suzuki grand vitara

wildfowler.250

Just wondering what the opinion on here is of these cars? Quite keen to get one. I thought about getting a jimny and taking the backseats out but it would probably be too small.

Just need something for driving to wildfowling in bad weather, pigeon decoying and possibly to use for lamping. Not too serious off roading!

Hopefully looking to get something second hand for a few thousand so any advice would be appreciated!

Just wondering what the opinion on here is of these cars? Quite keen to get one. I thought about getting a jimny and taking the backseats out but it would probably be too small.

Just need something for driving to wildfowling in bad weather, pigeon decoying and possibly to use for lamping. Not too serious off roading!

Hopefully looking to get something second hand for a few thousand so any advice would be appreciated!

My advice would be to just go and have a look and see what is about in your area in your price range I think for the most part if you only need something to go across muddy fields they are all much the same only to things really matter tyres and ground clearance.

Do not be fooled in to thinking if you get a small one it will be cheaper to run than a bigger one as except for the new ones they all seem to drink fuel for me the most important thing is condition low milage and no rust after all most 4x4s never go off road so why get one that has been trashed.

Cheers for the help! What would you consider low mileage? There's a few going about around 2003 make 60,000 miles which don't look too bad,(admittedly only on photograph). I would use it for running into town and back,(25 minute drive in) and so on as well which is why I thought it would be better than the jimny.

Thanks again :good:

Edited by wildfowler.250

I know it's not a Vitara but...

I have a 1995 Rav4. With the rear seats out it's a great size, big enough for a lurcher, German Shepherd and other stuff. Works well off road, in snow and through flood water with Geolander A/T tyres. The negative side, as with almost all 4WD, is that I get 20-25mpg. No visible rust and the only thing it has failed the MOT on over the last few years is front suspension bearing. What I like about the size is that you have very little problem parking it anywhere!

Cheers for the help! What would you consider low mileage? There's a few going about around 2003 make 60,000 miles which don't look too bad,(admittedly only on photograph). I would use it for running into town and back,(25 minute drive in) and so on as well which is why I thought it would be better than the jimny.

Thanks again :good:

I think 60 up to 80.000 should see you ok depending on how many miles per year I would think one like that would be ok for at least two or three years before it needed much doing fuel is the problem soft roaders with electronic four wheel drive should be better on fuel also a diesel would be better on fuel.

I got a 3 door 1600 vitara thinking that it would be cheep to run but it worked out to be no cheeper than my big 4x4 so I went back to a big truck.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

Hi bought a Grand vitara v6 auto with 72000 miles in A1 condition for £1400 on a Y plate. Have played around in mud and steep tracks view is it does what its meant to. Not my main car so mileage is kept to £70 month .

not as good as my old terrano swb off road but still fine when shooting.

Wildfowler..........Stay clear of the petrol models and get yourself a diesel. I`ve had two and for the money you cant beat them.

Very underrated off road and as a 4x4 in general. There`s a lot of badge snobbery as far as 4x4`s go and the Suzuki GV has one of the most reliable diesel engines on the market My 1.9 diesel averages around 37 mpg which for a 4x4 is good going.

I've the 2.0 petrol GV. A bit thirsty but I'm only doing a short stop start commute so it doesn't bother me and if truth be told the diesel motor it replaced was just as thirsty on the same journey. Big difference however is on long runs, if your're doing that I'd advise you to spend the extra on the diesel as the money you save on the petrol model would end up in the tank anyway.