Grant's tinned haggis

Thunderbird

There are two butchers in my town and at first glance one looks better than the other. Better location and more trendy decor - but - by far the best one is the one off the beaten track with freezers full of the good stuff, heart, kidneys, liver, ox cheeks, oxtail, shin...you name it he does it. Game galore, though I can't ever bring myself to buy game for obvious reasons. He's the one who gets the queues.

Massive home made faggots at 50p each are a billy bargain and are the best I've ever had.

The decent well priced butchers near me are halal. I need to drive for a bit to what you may call 'ethnic' areas to find good offal and pork.

Ever tried cows foot? It is the bit between the hoof and the shin. No meat, all cartilage, marrow and bone, but absolutely delicious when cooked right. Goes nicely when cooked with something like beef shin.

Edited by aris

I had tripe done a bit like that in Rome. Really good.

Yes, the process of cooking is similar. It is a popular tapas and restaurant dish in Spain called Callos. I love tripe, but finding good pre-cleaned tripe is not easy. Cleaning tripe is really a pain in the backside - better to buy it pre-cleaned.

I'd be interested if anyone on PW has ever made their own haggis. Must be a bit of a faff but probably worth it. Hardest thing is probably getting the spices right.

I'd say it is harder to find the ingredients, unless you are slaughtering yourself.

Edited by aris