Driven Hunt on hare

jfgpm

Looks absolutely fantastic would love to try some hunting/shooting abroad one day when money allows.

I was talking to a farmer I do a lot of shooting for last weekend and he was reminiscing on the days he used to get invited to a local estate for a hare shoot and they would get between 250 and 400 hares in a day.

Looks like a teckel to me

Whitebridges, on 21 Nov 2013 - 7:24 PM, said:

Anyone know the breed of the dog,second picture down?

Big Mat is right.

It is a wire-haired dachshund (=badger dog) in German Rauhaardackel or Rauhaarteckel. We use it normaly for hunting badgers and foxes or to drive roe deer.

Cheers, thanks a lot fellas.

I am interested to know why you thought dressing like tigers would make you less visible and why you feel the need to obscure your faces in the pictures?

Not criticizing, just wondering.

As Dunkeild said, its for safety reasons and perhaps their faces are obscured because they should have been at work. :)

Fantastic! I would love to see a shoot over here that has such a healthy population of hares but since making hare coursing illegal the hare population suffers at the hands of poachers who were policed by the people that cared for there perms for there own sport.

Love the camo jackets as well. I think I'll get myself one.

Lee

I was talking to a farmer I do a lot of shooting for last weekend and he was reminiscing on the days he used to get invited to a local estate for a hare shoot and they would get between 250 and 400 hares in a day.

That is an excellent bag for one day. You hardly will find such hunts in Germany. Maybe in Austria.

I am interested to know why you thought dressing like tigers would make you less visible and why you feel the need to obscure your faces in the pictures?

Not criticizing, just wondering.

We have to wear orange colored clothes while hunting because of safety reasons and the "tiger" look seems to work like camo. So the animals doesn't see you so fast. Works in my opinion quite well.

The faces are obscured because they should have been working on that day as cranfield said, no, kidding. I would have to ask everybody on the foto for permission (foto rights) , so it is easier for me just to obscure and upload the pictures.

never done any sort of driven game but i must say it looks fantastic and i bet the atmosphere is grate ..

well done thanks for a interesting post makes a change to see that many hares and the post is still going lol...

Indeed it is a absolutely fantastic atmosphere

Fantastic! I would love to see a shoot over here that has such a healthy population of hares but since making hare coursing illegal the hare population suffers at the hands of poachers who were policed by the people that cared for there perms for there own sport.

Use it or loose it. Shame about the development in your countryside ! Very sad. Is there no other possibility to hunt hares ? Like a driven hunt etc ?

Top shooting Lads i wonder what they be saying if my mate Les had a bag like that :whistling::whistling::whistling:

? Can you explain that, please ?

Looking forward to this febs hare shoot.

should be the usual 250+ bag.great social day and service to the farmer too.

I wish you good hunting ! B)

I've never been on a hare drive but regularly use to have to thin the local hare population, we had a very healthy population. i had 14 just walking up and down the rows in a small sugar beet patch with my sister lab pup flushing them for me.

I don't really like shooting hares but there was plenty to go at and it was nice watching the pup work and try picking up hares the same size as him, lol!

I personally preferred using my .22lr if possible but would opt for my hornet if I ever needed to shoot any again.

Well done though it looks like you had a great day, keep sharing your experiences it's nice to see how other countries do things.

Love the camo jackets as well. I think I'll get myself one.

Lee

they are about we have enough for a good day or two a year and parts of norfolk and lincolnshire seem the same. As ever though its the bits with good keepers who keep the travelling population from doing the damage

they are about we have enough for a good day or two a year and parts of norfolk and lincolnshire seem the same. As ever though its the bits with good keepers who keep the travelling population from doing the damage

we regularly had travellers park up out the way, I found the easiest way to deal with them was to go and offer them rabbits/hare I'd shot. They'd only stay a couple of weeks but never had any trouble, we figured if your giving them stuff they don't need to go looking for it plus they don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth when already getting ample free food.

Mind you these was proper travellers not your scumbag my big fat gypsy wedding type pykies!

Last weekend we had been invited to a driven hunt on hares.

In the morning everybody set his bet how much hares will be shot during the day

16534845qa.jpg

followed by the speach of the tenant

16534846fz.jpg

27 hunters and 22 beaters turned for half a day the hunting ground up side down

16534847dp.jpg

Beside hares we shot some jays and a pair of foxes

16534849ys.jpg

After every drive the son of the tenant took care of the fresh game

16534851cg.jpg

At the end we shot 54 hares, 8 jays and 2 foxes.

16534852je.jpg

At the Schüsseltreiben afterwards the hunting court meets to review the missbehavior of some hunters and to condemn them (what was actually very funny)

Looks like a good day was had, not heard of any hare drives round my way but we do still shoot them just not in the numbers you do. This was a pretty good night for me with 20 odd hares and the same in rabbits. :lol:

P9172923.jpg

Looks like a good day was had, not heard of any hare drives round my way but we do still shoot them just not in the numbers you do. This was a pretty good night for me with 20 odd hares and the same in rabbits. :lol:

Weidmannsheil ! Amazing !

It is interesting how the different hunting culturs vary. Here it would be a sacrileg to just shoot dem by rifle without driving them (if there population ist healthy enough)

we regularly had travellers park up out the way, I found the easiest way to deal with them was to go and offer them rabbits/hare I'd shot. They'd only stay a couple of weeks but never had any trouble, we figured if your giving them stuff they don't need to go looking for it plus they don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth when already getting ample free food.

Mind you these was proper travellers not your scumbag my big fat gypsy wedding type pykies!

Let's say when they were caught on a quad shooting pheasants on the ground with air guns they shot the back window of the farmers freelander out when asked to clear off........ They do it for something to do round here so I'm not convinced giving them anything would work

Let's say when they were caught on a quad shooting pheasants on the ground with air guns they shot the back window of the farmers freelander out when asked to clear off........ They do it for something to do round here so I'm not convinced giving them anything would work

Yep sounds like you've got the other type of the scumbag variety! The town I live in now has a 'travellers camp' provided by the council full of them, up until moving here I had quite positive experiences of them in general but have to agree the majority are scumbags.

Not a great deal you can do in your situation other than be thankful it was just an air rifle and hope the police are interested when you call it in.

Funnily enough that was the third time they got called and the only one with a proper response. It got the helicopter out and they did get him out of his caravan and some airguns and the quad. Allegedly though someone had "borrowed" it so that's about all they could do.