58 grain vmax 243

I like 55 grn Noslers at the light end with H4895, as do many but 58s should do good enough if you have them with same. Don't get fancy with jump lengths you will always be a country mile from the rifling anyway even if the bullet is falling out the case (about a calibre deep into the case required)

I like 55 grn Noslers at the light end with H4895, as do many but 58s should do good enough if you have them with same. Don't get fancy with jump lengths you will always be a country mile from the rifling anyway even if the bullet is falling out the case (about a calibre deep into the case required)

cheers kent iv been working up some loads using viht n140 43 grains seems to be the 1 bur gunna try some other powders plus differrent weight bullets cheers ady.

cheers kent iv been working up some loads using viht n140 43 grains seems to be the 1 bur gunna try some other powders plus differrent weight bullets cheers ady.

Test some 70-75 grn bullets. Used to use 75 v-max but supply became unpredictable, so went 70 grn Nosler (which are very good). The only real issue with the 55's is they are a bit too quick and that costs in terms of barrel life

Test some 70-75 grn bullets. Used to use 75 v-max but supply became unpredictable, so went 70 grn Nosler (which are very good). The only real issue with the 55's is they are a bit too quick and that costs in terms of barrel life

cheers pal wat powder are u using and wat groups u getting at 100 yard cheers ady.

cheers pal wat powder are u using and wat groups u getting at 100 yard cheers ady.

I don't measure 100 yds groups with a .243 win, in my opinion if I was expecting 100yds I shouldn't bother with so much gun, just about any ammo will have the accuracy to nail every fox at 100 yds. I expect a minimum std of 1/2 moa at 200 yds but if the wind is kind I prefer to test such a gun at 350- 380 yds as this is far enough for anyone foxing and I just happen to have a great backstop and backdrop at that range.

Of recent times I have preferred Varget for mid range weight bullets, H4895 for lighter ones and Vhit N160 for heavy stuff. When my Varget is all used up I will look for alternatives in the .243 win mid range bullets.

I don't measure 100 yds groups with a .243 win, in my opinion if I was expecting 100yds I shouldn't bother with so much gun, just about any ammo will have the accuracy to nail every fox at 100 yds. I expect a minimum std of 1/2 moa at 200 yds but if the wind is kind I prefer to test such a gun at 350- 380 yds as this is far enough for anyone foxing and I just happen to have a great backstop and backdrop at that range.

Of recent times I have preferred Varget for mid range weight bullets, H4895 for lighter ones and Vhit N160 for heavy stuff. When my Varget is all used up I will look for alternatives in the .243 win mid range bullets.

thanks for the reply kent. Iv got some good land to try thwm ranges so will have a range day cheers ady

my lad is in the Forces and they shoot a .223 and practice at 25 yards....... no longer that's it!

not sure why, no doubt not allowed to engage a target past that due to QHSE and ethical compliance..... and of course not before during or after a religious festival, prayers fasting or feasting or sandal wearing.........

Don't start me orf!

my lad is in the Forces and they shoot a .223 and practice at 25 yards....... no longer that's it!

not sure why, no doubt not allowed to engage a target past that due to QHSE and ethical compliance..... and of course not before during or after a religious festival, prayers fasting or feasting or sandal wearing.........

Don't start me orf!

Didn't used to be like that 25yds only? When did this rubbish start? Or is it just one set of guys? My mate was a trainer and he always harps on about how easy it was for the lads to get their head around trajectory BUT you practically had to force them to allow anything for wind drift.

• 5 years later...
On 28/11/2013 at 03:44, pavman said:

I use factory Hornady 58 grain VMax in my .243 Tika varmint heavy barrel (stainless) (pity much same Rifle) saves me re loading well worth a try before you go the home load route, its a great Fox round

I also use that in my tikka 3 varmint 243 an thosr 58grain vmax at 3925 shoot into one hole all day at 100yards, will kill anything I shoot at, coyotes don't stand a chance .. Also the hornady factory 75grain custom (Not a vmax) are also one hole shooters out of my tikka , and must be a pretty hard bullet cuz they hardly cause damage just go right though .