Lamping

mahmood

You'll get a load of rabbits the first 2 or 3 outings, then it will decline sharply as rabbits will soon learn bang means run. Just using your 4 by 4 and head lamps one person can drive and the other can shoot out of the passenger window, you do not need a lamp as such if you do it this way.

You may want to consider getting a rimfire if you're going to get into this in a serious way - its cheaper and more effective :D

I quite often shoot rabbits and foxes from the back of a landy with another gun and a lamper and we have shot a few big bags of 120+. We use 12g with 30g of sixes. The only peice of advice i can think of is to know were your shooting by this i mean remember were houses, roads and other places were damaged could be coursed are because the last thing you want is to be smashing someones window.

The thing to be careful of is people calling the police as a busy night (say 100 rabbits) can sound like world war three to people living close :D by,we only lamp with a shotgun where we are well out of the way or were we know all the people living close by will be ok with it (a rimfire is alot better tool for the job

Tiercel,

I can't figure out the right hand problem (which doesn't mean a lot)

I take it you're refering to a left hand drive vehicle!!!

I drive and my son shoots from the passenger side. the last time I looked he was right handed.

He managed the first 25 rabbits without missing. (because he was getting 60 pence each towards his new shotgun)

I think TC is saying that if you are lamping (in the dark) just using the headlights, you will be shooting more forwards than sideways and would be quite difficult for a right hander from the passenger seat. :D

Mahmood, I'd use a silenced rimmy or air rifle, less noise pollution at night, cheaper and more affective in the long term. :lol:

As a point of safety for those who shoot from the back of a pickup or landy. Remember the bottom barrel fires first.

About two years ago whilst out controlling rabbits from a pickup. A lad new to shooting had an accident. On this occasion, we had two shotguns working. One shooting right, the other shooting left. Lamper in the middle.

The gun on the left had fired his two cartridges and was reloading. A lone rabbit was cut off from its burrow and sat approximately 15 yards from the vehicle. The vehicle was on a slope. The lad aimed at the rabbit as you would a rifle and pulled the trigger.

There was a thud as the shot went into the roof of the cab. The shot opened the roof up like a tin opener. Where the shot entered the roof sat the keeper’s wife with a nine day old baby. When they heard the thud they thought one of us on the back had been shot. Likewise we thought the keeper’s wife had been shot.

As it turns out the shot never made it through the felt roof in the cab. The shot literally was about 4 inches above her head. If the vehicle had been on more of a slope then she may not have been so lucky.

It cost £500 to fix the roof.

We all got a fright that night, but an important lesson was learnt.

Hope no one has an accident like ours. :D :*)

Hi Guys,

I lamped rabbits for the first time last night using a 12 bore and a 1,000,000 candle power hand held lamp. I was under the impression that when rabbits were lamped they sat still, this certainley wasn't the case that I experienced. They all bolted when caught in the beam. Can you also advise me on the following point, do you keep the lamp on all the time or do you leave it for a short time and then switch on and scan an area then switch off again if you don't see any rabbits.

Naive or what...

Thanks

when me and my m8s go lamping we have one driving one on the back with a lamp and one with a gun . when a ribbit is spotted the one with the lamp can follow it and the other shoots . Another effecitve way i have just descovered with my rifel is to have a lamp clipped on top of the scope . it is very effective espically as mine is a .22 semi auto.

Myself and my shooting partners walk with a lamps clipped on top of the scopes. Gives you a bit of excersise as well as a good bag some nights. When out in the landy we have modified it with a sun roof at the back so the shooter stands rifle ready and the driver uses lamp that is fitted on a swivel through the roof. If all 3 of us are out in the landy then only one gun is shooting it's safe and everyone knows what everyone else is doing.

The reason that the rabbits are running from the lamp is that they know whats comming next. Not because the lamp is too bright. It could be a lurcher or a shot either way they know, they are what is termed lamp shy. Im afraid you have to work around that problem one way is to go out only on very windy nights and approach them from down wind if a rabbit starts to run try flicking the lamp on an off it,it sometimes makes them pause for a few seconds just enough to get a shot in.

• 2 weeks later...