How NOT to clean a moderator!

freeman

Had a spare hour tonight and thought I'd give one of the parker hale moderators a really good clean. It was thoroughly full of crud and for some reason, I thought I'd try some hot water and vinegar to shift the worst of it. The result?.. Completely stripped bluing and it's now a total rust magnet. :rolleyes:

IMG_0294.jpg

It may be worth while painting it whilst it's warm. Borrow the oven for 20 mins ;)

+1

I soaked my sonic in some special stuff I borrowed from work, it changed colour from a nice dull, matt powder coated black to aluminium colour. So sprayed in with black enamel sorted.

I returned the stuff I borrowed by the way it was rubbish.

Had a spare hour tonight and thought I'd give one of the parker hale moderators a really good clean. It was thoroughly full of crud and for some reason, I thought I'd try some hot water and vinegar to shift the worst of it. The result?.. Completely stripped bluing and it's now a total rust magnet. :rolleyes:

IMG_0294.jpg

Wouldn't it have ben better to strip the mod to clean it?

As has been said why not just spray it with a Matt Black Spray Paint? A couple of light coats and it should be protected against the elements and look as good as new!

Wouldn't it have ben better to strip the mod to clean it?

As has been said why not just spray it with a Matt Black Spray Paint? A couple of light coats and it should be protected against the elements and look as good as new!

Ah I did strip it to clean it, I just quickly put it back together before I lost all the bleedin' baffles, washers, springs, woofers, tweeters and whatsits. Top advice about the paint thanks chaps - had considered cold bluing it but for a £30 item, B&Q paint should do the trick. Must remember never to put vinegar on treated metal in future though! :blush:

All good ideas thanks lads - so I think the general consensus is to paint it pink then cover it in camo tape? :D

I think I remember that if you heat steel red hot and quench it in oil, it blues/protects it, but I don't know what getting a mod that hot will do to it structurally. As it's proofed and used on a rimmy, I'll just play it safe with a matt green or tacticool camo paint job.

• 2 weeks later...

If you drop it over I'll run it through my blueing tanks gratis...

Richard, that's a cracking offer thanks mate! I've already painted it puke green though, so it's a bit late for bluing, but thanks again! :good:

There really are some thoroughly decent chaps on pigeon watch!

All the best, Freeman.