spots.

Next time any fowler has a spare hour go down to your local duck pond and spend time watching the duck. You will learn what is an alarm call and which is a call to attract others. Apart from which it will be an interesting afternoon.

Edited by anser2

Kent the idea that the chattering call is only made by females and is part of pair bonding is not not open to doubt. Just read any good book on wildfowl behaviour with authors such as Johnsgard , Ogilvie, Delacour and many WWT reports. I must confess a personal interest here too as a ecologist who has studied wildfowl for many years. I think the Myth of the " feeding chatter " comes from American hunters and nobody over here has ever challanged it. Its the same as so many people beleve that pigeons cant see in colour just because some stated it as fact in the shooting times years ago. Many experiments have been done that disprove it. Pigeons not only see in colour , but can see colours in wave lengths violet that we cant see.

October and November ( Birds of the Western Paleartic page 221 ) is the main pairing time for mallard ( which is why we so often flush mallard in pairs.) though late hatched birds and birds that have lost a mate will pair up anytime between the Autumn and spring. In you watch closely a group of tame mallard you will see them swimming around each other with the males tail wagging doing upward shakes and head flicks and mock preaning showing off the purple wing flash. As the males become more excited this will lead onto head and tail up displays and the male also has a quiet whistle. Dominate males will push weaker birds away as they show off to their female. Once the pair bond is formed the female does not want the attentions of other males and will encite her pair male with the so called "feeding chatter" to demonstrate to the newcommer that she already has a mate.

Nearly all the quacking calls a caller makes are female calls as the male only has a quiet soft quack like call ( quarrr quarrr ) which needs a special caller and cant be done on a normal caller. The male also whistles , but i have only ever heard this call during courtship. Mallard are the first duck to pair up along with gadwall , followed by wigeon and teal and lastly tufted duck and pochard.

I supose there might be a weak relationship with the " feeding call " and feeding in as much that many duck will draw togeather in a good feeding spot thus triggering courtship after feeding, but this behaviour is most often seen at day time roosting spots.

Next time any fowler has a spare hour go down to your local duck pond and spend time watching the duck. You will learn what is an alarm call and which is a call to attract others. Apart from which it will be an interesting afternoon.

This is very interesting, I claim to be no expert, but I have only heard the "feeding chatter/call" once (October time) and that was just after last light as I was leaving a small stream and a pair of mallard had landed just along from my position. As I walked past them (at a distance so not disturbing them) I heard this chattering call. I have always thought it was a feeding call, but I will keep an ear out from now on and go duck watching!! :)

Yes I must admit I cannot recall hearing chatter at night and it has stuck me why they might wish to share with others. Pigeon certainly aint colour blind I was looking at their use as spotters for air sea rescue not long back, I think it was orange that they could really zone in on, why should a bird be colour blind? nearly all male birds use colour in their display.

Glad to have clarified that for you. I have no business connection with Matt whatsoever.

I make that clear only because, I get the feeling that, had I been promoting some other proprietry brand of call, one made in the U.S. for example,that that fact would not have generated a comment. So be it, that`s not an issue.

Just a bit of background information. Until recently I was one of only two U.K. Pro Staffers for Buck Gardner Calls responsible for increasing U.K sales of their calls. Something I was quite successful at doing.

I have recently terminated that arrangement. In part because, when I heard and saw MPK`s call`s the thought struck me, why should I be devoting my time to promoting an American product when we are seeing a welcome growth in domestic call production, and at an exceptionally high standard of sound and visual finish.

As you probably realise, most of the U.S. made calls that we see and hear in the U.K. are from the lower end of the U.S. manufacturers scale of quality. As yet there appears to be little market for their more expensive, but better sounding, and looking, calls.

A significant part of the reason for that is that the inclusion of various import duties and taxes makes these top end calls very, very expensive to buy over here.

A popular U.S made, mass produced, plastic call cost`s about £7 ($12 ish.)in America. By the time it`s been imported, taxed,advertised,handled and sold by the U.K. retailer, that price has gone up to about £25.

For another £5 you can get a U.K. built call of the highest quality sound and visual appearance.

As a rough comparison, many U.S.makers produce a similar call to MPK. They sell over there for about $130 or some £80. Were you to import that call with the same overheads as the other example it would cost you about £200+.

At which point British made calls begin to look like very, very good value indeed.

I am all for British manufacturing, it might just be good to be up-front if you have any connection when endorsing or even putting forwards a named product. Funny thing is I bet 90% of those calls are made outside the USA anyhow by people who have never heard the ducks they are making calls to imitate

Evening all,

Sorry I hadn't seen this post I haven't been on here as much lately. Thought I would post some pictures up of what I have been doing lately so you see what I am about. I make them all myself out of the best quality, musical grade, tropical hardwoods.

