Boiler mixing valve? Hot water turns on heating too

sandspider

Hi all

I've noticed recently that if I run the hot water for any length of time (e.g. have a shower) one or two of the radiators upstairs get hot. I don't think this happened previously, though I have to say I'm not positive - I probably didn't check the rads that often. Could this be a problem with the mixer valve, sending hot water to the rads when it should just be going to the shower or taps? If so, is this a fairly easy / cheap fix? (Boiler is a Glowworm 24CXI) Also, I had the boiler serviced in October, and it got a clean bill of health. (I replaced the tap on the filling loop myself as the valve was jammed) Should the hot water problem have been noticed then? Might the service have changed something, and caused it? Or me replacing the filling loop? (Just undid a few clips, took out the old tap, but in the new one and clipped the loop back on again) Could I ask the plumber to come back and look at it without a callout charge as he might have caused it / should have spotted it last time, or is that unreasonable? (Seems a bit unlikely that it happened just after the service by coincidence...)

One other thing I noticed is that the temperature select knob for the hot water doesn't always work reliably either - I can have it set quite cold and it will produce super hot water, or I can have it set quite hot and it's not necessarily that hot. I'm pretty sure this happened before the above problem, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Any thoughts? Cheers. :good:

Can we have a plumbing/heating section on pw please mods? Lol

Sounds like the divertor valve is getting goosed. If you have a cold boiler then run a hot tap and feel the heating flow at the boiler it should be stone cold. If its warming up when a hot tap is used, the valve isn't diverting properly.

The boiler will turn to heating for a few seconds after you have turned the tap off to dissipate the heat,but the rads shouldn't get hot/warm.

Edited to add, the service engineer probably didn't run enough hot water to notice it, so its just wear and tear on a **** boiler. Sorry.

Edited by Del T

If it is a late 24cxi then it is currently one of the best combi's in the market for the money. So ignore those that knock this boiler. It's basically a vaillant with better casing insulation.

Anyway it's a real easy fix if its the diverter. Pop the pin out , change the diverter over and clip it back in. Reall simple job. (If that's what it is) and I expect it is.

please dont insult the vaillant by comparing it to the cxi ,the only thing these boilers share is a similar heat exchanger ,the diverter valves are different and changing just the head will make no difference what so ever.

the internals of the diverter will need changing which is not an easy job and will need doing by a profesional

the reason the diverter is playing up will be due to iron oxide deposits in the system and nothing you can blame your service engineer for,its either yours or the prevous house owners fault for having a budget boiler and no magnetic filter fitted .

please dont insult the vaillant by comparing it to the cxi ,the only thing these boilers share is a similar heat exchanger ,the diverter valves are different and changing just the head will make no difference what so ever.

the internals of the diverter will need changing which is not an easy job and will need doing by a profesional

the reason the diverter is playing up will be due to iron oxide deposits in the system and nothing you can blame your service engineer for,its either yours or the prevous house owners fault for having a budget boiler and no magnetic filter fitted .

Totally agree with you here there is nothing your service engineer has done to cause this its just a coincidence I would get the full diverted valve changed not just the head

I'm speaking as a qualified heating engineer here not a DIY know it all.