Herts, Bucks, Bedf and Essex no birds about at all?

blasterjudd

I don't think anyone feels 'inadequate' if they can't shoot 50 pigeons a week.

I'd like to know if the 'Pigeon Controller' on here (and others) would have as much land to shoot if they just shot a few birds 'for the pot?'.

I think they would...as long as they keep the pigeons moving.. and if there not there they wouldn't be shooting more than a few anyway.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed and lets be totally honest more than half of people who shoot wood pigeon do it for sporting reasons, crop protection doesn't enter the equation... I always find it strange when these people feel inadequate if they cant shoot at least 50 pigeons a week.

The last two BTO BBS have actually shown a slight decline in breeding numbers and this as I mentioned before is due to more of the sedentary population perishing in the last few cold winters than we realise.

However No birds equals happy Farmers !

For the pigeon shooter of cause its sport! That's a total no brainer and 100% of shooters will tell you that not 50%

But the work we do is controlling pigeons, it just happens we all find it very exciting and enjoyable to do so and that's we're the sport comes in.

To only shoot a few birds for your own means isn't pigeon control, your not serving your purpose! Or to to the level you are there for anyway. Again if a lad shoot's a big bag then understandably he is very please and excited, also he's done a great job for the farmer! That's why we all applaud great bags on here, it takes great skill to achieve such bags and is very rewarding when it happens. In controlling and protecting that field that shooter had fun, and that is we're the sport lies.

Now leaving birds, only taking what you need and been overly selective In my opinion is wrong! Your not doing the job you told the farmer you would do. So don't mix sport and protection up and they are both one!

To add to that, that's why pigeon shooter get a little frustrated at times when there's no birds to "control" it's because we love to do it...

There's nothing wrong with that I'd say buddy

Nope nothing wrong at all I totally agree...as long as the numbers can support it..which is where I think the original poster was coming from.

Nope nothing wrong at all I totally agree...as long as the numbers can support it..which is where I think the original poster was coming from.

Which obviously there is lol, you will probably no this better than most with your extensive BTO knolage, Just to add! I thought your knolage of the wood pigeon brought great value to the migration post.

If ever there was a threat to the humble pigeon then I would be first to lay my gun down, there a wonderful bird and a joy to watch with our with out a gun but that post for me was a little silly.

(No disrespect meant, I respect his opinion)

Only taking what you personally need is not right though in my personal opinion, this said, what ever you shoot needs to meet an end product! Butchers, restaurants etc how every many you shoot.

He has very good points about balance and enjoying your day but saying leave them and then we will have more to shoot is really going against the grain lol... Now that would most probably be frowned upon.

Anyway,,, rants over!

How are you mate ? Hahaha

I think they would...as long as they keep the pigeons moving.. and if there not there they wouldn't be shooting more than a few anyway.

Keep the pigeons moving where? Onto someone else's fields? With all due respect that's not really going to go down too well with the neighbours is it?

Walked round with the dog this afternoon and there were lots flighting out of roost within shot range as we walked along the edge of the wood (didnt have a gun with me). loads of acorns on ground but all were up at roost that i saw. the other day whilst driving I saw a few that came down on the edge of a field of rape.

Drove up the M11 yesterday from the M25 on my way to Barrow Heath to shoot clays, no pigeons to be seen on any of the rape up that way until I got to the junction of the A11 / A14 near Six Mile Bottom, quite a few birds appeared to be flighting into a rape field there, they were still flighting in on my way back around 1pm.

I took a different route back for part of the journey and also noticed a good number of birds on what appeared to be a late drilling right opposite the McDonalds near Duxford, on the roundabout of the A505 / A1301 near Pampisford. Somebody's missed a trick there, a good day could have been had yesterday, the field was heaving with birds.

There were also a few birds flighting onto rape further down the A505 and near Baldock close to the A1.

I still don't expect to see any birds on the rape in my area until well into the new year, but it looks like others could get some sport..?

Cat.

I walk my dogs in fields behind my house (North Beds, very close to both Northants and Cambs borders).

Haven't had many birds around at all until this weekend - it's like the birds out there! Large flocks of crows both on the ground and overhead.

This is on ploughed but (I think) not planted fields

Pete

Maybe you missed the point here windywebster a question was made asking where have all the birds gone ?

That means hardly any are being shot at the moment as they are not about in large numbers to be shot!

Anyway pigeons are Pests and they are shot for crop protection. They reproduce many offspring a year. They dont get less each year otherwise they would not allow them to be shot and they would come off the vermin list !

