How to know if your shotgun shoots steel shot

pigeon-hunter

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Gerry78 said:

I put steel through a aya magnum dated 1979 half and quarter chokes no marks or scoring on the inside of the barrels Motty is right to much bullcrap with the myth of steel ruining guns

Same as Gerry :good: And last year i Super Proofed it :hmm:

Having shot a R/L at Pink's i went for quick reload managed one cartridge from my pocket to kill a third :yahoo: My joy turned to shock as I'd shot the third Pink with a 3.5" Remington Nitro Steel 1-9/16oz steel 2's  :sad1: :ninja:

On 27 November 2013 at 20:00, Gordon R said:

Got to be honest - whatever my guns are stamped, I would not use steel shot. Not worth the risk in my book.

I am with you Gordon . No way would I shoot steel through any of my guns .  I have seen the real damage to good guns caused by steel shot . A dear late friend who was a time served gunsmith showed me three guns with massive gouges down the barrels caused by steel shot . His advice to me was don't shoot steel .

harnser

1 hour ago, Harnser said:

I am with you Gordon . No way would I shoot steel through any of my guns .  I have seen the real damage to good guns caused by steel shot . A dear late friend who was a time served gunsmith showed me three guns with massive gouges down the barrels caused by steel shot . His advice to me was don't shoot steel .

harnser

Very odd. As I said before, I don't know of anyone who has suffered with steel shot damage. I think if it was a real problem, I would have seen some by now. I know people who have shot countless thousands of steel rounds.

I really don't understand the hatred/fear of steel.

2 hours ago, Harnser said:

harnser

So what about the Gun's with blown breeches bulged barrels caused by 

What for it :hmm: LEAD :yes:

I'm also with Motty I've shot thousands of Steel cartridges admittedly not to Many BBB in fact i shot 8-9 Geese with a 1oz BBB through 1/2 an 3/4 choke 20ga one morning and still not seen any damages :no:

On 1 December 2017 at 22:24, 6.5x55SE said:

So what about the Gun's with blown breeches bulged barrels caused by 

What for it  LEAD 

I'm also with Motty I've shot thousands of Steel cartridges admittedly not to Many BBB in fact i shot 8-9 Geese with a 1oz BBB through 1/2 an 3/4 choke 20ga one morning and still not seen any damages 

I have seen the damage caused by steel shot to three good guns . He also said that he was seeing damage to forcing cones caused by steel . As he said it only takes one pellet to ruin a gun .

harnser

24 minutes ago, Harnser said:

I have seen the damage caused by steel shot to three good guns . He also said that he was seeing damage to forcing cones caused by steel . As he said it only takes one pellet to ruin a gun .

harnser

One pellet to ruin a gun? Absolute rubbish!

I do not understand how any gun can be damaged by steel shot loads, the shot is in the wad unless you pin hole the wad or do not use a wad steel is never going to be able to contact the bore.

B&P Lbc wads are thin but i have never pin holed one, and never seen any damage. Bulges are from obstruction or some other partial restriction not mearly down to steel shot alone.

There is a lot of prejudice against steel , and often gets used as a scape goat for anything from poor shooting skills to trying for shots which are out of range for gun shot size and load.

Steel is here to stay the sooner people accept it the better.

9 hours ago, motty said:

One pellet to ruin a gun? Absolute rubbish!

Iam sure you have seen lead streaks down your barrels left from pellets touching the side of the barrel . Now imagine the same thing happening with steel pellets that are as hard as the barrels or harder . It's not rocket science .  . The three guns that he showed me had had gouges the length of the barrels and all three guns were ruined .

harnser

3 hours ago, Harnser said:

Iam sure you have seen lead streaks down your barrels left from pellets touching the side of the barrel . Now imagine the same thing happening with steel pellets that are as hard as the barrels or harder . It's not rocket science .  . The three guns that he showed me had had gouges the length of the barrels and all three guns were ruined .

harnser

How when Steel shot used in cartridges is  Softer than the lining/ inside of a shotgun barrel. !!!!!!!! 

20 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

How when Steel shot used in cartridges is  Softer than the lining/ inside of a shotgun barrel. !!!!!!!! 

