3 Valleys pheasant shooting/missing

b325

Its a fair comment JDog.

In defence I would say on the first drive the beaters had not even reached the game crop when the pheasants decided to decamp on mass.

On the subject of out of range pheasants, yes there were some on the second drive (the glog) there always will be some on a very high pheasant drive.But it is up to the guns to choose the pheasants they think are in range. (not always going for the highest,like most normal shoots.)You will get pricked birds on every shoot, all you can do is insure they are dealt with as swiftly as possible which they are at this shoot.

The dog that was whinning belonged to one of the guns , a terrier. what it was doing there i dont know.It does annoy when watching the video but i didnt notice it when i was there.

As for the shouting and whooping when one of the guns they managed a shot to remember for the rest of their lives.They got excited thats all i can say.

agree on the outlined comments :good:

Its difficult to ***** the range of these birds on film, perhaps the thread starter could advise.

Certainly they looked beyond the ability of most of the guns but it is difficult for the camera to pick out a bird that is being shot at when there are so many in the air at once. It did look like quite a few birds were pricked.

A heavy load of big shot fired through a suitable gun is needed for these high birds, 5s or 4s usually.

I would estimate the cost to stand in that line would be well over 1k per day. 300 birds @ 35 + VAT = £ 12600, 10 guns = £1260 per gun + tips = £1300 plus.

High cost yes, high quality birds though, far better a few of them than being pegged 25 yards apart on a 'killing' drive on some commercial shoots.

A

Edited by Alycidon

Its difficult to ***** the range of these birds on film, perhaps the thread starter could advise.

Certainly they looked beyond the ability of most of the guns but it is difficult for the camera to pick out a bird that is being shot at when there are so many in the air at once. It did look like quite a few birds were pricked.

A heavy load of big shot fired through a suitable gun is needed for these high birds, 5s or 4s usually.

I would estimate the cost to stand in that line would be well over 1k per day. 300 birds @ 35 + VAT = £ 12600, 10 guns = £1260 per gun + tips = £1300 plus.

High cost yes, high quality birds though, far better a few of them than being pegged 25 yards apart on a 'killing' drive on some commercial shoots.

A

On the first drive i would estimate most of the pheasants were about 40 to 70 yards.

The second drive most were at 60 yards some were higher .A few over 100 yards.It was a very still day and that is recipe for very high pheasants on this drive.If there is some wind they tend to fly a bit lower.

The last drive i filmed there were at varying heights ranging from 30 to 60 yards i would estimate.

I think the pheasants slide around a lot at that height, very difficult to keep on the right line.Which means its hard to keep the center of the pattern on the pheasant.

There were two more drives i didn't film and they were more shootable at around 40 yards for the majority of the pheasants.

The equipment we used were miroku mk38 32 inch, full choke both barrels. Cartridges 35gram 4s (rc orio fibre wad 3.1 mm pellet)

Great video, who cares if you miss on drives like that, at least you don't have to wait long for another chance.

A lot of those pricked birds would of dropped dead a long way behind the line, where I'd imagine on a high bird shoot like that the 2nd line of pickers up would be.

Now where's my Santa wish list.....

I've never seen anything on that scale. Don't think I'd know which one to shoot. Looks like one hell of an experience, bet it costs a few quid though. Saying that if I could afford it I'd be there. Thanks for sharing

I've had a word with Amy, If Nicky does the same, we are on for a fantastic Christmas present. :yahoo: Do you think hey would be annoyed if we turn up and only shoot 5 each (£41+vat X 5 is 10 times as much I've spent on her present :lol:)

On the first drive i would estimate most of the pheasants were about 40 to 70 yards.

The second drive most were at 60 yards some were higher .A few over 100 yards.It was a very still day and that is recipe for very high pheasants on this drive.If there is some wind they tend to fly a bit lower.

The last drive i filmed there were at varying heights ranging from 30 to 60 yards i would estimate.

I think the pheasants slide around a lot at that height, very difficult to keep on the right line.Which means its hard to keep the center of the pattern on the pheasant.

There were two more drives i didn't film and they were more shootable at around 40 yards for the majority of the pheasants.

The equipment we used were miroku mk38 32 inch, full choke both barrels. Cartridges 35gram 4s (rc orio fibre wad 3.1 mm pellet)

Bet you're glad you posted this on PW :lol:

Looks like a fun shoot, not up my street but glad you chaps had a good time :good:

have to agree with jdog, way too many birds being flushed at once, even the guns on the first drive were unsure what the hell to shoot,

on the beating I go to our aim is to flush them out at a steady rate not get hundreds up all at once, no wonder the shot ratio was poor if the birds had been flushed how they should be then it would not have looked and been a free for all rampage,

nice video though even if the shooting and more importantly the beating was of poor quality

atb Evo

Stunning days shooting there, I have been very lucky to of shoot there a number of times with Mr Jones. These are bar non some of the best birds you will see being driven to guns. The whole place is a dream to shoot and to start you off on the Point now that is a going to get anyone's blood running.

Well done on hitting what you did people don't understand just what them birds are doing and what speed. I shoot there November we shoot 3 Vallys and then onto here we go!! Lelechweddygarth shoot ( think that's right) We had a 480 BD At 3V and a 438 LWG forget the shoots lol.... Loved watching your video mate well done hats off.

P.S you are always going to get a laptop pro tell you how wrong a day like that is and how it should be done... I am sure Mr Jones will take note from.

All the best

SGS

Stunning days shooting there, I have been very lucky to of shoot there a number of times with Mr Jones. These are bar non some of the best birds you will see being driven to guns. The whole place is a dream to shoot and to start you off on the Point now that is a going to get anyone's blood running.

Well done on hitting what you did people don't understand just what them birds are doing and what speed. I shoot there November we shoot 3 Vallys and then onto here we go!! Lelechweddygarth shoot ( think that's right) We had a 480 BD At 3V and a 438 LWG forget the shoots lol.... Loved watching your video mate well done hats off.

P.S you are always going to get a laptop pro tell you how wrong a day like that is and how it should be done... I am sure Mr Jones will take note from.

All the best

SGS

Thanks i am a Llechweddygarth on Saturday .I might take the camera . Ochr and Grai's mountain should be fun, if we do them.