How to know if your shotgun shoots steel shot

pigeon-hunter

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The chokes if multi choke should also state relative constriction for lead and steel example 1/2 lead is generally full steel and the tightest you should use.... Remeber HP steel is different to standard steel BASC has good guide. HP steel carts should be clearly marked on the box and only used in a gun with fluer-de-llys proof marks and appropriate choke.

Got to be honest - whatever my guns are stamped, I would not use steel shot. Not worth the risk in my book.

How do you mean? If steel proofed why would steel be a risk?

I wouldn't fancy it but going duck shooting for the first time in 3 weeks so I have to.

Shoot Bismuth or tungsten matrix......................

http://www.countrywaygunshop.co.uk/steel-tungsten-matrix-and-bismuth-shotgun-cartridges/ Only £1 a bang when you buy a thousand....

Edited by HDAV

Having seen the damage that steel can do, I wouldn't want to take the chance. Manufacturers say their guns are steel proofed, but ten years down the line, will they accept any liability? I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Steel proofed (as in wont explode) and steel proof (as in no wear) are different things altogether, or are you saying you have seen a steel proofed gun fail with a steel load?

That article on steel shot damage highlights two problems, bulging chokes and scoring of barrels.

Bulging chokes can only come from one things, putting too large a shot size through a tight fixed choke. An easily avoidable thing.

The scorning of barrels, thats either from a dodgey batch of factory cartridges which is very unlikely or someone has messed up making home loads, again easily avoidable.

I don't understand peoples adversion to steel shot, if you do things sensibly and don't start trying to put 3" loads of BBBs through a tightley choke old game gun you'll be fine.

Neither of my guns are steel proofed and i use all 3" steel loads through them, from 28gram up to 37 gram, I stick to no more than 1/2 and have no damage to my guns.

Is it just me or are we now not seeing mid barrel scoring so much but just in the choke area. If that is correct, it could be down to the improvement in wad design. Again, if correct, this would infer that the problem of damage relates to just that one area. The cause of the bulge - any bulge not just steel shot induced - is pressure which in this instance is as a result of the load being momentarily 'checked' by the choke. Could this also allow some pellets to be ejected from the wad and thereby cause the scoring in addition to the charge gases which are attempting to overtake the load, failing and consequently causing the bulge? As has been said, reducing the amount of choke but also reducing the cone angle would improve the situation.

It would be helpful if some factual information from existing full time NTS user countries - Scandanavia for example - could be made available.

What I am sure of though is that posts which say I do so and so and have no problems when the "so and so" is against all considered advice is no different to me (truthfully) saying that I've smoked for over 50 years and don't have cancer.

Edited by wymberley

I sought advise from a very experienced and knowledgeable gun smith/shooter before I shot steel through my old gun.

So its not against "all considered advice", I went to the professionals, he said that as long as the choke is relatively open and you use the latest generation of steel cartridges there's no issue, there were issues in the early days caused by first generation cartridges and miss use.

I sought advise from a very experienced and knowledgeable gun smith/shooter before I shot steel through my old gun.

So its not against "all considered advice", I went to the professionals, he said that as long as the choke is relatively open and you use the latest generation of steel cartridges there's no issue, there were issues in the early days caused by first generation cartridges and miss use.

Don't panic, Cornwall, I'm pretty sure that you've posted on those lines before and I wasn't referring to you or any other post on this thread.

• 4 years later...

Hello everyone..seems this is a verry easy thing to deal with.steel shot...never in my life have i hurd so much **** going around.i think in the back of all our minds we realy do have to think about what the greens and government have done to stop you shooting..and cut some shooter back.to nill...the scheming buy others well dont get down.all is easy to do...if you have a realy old gun dont shoot steel..if you have a 70s to 80..s gun half choke.do a little investigation on the web..help others buy not placing silly coments on site like there going to die or having a explosion...it will only loose a shooter.and we need you all.i live in australia and we have had a real number done on us..but i wont be quitting.on shooting.its upto us all..to get it right.steel is in..i dont like it but im not going to stop the love ....i wish we had bismith in ozz...i would go for it...i have seen sales there...wish i could get a case...but can not...

Again, so much absolute rubbish talked about steel. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the stuff! I would use steel through pretty much any modern multichoked gun - even tight chokes and big shot - without fear.

The myth that steel shot ruins guns is exactly that - a myth!

Nothing like resurrecting an old thread!

Anyhow, I have seen pictures of a shotgun barrel allegedly scored by steel shot, but it was a case of the plastic wad failing apparently.

Saying all that, I have absolutely no qualms about putting steel shot through any of my guns, none of which are marked steel shot proofed, and have in the past put HP steel through a 3/4 choked self loader. It was a bit punchy but devastating on bolting bunnies! ?