How did we all do today

MC

Met up with Gully for a 100 bird sporting today.

Got of to a flyer carding 45ex50 to start with, a small break and some food and it all went to pot :angry: One stand of 5 pairs was actually very dangerous and one shooter fell over trying to shoot them, so I am basically not counting those. With that out of the equation I finished on 79ex90 (or 82ex100) with the stupid dangerous stand included.

You shot really well Pin, I felt confident after the first 50 but blew it on the second to come home with 36/100, including the dodgy stand.

Managed 44/100 with Catamong today though so there is light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks for all the advice Cat, its beginning to sink in I think and I'm getting the hang of what lead to give certain birds (but a lot more practice needed on others)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pah, excuses :blink: I drank a bottle of rum last night (ask anyone in the PW arms last night I was paggered), up at 5.30am for a 6.45 start with the ferrets, packed up with 11 in the bag with 2 digs, then onto the clays and still won :blush:

GL at dartford tomorrow, the practice might save you a few quid :blink:

Did two rounds of 50 ESP up at the local airbase, quite surreal to have to get your picture taken whilst bloke in Camo DPM's (Not even Realtree :blink: ) Stood with SA80 about 3 foot from me :P:P

First round 30 ex 50 and second round 34 ex 50 doing the second bird first then the first.

MC was supposed to come along, but he broke down or some such excuse (Keeps happening since I beat him at the garrison :blink: :good:

GL at The Bell Tomorrow MC, I'll think of you whilst I'm up at 6am for a crack at the Pigeons. If you come over after, I have some nice Vension Chilli Sausages for you.

SS :blush:

shot Horne today with Dunganick and another non PW mate

Nick shot an excellent 75ex100 on his first 100 birder proper

better watch this lad as with a bit of practice he'll be a force to be reckoned with

nice to see the better half mate, don't blame you not wanting to get out of your pit too often these days :):lol:

myself i carded yet another 86 which was top in B as we left and my mate Frank was top in C with 79

will have to wait and see if that was any good for a brownie :P???

I took high gun today with 48/50. It was at a local shoot and the 2 that I missed were dinner plates that hovered overhead.

I got sod all as I was a guest. The highest member shot 47/50

That will teach me to get too complacent.

Thanks to Mungler for showing me the ways of the "FORCE" :):lol:

Went to a local club shoot for 50 ESP. Managed to score 27/50 after 2/10 then 3/10 on the first two stands which were impossible. The last stand was interesting, supposed to be a driven bird but the battery on the trap was failing and basically it came straight at you at head level. If you missed it it went through the middle of your stand while the on report bird was climbing away but if you hit it you showered everyone with bits of clay. My first bird was shot about 6 feet from the end of the barrels. Bit dangerous really. Also got my first ever 10/10 on a stand. High gun was 33/50 so I feel damn good tonight.

I nipped up to Barrow Heath, between Newmarket & Bury St Edmunds, for their monthly 100 Reg Sporting.

I shot a fairly mediocre 89 in cold & windy conditions, just let the odd on slip away on most stands, anybody on real form could have carded a 95 / 96.

Loads of pigeons flighting around the area, but, as usual, nobody shooting them, roll on next weekend..!!

Cat.

Yeah, loads of pigeons over me today too. What's the etiquette on this? I guess if a fox wandered out the guns would be blazing but pigeons?

I went to Broomills on Friday after work, got caught in traffic so didn't get there till 4pm. The place was very quiet and I went down to the fur & feather trap. There were 4 x hen pheasents sitting in the middle of it. Even while I was shooting another wandered across it. I was so tempted but held back. Should I have?

Absolutely you should hold back, most clay grounds have rules about shooting wildlife. And even if they don't you do not have the landowners permission to shoot them so technically you would be poaching.

Well done for your restraint

Yeah, loads of pigeons over me today too. What's the etiquette on this? I guess if a fox wandered out the guns would be blazing but pigeons?

I went to Broomills on Friday after work, got caught in traffic so didn't get there till 4pm. The place was very quiet and I went down to the fur & feather trap. There were 4 x hen pheasents sitting in the middle of it. Even while I was shooting another wandered across it. I was so tempted but held back. Should I have?

Gully,

Don't even think about shooting any live quarry at a clay ground in the UK.

They do it in the US, and everybody has a good laugh, but it's a real no-no over here..!!

(Glad to hear you're getting more practice in..!!)

Cat.

On the rabbit stand at broomhills last summer I watched a doe and some kits happily munching some grass off to the right of the stand about 10 feet short of where the first rabbit comes past. Left it well alone obviously but it goes to show they will get used to noise, even gunfire! I had a few more pairs of going away and they were still there..

On the rabbit stand at broomhills last summer I watched a doe and some kits happily munching some grass off to the right of the stand about 10 feet short of where the first rabbit comes past. Left it well alone obviously but it goes to show they will get used to noise, even gunfire! I had a few more pairs of going away and they were still there..

It wasn't that pin, it's coz they've seen you shoot and knew they weren't in any danger :lol::P

SS :)

I went to Westfields in Gloucestershire yesterday with 3 friends. It was bitterly cold. It was only after we set off that we realised none of us actually knew how to get there so after a few hurried phone calls we got directions and arrived, according to the Kiwi in our group, it’s the girl’s job to get the directions, harrumph!!!!

Started on the pool shoot with a respectable 8 out of 12 and then we hit the layout. I started ok went down hill in the middle in a big way and then had to work hard at the end, the 3 others in my group thought it was a **** shoot but I just thought it was a bloody hard shoot. IMO there was only 1 easy stand out of 12 but even that had a twist. It was a green “going away†towards a green background. Quite hard to pick up. There was also a stand with a pink going away teamed with an orange rabbit with the sun in front of you, maybe that could have been thought out a bit better. Also an orange battue going like the clappers and a stand with a high green over head. No white clays thankfully. All in all a very colourful shoot and despite the cold I enjoyed it, finished on 70, obviously it could have been better but then couldn’t it always when your sat at home with a big glass of wine thinking of those clays that got away. I think 91 won it.

Wasn't allowed out to play today :good: Might try and get out next weekend, but it's gonna be hard. Missus seems to want me to spend time with her and the kids now that the seasons ended.

MC please phone and make up something along the lines of its vitaliy important that he comes over and picks weeds from my lawn or something :stupid::stupid:

SS :stupid:

Went to my local club today as a couple of us took up side by side's just for a bit of a fun shoot. I ended up with a 38/50. It wasn't an easy shoot but I did make some daft mistakes, but hey, we had a real good laugh with a bit of banter (read taking the micky out of each other) and for me that is all that matters :stupid:

Next time we're going with pump actions for a bit more fun :stupid: