Designer Crosses

Elby

Are you some kind of an idiot.

I'm not "lambasting" anyone.

I'm just saying (for the 20th time) that the trend towards designer crosses makes it easier and more profitable for puppy farms ***.

Again having owned a few and bred a litter of Springadors I can only say again for the inanely stupid.

I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST CROSS BREEDS

To debunk "hybrid vigor" the strongest genes do not rise to the top each time, it comes down to a little planning and a lot of luck. What it does do is prevent line breeding turning into inbreeding and its inherent genetic weaknesses.

I did breed lurchers years back and even repeat mating's of the same dog and bitch produced different results in the way of pups.

There is little really wrong with accidental mating's producing sprokers etc. However when someone sets out to breed any thing like this they escape the net as far as repeatedly mating the same bitch and the Kennel club are rightly concerned about this for the health and wellbeing of the bitches. Not that they are any paragon of good sense mind you allowing no real true out of breed outcrossing even when true bad blood becomes rife in a particular breed.

Are you some kind of an idiot.

I'm not "lambasting" anyone.

I'm just saying (for the 20th time) that the trend towards designer crosses makes it easier and more profitable for puppy farms ***.

Again having owned a few and bred a litter of Springadors I can only say again for the inanely stupid.

I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST CROSS BREEDS

Seems to me some of the idiots come from Milton Keynes

Is it not true that while hybrid vigor does mean most 1st crosses are more healthy, often the 2nd gen crosses are far less healthy than a first gen cross or a 'pure bred dog'

Really don't get the whole buying a cross/mongrel thing, while i have seen plenty of good working 'heinz' dogs over the years u really don't know wot sides are going to come out on top, some pups may have the best parts of each breed while others could have the worst and most a mix. Even the poodleX's aren't all non shedding.

I also have no problem paying for a proper bred dog from a decent working line, and i think decent breeding does make a world off difference esp with some breeds

Probably not a great idea to bred from a cross, think in the old days (before bull beef became popular) it was illegal to own a cross bred bull which still had its balls entact and working, for that reason, far too many unkowns going into the mix esp if cow is a cross too

i have a sprocker and what annoy me is some insurance companies are now classing them as designer dogs an charging more for em!! how has this crazy situation come about i don't understand the whole labrdoodle cocker poo thing its silly but at least a sprocker makes a decent dog and people were breeding sprockers as their called years before the soddin labradoodle

i have a sprocker and what annoy me is some insurance companies are now classing them as designer dogs an charging more for em!! how has this crazy situation come about i don't understand the whole labrdoodle cocker poo thing its silly but at least a sprocker makes a decent dog and people were breeding sprockers as their called years before the soddin labradoodle

Truth be told there is a lot of one in the other anyhow

i bought my sprocker for sensible money as he was a result of an unplanned mating between two good working dogs and i am very happy with him granted i didnt know what size he would be and i am not that worried about a bit of paper telling me who his great granny is but i am very happy with the dog i have ended up with and i am sure if his training continues to progress as well as it is i will end up with a very good shooting companion for walked up rough shooting, why anyone would pay designer dog prices for any dog KC reg or not is crazy

Springers & cockers were the same breed not too long ago.

The small pups were picked out and kept back for use on Woodcock (hence Cockers)

The bigger pups were used to spring larger birds (hence Springers)

yup they were, i like my sprocker he is cocker sized but springer muscley :D he is responding very well to training too he is a bit will full and head strong but kinda match's his owner ;)

DSC_0133.jpg

Crossing breeds of the same discipline makes some kind of sense, spaniels, retrievers, pointers & setters and HPRs. Not my cup of tea but each to their own.

What makes me cringe is people who cross dogs of different disciplines, like the lad who crossed a Viszla with a Lab because he wanted a dog to point grouse and then sit out on the marsh. No mate, you need two ******* dogs!

My mate recently bought a pure bred cocker from the best working lines in my area for £350 and its shaping up pretty nicly for 13 weeks. While ive seen pug shi zou crosses going for £800 you coulda bought two good cockers for that imo i think this designer breeding is a laugh unless you cross dogs for.a.practical situation.

Crossing breeds of the same discipline makes some kind of sense, spaniels, retrievers, pointers & setters and HPRs. Not my cup of tea but each to their own.

What makes me cringe is people who cross dogs of different disciplines, like the lad who crossed a Viszla with a Lab because he wanted a dog to point grouse and then sit out on the marsh. No mate, you need two ******* dogs!

yeah totally agree i have no problem with a spaniel crossed with a spaniel is fair enough but as you say crossing two totally different breed to try and get some thing dual purpose is silly just have two dogs i know i am split between an ESS or a Lab as my second dog i am kinda leaning towards the ESS :)

Bang on right and make sure its were you want / need it to be with its training ie finished just needing more work experience.

yeah thats exactly where i want him to be just about finished and needing polishing and getting working experience ready for the start of next season being shot over on a walked up rough shoot :D i must admit its taking some strong will not to crease an buy a second dog ;)

but if he aint quite ready i am not gonna lose any sleep he is ready when he is ready and not a minute too soon :)