Not all guns have chrome lined barrels . Some Chinese steel shot is harder than the barrels of guns and is used extensively used in making cartridges .  If you use a good quality made shell then you should be ok .  Using steel is not a risk that I am prepared to take when there are alternatives out there .  Anybody who has used steel extensively should inspect their forcing cones for damage .  Not every gun is going to suffer damage from the use of steel ,but there is a real danger that it could happen ,again I have seen the damage to three good quality guns through using steel shot .  This is my last post on this subject .

harnser

32 minutes ago, Harnser said:

Not all guns have chrome lined barrels . Some Chinese steel shot is harder than the barrels of guns and is used extensively used in making cartridges .  If you use a good quality made shell then you should be ok .  Using steel is not a risk that I am prepared to take when there are alternatives out there .  Anybody who has used steel extensively should inspect their forcing cones for damage .  Not every gun is going to suffer damage from the use of steel ,but there is a real danger that it could happen ,again I have seen the damage to three good quality guns through using steel shot .  This is my last post on this subject .

harnser

And Nickel Plated Lead shot is harder than Steel shot :yes: any way you believe what you want as thats your believe.

Have a good Christmas and happy New Year :good:

5 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

And Nickel Plated Lead shot is harder than Steel shot  any way you believe what you want as thats your believe.

Have a good Christmas and happy New Year :good:

Don't know why anybody would want to use that cheap and nasty steel anyway since it's only good to 30 yards max for duck, even less for geese....only joking, evening Boyd! :lol::good:

52 minutes ago, Harnser said:

harnser

It may be your last post but I believe its a load of cobblers.

1 hour ago, motty said:

It may be your last post but I believe its a load of cobblers.

My dear Motty . We may have a difference of opinion on this matter but there is no need to be so rude . Your post is against the spirit of this forum . You have all but called me a liar ,I only want to share with other members of the forum the possibility of damage to guns using steel shot .

harnser

12 hours ago, Harnser said:

Any body who doubt what I have said in this thread please google . Steel shot damage to shot gun barrels . A real eye opener . Then maybe an oppologie may come my way . This is my last say on this matter .

harnser

I could Google anything and find stuff to suit my point of view. I bet I could find plenty of stuff related to guns damaged using lead.

I am totally unclear as to why Harnser is getting such stick. Steel shot relies on a totally enclosed plastic wad. If that wad fails, damage will follow. That isn't rocket science either. For anyone who has never seen a badly loaded wad, I think you need to look harder. Rare, but not unknown.

Harnser raised that possibility. How can posters be sure that a barrel has never been damaged by steel, with such certainty? In short, they can't. Try telling someone, who has had a gun with such damage, that they are talking rubbish.

Each to his own. Those who want to risk it - feel free, but respect those who don't want to take the chance - albeit perhaps a small one.

3 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I am totally unclear as to why Harnser is getting such stick. Steel shot relies on a totally enclosed plastic wad. If that wad fails, damage will follow. That isn't rocket science either. For anyone who has never seen a badly loaded wad, I think you need to look harder. Rare, but not unknown.

Harnser raised that possibility. How can posters be sure that a barrel has never been damaged by steel, with such certainty? In short, they can't. Try telling someone, who has had a gun with such damage, that they are talking rubbish.

Each to his own. Those who want to risk it - feel free, but respect those who don't want to take the chance - albeit perhaps a small one.

I don't think Harnser is getting stick as such. Perhaps if he was a wildfowler, his views may differ. I speak to hundreds of fellow 'fowlers who must have used 10s of thousands of steel cartridges between them. I would imagine that any damage that one would have encountered would have become common knowledge.

The risk to guns is negligible.

54 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Quite.

Steel shot or to be perfectly corect about it soft iron, is between 97 and 115 Vickers  IND cast steel shot this is Harnsers hard Chinese is 100 to 122 Vickers.

BSA barrels from the 1930s could be earlier used Jessops fluid steel barrels these were typical back in the day industry spec barrel materials from the last century as used in arms manufacture . these are steels that   have an hardnesses between 200 and 650 Vickers or 210 to 550 Brinell. hard chrome barrels will be harder than this .

I know they are as hard as 5210 but do not have the figures for that..

Edited by Fen tiger

3 hours ago, motty said:

I don't think Harnser is getting stick as such. Perhaps if he was a wildfowler, his views may differ. I speak to hundreds of fellow 'fowlers who must have used 10s of thousands of steel cartridges between them. I would imagine that any damage that one would have encountered would have become common knowledge.

The risk to guns is negligible.

Motty ,I was wild fowling around your neck of the woods and round my neck of the woods before you were born .  

Harnser