F7A7BE3D-6021-4135-AE0A-29907E6F4057-715

0959F289-841E-484D-A2FE-EECDE604D463-715

DD44C011-9D74-4412-8433-D55B85260F17-715

E7C213C0-69C8-4910-8E7C-503F7367A6BD-715

49526B72-47B7-43D3-ADA2-0B0BC28716BA-715

9AA3F892-2B85-4910-8421-A3DA8BD6F5FD-715

938ABC93-7884-4CB4-9F0A-F18A9950E410-715

The 3 pictures at the top are a "matched pair" made from the same length of timber something that was a first for me.

You`re spot on there!

It`s quite a bone of contention amongst U.S. call makers that a lot of them, despite saying otherwise, actually have their calls manufactured in China!

I can garauntee you that MPK calls are made in Matts garage just up the road from me.

I hope you agree that I`ve been completely up front about my connection with, and endorsement of that particular product. I`m mildly curious to know your viewpoint on someone else coming on here and endorsing,say,Zink or Primos calls. I don`t think I`ve ever seen anyone being asked to explain their connection with a piece of equipment.

I shoot a Benelli. I shoot it `cos i like it.

I agree, considering my own observations.

Evening all,

Sorry I hadn't seen this post I haven't been on here as much lately. Thought I would post some pictures up of what I have been doing lately so you see what I am about. I make them all myself out of the best quality, musical grade, tropical hardwoods.

F7A7BE3D-6021-4135-AE0A-29907E6F4057-715

0959F289-841E-484D-A2FE-EECDE604D463-715

DD44C011-9D74-4412-8433-D55B85260F17-715

E7C213C0-69C8-4910-8E7C-503F7367A6BD-715

49526B72-47B7-43D3-ADA2-0B0BC28716BA-715

9AA3F892-2B85-4910-8421-A3DA8BD6F5FD-715

938ABC93-7884-4CB4-9F0A-F18A9950E410-715

The 3 pictures at the top are a "matched pair" made from the same length of timber something that was a first for me.

those look great, I especially like the deeper lanyard groove. The Sound board and reed is brought in from Abroad or you make it here also?

You`re spot on there!

It`s quite a bone of contention amongst U.S. call makers that a lot of them, despite saying otherwise, actually have their calls manufactured in China!

I can garauntee you that MPK calls are made in Matts garage just up the road from me.

I hope you agree that I`ve been completely up front about my connection with, and endorsement of that particular product. I`m mildly curious to know your viewpoint on someone else coming on here and endorsing,say,Zink or Primos calls. I don`t think I`ve ever seen anyone being asked to explain their connection with a piece of equipment.

I shoot a Benelli. I shoot it `cos i like it.

Benelli isn't based around the corner from you and you don't shoot with the owner! That's a big difference and IMO (based on a long career in sales and marketing) looses credibility of what might well be (and certainly looks like) a superb British made product. Just come out and say "my pall makes these - they are very nice etc" Hope you get my point

those look great, I especially like the deeper lanyard groove. The Sound board and reed is brought in from Abroad or you make it here also?

Thanks I appreciate your comments, I shoot so this all began because I wanted something specific that I was struggling to find. One of those points being the deeper lanyard groove. I used to find on certain calls it was very easy for the lanyard to slip on a groove that wasn't deep enough, especially when soaking. Also a lot of the mouthpieces were uncomfortable which is something I have been trying to resolve amongst other things.

For my lower price range of calls I get the inserts in from a championship winning call maker, mainly as it keeps the price down for the end user but also makes getting spares a lot quicker and easier and it's a simple plug and play process for the customer. Being the main "moving" part this is a great point. Plus they are extremely "ducky" sound wise.

I do more bespoke handmade inserts to go with the calls usually with matched grain, inlays etc etc but these are more expensive. Mainly as it's twice if not 3 times the work.

All my calls are finished in the exact same way with an extremely hard wearing finish. So weather you by the cheaper or more expensive call they are all built to the same exact basic high standard. The joy with the more expensive stuff is I/you can get a bit more creative with them.

Thanks I appreciate your comments, I shoot so this all began because I wanted something specific that I was struggling to find. One of those points being the deeper lanyard groove. I used to find on certain calls it was very easy for the lanyard to slip on a groove that wasn't deep enough, especially when soaking. Also a lot of the mouthpieces were uncomfortable which is something I have been trying to resolve amongst other things.

For my lower price range of calls I get the inserts in from a championship winning call maker, mainly as it keeps the price down for the end user but also makes getting spares a lot quicker and easier and it's a simple plug and play process for the customer. Being the main "moving" part this is a great point. Plus they are extremely "ducky" sound wise.

I do more bespoke handmade inserts to go with the calls usually with matched grain, inlays etc etc but these are more expensive. Mainly as it's twice if not 3 times the work.

All my calls are finished in the exact same way with an extremely hard wearing finish. So weather you by the cheaper or more expensive call they are all built to the same exact basic high standard. The joy with the more expensive stuff is I/you can get a bit more creative with them.

Sounds great do you have any other pictures of some other calls you have made?

Kent, I`m only joking with this mate but, if you look at a map you will see that GMK, the Benelli importer is err.......just up the road from me! In fact, it`s closer to me than MPK Custom Calls!

It`s a moral minefield, ain`t it?

Not really just some of us have different moral stds