shooting site over seen?

kdubya

I have been asked if I can shoot a field at a local farm, however I can only shoot that field, and looking at it there is only one sensible spot to set up! whilst it is far enough from roads legally, the spot can be over seen as the road is higher than the field, what do you reckon should I go ahead or politely decline

cheers

I have heard of a couple of pigeon shooters having an armed response unit called out because some townie has seen a 'person with a shotgun' and assumed that because all his neighbours are gun wielding gangsta's the bloke in the field must be one too. A road shouldnt be too bad as the cars are going quickly, if it was by a footpath you may have more trouble but 99.9% of the time youl be fine......P.S Sundays is townie tourist day in the countryside.

The only time I would shoot in a field that can be seen is from a vehicle or with the lamp, if it was for pigeons like you I would decline the offer. But thats just my view I go out to chill out and enjoy myself and can't be bothered with getting hassled by shooting by a road like squirell says it only takes one!!! :D

A guy who used to shoot on the same land as me, was seen walking along the side of the road - cammo'd up with a gun. The 'old dear' called the 'fuzz'.

they turned up with the armed responce unit.

He lost his shooting and the rest of us are now unable to use air guns, roost shot and a dozen other don'ts

It's not really worth losing a good shooting reputation over.

The other responses suprise me.

kdubya only asked about shooting on a field, overlooked by a road.

Not shooting from the road, the middle of a housing estate, or the bottom of someones garden.

Most of us shoot fields that are bounded by roads, public footpaths and bridleways.

As long as you obey the law, regarding distance from the "right of way" and use plain commonsense, there shouldn,t be any problems.

The majority of my pigeon shooting (40+ years), has always been in this enviroment.

I have never attracted the attention of the local bobby, let alone an armed response unit.

:lol: Just as Cranfield, i too was surprised at the advice from others on this question.

I have spent the last few minutes thinking of all the dozens of fields that i can shoot over and can count on one hand the ones that haven,t got either a bridal path or footpath running through them or on one side of them. As for roads i have one very good field that has all four sides bordered by them, three sides is not rare and one side with a road is very common.

Three of my best fields are actually bordered and overlooked by the M6 motorway.

As Cranfield says, obey the law and use common sense and you should have no problems.

:D

thanks for the replies, I will be keeping the gun in a slip during "walkingout" and ONLY shooting from a hide, now to keep me right can someone tell me the "actuall" distance from a public right of way (road etc) that a shotgun can be legally discharged, home offic eguidelines take some ploughing through.

thanks. kdubya

If it was me and i had been asked to shoot it i would ,as long as it is practical/safe a number of fields i shoot over have similar "problems"The things i try and do are as follows,try to set yourself up in such a way that you will not be shooting anywere near or have shot falling near the road (remember the wind will blow your shot so bear this in mind),keep the gun in its slip until in the hide,finish off any pricked birds in double quick time,if you stand up from the hide/leave the hide pull your faceveil down (if you wear one) and putyour unloaded gun in its slip and just keep an eye out for people using the road so as not to alarm anyone :D

Guest flightline
thanks for the replies, I will be keeping the gun in a slip during "walkingout" and ONLY shooting from a hide, now to keep me right can someone tell me the "actuall" distance from a public right of way (road etc) that a shotgun can be legally discharged, home offic eguidelines take some ploughing through.

thanks. kdubya

The distance is 50 feet from a HIGHWAY ie one that allows the passage of vehicles-so the regulation does not apply to a footpath. Not sure about bridle path.

thought you might like to see? the official response from basc when the question was asked to them?

two bits of legislation are affected

Ie the firearms act 1968

and the highways act

er this is word for word

the highways act would only apply if you injure, interupt, or endanger a person.

the firearms act only relates to the possesion of a firearm in a public place,

as you would be shooting from authorised land and assuming no shot would land outside that, then neither act would be breached.

seems I am ok and will shoot this field nothing to do with the fact it has a very nice flightline to a wood? by the way

cheers Kdubya