Herts, Bucks, Bedf and Essex no birds about at all?

blasterjudd

I will say I know Elby and his land very well If you take time to look back through his posts you will see in previous years he has advertised lots of pigeon shooting (I have had some very very good days) this year you will see he has offered probably one day..... the birds just are not there this year Elby is a top guide and there not there he wont sell it

simples

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do think it was intended, I think "You have a Commercial interest in talking up the bird numbers in your area" shows plenty of intent

Well, think what you like fella, but obviously there's more than one idiot apart from me on this forum and you're still sitting on the fence as to whether or not you're shooting anything at the moment, I'm just keen to find out if anybody is shooting anything on rape, I can only conclude from your very obtuse comments that you're not, if you take offence at that, I would suggest that the problem is more your end than mine..??

Why don't you just come clean and say how things are up your way..??

Cat.

Well, think what you like fella, but obviously there's more than one idiot apart from me on this forum and you're still sitting on the fence as to whether or not you're shooting anything at the moment, I'm just keen to find out if anybody is shooting anything on rape, I can only conclude from your very obtuse comments that you're not, if you take offence at that, I would suggest that the problem is more your end than mine..??

Why don't you just come clean and say how things are up your way..??

Cat.

So again you are accusing me of lying?

Again just for you I'll say it again, this thread is about pigeons being about not about how many are shot.

You're not far from me so come look for yourself.

I've never claimed to be shooting any, just answering the OP's question.

So again for you I'll explain what I do.

I very rarely take clients out on the pigeon at this time of year mainly due to them flocking and my customers not getting value for money.

Corn cut and drilling time is busy for me.

Right now I'm busy with my pheasant shoot, wildfowling, deer stalking, lamping ect.

You could be right about not being the only idiot on here, but don't worry you are certainly the biggest.

Bakerboy has just posted about the gun shop not selling so many carts, I'm surprised you aint asked to see the shops receipts to prove it.

Hi Bakerboy, yes, I've had similar feedback from my local shops, compared to last year, it's a total disaster.. :blush:

Cat.

Prove it.

I don't believe you are allowed in a gunshop, certainly not on your own anyway

Edited by Elby

Well ok........I think we've just about established that you're not shooting much either, but I'd have to say it's been a bit like drawing teeth..?? :oops:

Glad to hear you're busy on other things, I spoke with another well known pigeon guide last week and he's in a similar situation, it obviously pays to have a few different outlets..?

I also respect Beerdeors comments as I know this guy from past clay shoots, I don't doubt your integrity as a pigeon guide and I have never had a pop at anybody on this forum who sells pigeon shooting by the day so I don't understand your earlier comments..? .

I think that I can basically write off this Winter as far as pigeon shooting goes, I hope you have more success up around your way.. :good:

Cat.

I shot 43 today in Ingatestone (Essex). Another permission of mine near Puckeridge (herts) called and said they have started on his rape so I'm off there tomorrow.

I used to shoot deer on a farm near there.

Margaretting, I remember seeing the most pigeons I've ever seen on a rape field there a few years back

Well ok........I think we've just about established that you're not shooting much either, but I'd have to say it's been a bit like drawing teeth..?? :oops:

Glad to hear you're busy on other things, I spoke with another well known pigeon guide last week and he's in a similar situation, it obviously pays to have a few different outlets..?

I also respect Beerdeors comments as I know this guy from past clay shoots, I don't doubt your integrity as a pigeon guide and I have never had a pop at anybody on this forum who sells pigeon shooting by the day so I don't understand your earlier comments..? .

I think that I can basically write off this Winter as far as pigeon shooting goes, I hope you have more success up around your way.. :good:

Cat.

Mong the upshot is no one is shooting pigeons in great numbers I am however curious to know whitch clay shoots you know me from,as Im pretty sure I don't know you from Adam

Edited by beerdeor

I shot 43 today in Ingatestone (Essex). Another permission of mine near Puckeridge (herts) called and said they have started on his rape so I'm off there tomorrow.