We all know they often dissappear each year but do generally return in great numbers.

quote name="windywebster" post="2361992" timestamp="1385924597"]

I am new to the forum.

What I don't understand with forum members is the emphasis on the quantity of pigeons shot, surely it is about a great day out, quality shots and keeping birds off crops not exterminating the whole population of pigeons?

Folk are then wondering where all the pigeons are, taking any species for granted with a belief that it will continue to regenerate no matter what are foolish.

I leave pigeons on the end of my gun, sitting and young birds, taking enough to feed my family and friends.

If everyone took this attitude there would be more about.

All species are under continued threat with reduction in habitat, pigeons no different.

Countryside management is about balance.

Edited by blasterjudd

I'm a farmer and as most of you would know pigeons where in at most uncontrollable last autumn/winter I spent nearly every day trying to control 60 hectares. I myself had some good bags. But spent most of the time chasing the dam things off with the quad bike. Rape plants where small and never grew well last year. In the indrestry fortunes where spent on bangers rockets kites but eventually fields where pulled up and re drilled. This year rape looks very good with the mild weather. We've got a head start thankfully but it's when the rape canopy opens up after three or four weeks of hard frost that's when pigeons will become a menace again and start getting Hungary. With regarding leaving bird for another day I would say NO last year there where flocks of thousands being put up around north Essex at the end of the day there a PEST and once we get in a prolonged cold spell will be back. Fill those freezers boys.

I'm a farmer and as most of you would know pigeons where in at most uncontrollable last autumn/winter I spent nearly every day trying to control 60 hectares. I myself had some good bags. But spent most of the time chasing the dam things off with the quad bike. Rape plants where small and never grew well last year. In the indrestry fortunes where spent on bangers rockets kites but eventually fields where pulled up and re drilled. This year rape looks very good with the mild weather. We've got a head start thankfully but it's when the rape canopy opens up after three or four weeks of hard frost that's when pigeons will become a menace again and start getting Hungary. With regarding leaving bird for another day I would say NO last year there where flocks of thousands being put up around north Essex at the end of the day there a PEST and once we get in a prolonged cold spell will be back. Fill those freezers boys.

Amen!

Yes, those comments pretty much echo a conversation I had with a local farmer friend today.

The "Birdwatchers" on this forum who are happy to pack up after shooting 4 or 5 birds, having gained "enough for a pigeon pie" would not be welcome on the farms that I shoot over, in fact they would soon find themselves without any land at all, as my farmer friends see the Woodie as a serious pest, they are very keen to see serious pigeon shooters doing their utmost to kill as many as possible as many times as they can.. :yes:

Cat.

Yes, a few posters on here have been saying the same, but has anybody actually shot any birds over rape this season..?

Obviously you haven't....so how about anybody else..?

Cat.

You seem to like making assumptions.

How do you know I haven't and why did you feel the need to say that?

Don't worry I'm still not putting clients there if that's your pet hate

Edited by Elby

Well, if you have shot any, then why haven't you said so..?

"They were back on my field today" doesn't mean anything, all I'm trying to find out is if anybody's shooting any at the moment..?

I've been keeping an eye on a field of drilling with a good deal of loose grain on the top, apart from 4 Stock Doves, they've completely ignored it, but there are plenty of birds in the adjoining hedgerows still eating the acorns.

It doesn't look like you're going to be very forthcoming so why bother to add to the thread..?

You have a Commercial interest in talking up the bird numbers in your area, I can only assume that you're not shooting any either..?

Cat.

Read the title of the thread again.

I'm informing people that there are some birds about.

I haven't advertised for anyone to shoot them and won't unless I see them there every day and drifting in constantly.

This isn't your thread, you wasn't the OP, it's not about you or what you want so how about you go do something more constructive than having a pop at me saddo.

Edited by Elby

Keep it pleasant please gentlemen. :yes:

Last week there were a number of fields late drilled with wheat in my area, but the birds have shown no interest in them yet.

A few small groups seen round the edges of the rape, but just as interested in the hedge berries.

I have been mainly corvid shooting, but the few pigeons I have shot have been full of acorns, beechmast and berries.

Keep it pleasant please gentlemen. :yes:

"You have a Commercial interest in talking up the bird numbers in your area"

Sorry Cranfield but this idiot is basically saying I am lying about the birds I'm seeing to get clients.

He needs to be told to wind his neck in and stop making slanderous comments