Wasps Nest

Ballymac

Hi Guys, MIL has been stung by wasp in middle of night, so I was asked to find the nest. Its in her loft of her bungalow and they are getting in under the guttering. I rang local council and was told that they do not deal with this type of pest. Passed on to environmental services and they told me to go to yellow pages. Rentokill have gave me a price through their on line service, and have tried a number of local companies with no success.

Anyhow just thought I would ask for your experience on this. MIL is old aged pensioner. a long time now and the money that the companies are asking is what it is. But I was thinking that as an old aged pensioner living alone etc should there not be a better service available from the council. Its a bill she could do without, aren't they all, what's your thoughts on the council side of this. I am not getting at the price being charged by companies for their service.

It has been mild but that is still very late for a wasp nest. My suspicions are it is simply a few fertilised females looking for somewhere to over winter.

Councils have different Pest Policies, in many cases help is available in some circumstances, in other areas the Council will help but charge you, then in others they do nothing!

It would be wonderful if the Council could deal with all the wasps nests, birds/squirrels/rats etc in roof spaces, ants in the kitchen, foxes in the back garden, mice in the garage, etc., etc., but we fund this...The Council has to draw the line somewhere!

...and if they did all that I wouldn't have a job! :good:

Edited by Dekers

I made my way up a bank on our shoot on Saturday to retrieve a bird that had dropped down a hole, as I was getting close to the hole when wasps started bouncing off my hat, so I left the bird and ran :lol:

So still Jasper's about, best take a peak in the attic with a can of raid at hand

I thought if you were in receipt of benefits or a state pension, the local authorities did it FOC.

Depends on the Local Authority. Their money only goes so far and they need to prioritise it!

Trust me it will only be getting worse, the levels of grant reductions being predicted are unprecedented however you won't hear many Tories shouting about them in advance of elections!

The only way local authorities can maintain essential services (let alone discretionary ones) will be to either increase council tax locally (unlikely and capped) or reduce discretionary services. I expect more authorities will follow where others have gone and remove these types of services or charge directly for them. There will also be an increase in the closure of facilities such as libraries, youth clubs etc.

All down to?

Well you decide!

Austerity measures to pay off the National debt etc or;

A social experiment in DIY or don't have it!

I am not normally in a position to take pics of Wasps nests when I'm working on them but this turned up a while back, a very small nest that failed to mature, a decent sized mature nest and right below it on the same site a pretty decent size active nest.

These get the lance from the entrance and seldom any more, it is rare these get treated from the loft space itself, that would involve direct encroachment and disturbance of the nest. Strange as it may seem this tends to upset them, they fly around looking for someone to attack (defending the nest) and an exit, this is commonly the hatch opening or ceiling light fittings. This causes me and in turn the owners grief.

Best to simply dust the access from outside with Ficam D and its all over, usually within a couple of hours, up to 24-36hours to be certain. :good:

post-20848-0-98051100-1386106636_thumb.jpg post-20848-0-53285800-1386106648_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dekers

I've got one in the loft, no idea if it's active or not but I'd like to get rid. If I wait until the dead of winter when most of them have died off will it be ok to remove then or will there still be females in it (albeit groggy with cold)?

Impossible to be sure, but very likely it will be empty, the whole nest will die at maturity. The final act is to produce fertile males/females who do what they do, everything then dies except for the fertilised females who leave the nest and search for somewhere to over winter. If they are successful and make it to the Spring they emerge and look for somewhere suitable to make a nest, many still fail but a limited number are successful and become Queen of their own nest, and so the cycle continues.

Thanks for replies guys. I was away from computer so didnt get back. What I have been told by pest controller, which ties in with Dekers, is it is only a small number of females left in nest. They are probably nesting in the cavity as we cannot find the nest anywhere, although there is very limited access in the area that we think the nest is located. Will get some of those sprays or ant powder and see what we can do.

The only council that do deal with wasps apparently is the Belfast City council. So everyone outside of that area has to pay private companies (applies to N.Ireland only :lol: )

Our council do it, but then charge you

:shaun:

same as our council, even though daughter works for them it cost me 50 quid,must say day after they killed the wasps I moved the nest to the bottom of the garden to feed the fish in the canal,the way they make the nest was a sight very clever