I'm in Puckeridge and it's all change again. With Wednesday night being cold, they had started to look at rape on Thursday and were on late-drilled beans and wheat on my Essex perms too. However, by Saturday, it's warm again and they have pretty much disappeared again.

The birds in my garden are cooing and yesterday I caught a pair ********! Where has winter gone????

Did you see any???????

You done all to shoot 43. Still haven't seen anything on the rape yet and between me and my mate we have a lot of land to look around. The very few i have seen anywhere near rape have been around the edge of the field probley on acorns. I definatly think i wont be shooting many until next year (maybe).

There's plenty in the woods on my game shoot in South Northants. The beaters push hundreds out when doing the wood drives, the problem is the guns are blasting away at them and pushing the shot count up! I called into the local game dealer this morning and he's struggling to keep up with demand and is paying 40p a bird now.

Watched the fiels this morning.

About 8am they started to drop in in groups of 5 or 6 till there were an easy 300 on the field.

Went back this afternoon and the field is covered.

The rape is pretty rubbish and just coming through

That field sounds like a lovely peice of ripe fruite that's just begging to be picked lol

Just been and watched a field I plan to shoot with a pw member tomorrow morning and I watched birds flighting in 2s and 3s. Possibly 200-300 flighting around this afternoon :)

Jammy dodgers!!!! Good luck boys

• 4 weeks later...

This morning I drove from Stevenage to Bishops Stortford and back and saw numerous flocks of pigeons.

All 20/30 bird flocks flying from field to field.

I then saw a huge flock 1,000-1500 in total that lifted and dropped when disturbed never going very far.

These were on set aside, no crop in the ground.

Maybe the big day is coming closer. :good:

This morning I drove from Stevenage to Bishops Stortford and back and saw numerous flocks of pigeons.

All 20/30 bird flocks flying from field to field.

I then saw a huge flock 1,000-1500 in total that lifted and dropped when disturbed never going very far.

These were on set aside, no crop in the ground.

Maybe the big day is coming closer. :good:

Well I spent most of the day at Dunmow, on a rape field that is quite popular with the 20/30 flock.. Got 18 in 4+hours, it was really quiet. Where are the 1500 just down the road at BS?? There have been some building up on game cover there but 1500????

I never saw them, and on set aside?? I suggest it was a migrating flock resting up until the headwinds drop??

They were not at Bishops Stortford, :no: but at the back of Stevenage going towards Baldock.

They were on set aside next to a Rape field, and could well have been migrating, hopefully more into Hertfordshire nearer to my permissions :lol::lol:

You would have needed really good eyesight to see pigeons from Dunmow to Bishop Stortford :yes: .

Small flocks of 30-40 around the shorter rape fields.....this really is the first small sign we've seen at our permission in Royston in weeks, this time last year there was plenty to go at but all this rain and milder weather has killed it for December and early Jan, here's hoping for some colder days/nights soon!

Small flocks of 30-40 around the shorter rape fields.....this really is the first small sign we've seen at our permission in Royston in weeks, this time last year there was plenty to go at but all this rain and milder weather has killed it for December and early Jan, here's hoping for some colder days/nights soon!

No, it's all the natural food that has 'killed it'.

No, it's all the natural food that has 'killed it'.

Don't you feel the weather has anything to do with it then? Im interested to hear what people think as I keep getting different excuses! Being so new to the sport the guys that I shoot with keep telling me "its the worst I've seen it in 20 years........) :/

Don't you feel the weather has anything to do with it then? Im interested to hear what people think as I keep getting different excuses! Being so new to the sport the guys that I shoot with keep telling me "its the worst I've seen it in 20 years........) :/

I don't believe it has anything to do with the weather. Last year (2012-2013) there wasn't so much natural food, so the pigeons were seen all through the winter. This year (2013-2014) there has been a huge natural bounty in the woods. It's as simple as that. There may well be some movement from region to region. I am seeing large amounts of pigeons every day now. It won't be too long before the pigeons will be on the rape everywhere.