Browning Maxus or Benelli

affinity121

a400 extream nicer than a maxus but cost a lot more ,went clay shooting last week purchased the cartridges there max comp x 21 gram things.my singing all dancing beretta would not cycle them ,but my mates maxus no problem .but it is my wildfowl gun and I would not buy 21 gram ever so not worried ,but that said it is suppose to recycle any cartridge if you watch the beretta hype on the internet.

Preferences
§
-
=
Backspace
Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]
Return
capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\
shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
/
shift
English
Deutsch
Español
Français
Italiano
Polski
Português
Русский
alt
alt
Preferences

Hi

I have a Maxus and a SBE2.

Both are great guns, and not so heavy that it makes a day walking around a real pain.

The Maxus doesn't feed perfectly when I have used a load of 24 or under, not a problem for me as I use 30 most as a default. The SBE2 is a little more forgiving. Generally, I prefer shooting with the Maxus - it just suits me better.

Perhaps controversial, but unlike my game gun which has to be thoroughly cleaned I don't clean the Maxus or SBE2 regularly - big bonus for me!

Both are great and you won't go wrong.

Cheers

Ive had both settled on the benelli m4 ive also had benelli super 90 and they never faulter ,thats why the british and american forces use the benelli in a combat role they are bomb proof.and not complicated to stripp.they cycle any round too from light to heavy loads

Ive had both settled on the benelli m4 ive also had benelli super 90 and they never faulter ,thats why the british and american forces use the benelli in a combat role they are bomb proof.and not complicated to stripp.they cycle any round too from light to heavy loads

Try both and then decide. Love the maxus. The speed loading/unloading was the deciding feature for me.

There is a magazine lock off facility on the gun which enables you to flick a lever on the left hand side of the receiver and lock the two shells in the chamber in place,(you can then empty cartridge one and the gun is 'safe'). But I've found this just catches on things and wish it wasn't there really.

• 3 weeks later...

i used a benelli m2 for a long time and liked it. i presently use a browing maxus and i have grown to greatly prefer it to the benelli and also the berettas that i have used and here is why:

1-the synthetic maxus has a tacky feel to it and the feel and the ergonomics for me is better. i shoot it better and kill more birds.

2-the recoil is less than the benelli and the browning has considerably less muzzle jump. i am killing more birds with it. the reduce muzzle jump to me is a big deal. i get back on target alot better.

3-i really like the speed load feature. in a hide or blind when the shooting is fast and furious i can speed load that browning quicker with no mucking about. here again, i am killing more birds with it.

4-the browning comes with spacers and shims right out of the box. the benelli has shims but no spacers .......so a long armed man is out of luck with a benelli. i can make the browning fit like a custom shotgun right out of the box.

5- i like the speed unload feature. you can unload the magazine tube without working the bolt.

6- i can enter a boat, blind, or hide with ammo in the mag tube and none in the chamber. all i do is work the bolt and i have chambered a round. no mucking about with buttons etc.

the benelli being a recoil operated gun blows the gases and out the muzzle and it is cleaner and easier to clean. the browning being a gas gun is more dirty. both guns are very easy to strip down and both are easy to clean. the browning does take about 20 minutes longer to clean.....but it is so reliable it can go many multiple hundreds of rounds between cleaning. with the browning get the bolt rails (the track the bolt travels on ) lubricated and it is flawlessly reliable.

Well I have both guns in my cabinet.

Benelli M2 - 24"

Browning Maxus Grade 3 - 26"

To which like you also a Browning fan, have a B725 and BPS too. Both guns you are looking at are great and won't go wrong with either.

If I had to choose one i would take the Benelli over the Browning. For your requirements, a rough gun that you don't mind getting beat up the synthetic furniture comes in handy too.

I would try and shoot both guns if you can. If you are recoil sensitive the Benelli might not be for you. It is notably different to a gas gun. That said I don't find it bad at all.

The reasons why I would have the M2:

Utterly dependable / workhorse. I've never had a stoppage to date.

Works with everything you can put in it, including 65mm cartridges (not 21g). Maxus will not reliably cycle 65mm. This doesn't limit your cartridge choice.

Fits me like a glove. Good adjustability, like the high rib.

After market toys available if that takes your fancy.

It doesn't need "cleaning" persay. Needs a pull through, strip & a wipe down. People say Maxus is easy to clean. It is, but still needs carbon scrubbing off various parts which just gets a chore once you've owned a Benelli.

Negatives...... Not as good looking as the Maxus. Not good value for money... expensive for what it is it.

Like I said, you can't go wrong with either. Just which ever most suits your needs. If it's a rough gun with a bit of clays go for the Benelli. Clay gun with some rough shooting I would go with the Maxus.

I do not get bored with telling people how good the Benelli M2 is.

C330362A-41E0-41E1-970D-174DF86B38F4_zps

Edited by Markbrowning

reconsidering my response in the following way:

1-i really like the ergonomics and feel of the maxus. i really like the reduced recoil and reduced muzzle jump. the fit and the feel to me is close to perfect.......and let me say that is a purely individual matter. no two people are built exactly alike. i really like the speed load feature and have killed that extra bird on a good number of occasions which is very useful. i like the ease of disassembly.....but the benelli is also very easy. the only thing i dislike is that it is a gaser and it does get quite dirty and to really properly clean it takes a good hour. i have recently put about abut 300 round through mine over the last several weeks and it looks like i have been shooting black powder in it. it has not missed a beat. one key to the maxus and do not over lubricate it. when cleaning wipe all the parts dry. clean the stainless tube with a green scotch pad and leave it bone dry. the only thing you lube is the rails that the bolt travels on in the receiver. you can bull the bolt out and take your finger and put alittle high quality gun lubricant on the part of the bolt that slides or you can oil the rails inside the receiver. do not lube anything else. the gun will be frightening reliable, but will get dirty like any gaser which is a pain in the a@# pardon my french.

2-the benellie is a very good gun. with proper ammo it is extremely reliable. (the maxus has been also extremely reliable and most modern militaries employ gas operated small arms etc). to me the advantage of the benelli is simplicity and ease of maintenance. you can clean a benelli thoroughly in about 20 minutes.

they are both excellent semi auto shotguns. the beretta guns are excellent also.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up my new syth Maxus on Friday, stock was a bit short so undid the screws and put in both spacers then tightened up and the bottom one went ping!! took it off again to find the plastic lug sheered off, my guess is that as I had put both spacers in the screw only locates on the lug bit sticking out not all the way in as it would do if you had no extensions on, as a qualified engineer this is pretty **** poor and will be talking to Browning and the dealer about a replacement stock, whats the betting I get nowhere! this was before I even fired it, ran it in on Sunday with 45 x 50G magnums and had one jam and two would not auto load, although i must admit i love this feature (if it is going to work properly) will advise on how i get on

I have the Synthetic Maxus. Had a few problems in the beginging.

1 being the main piston spring snapped, Browning replaced FOC and quickly through my local dealer.

After doing what is advised, putting a box of heavy loads through it now does'nt miss a beat, with light or heavy loads. recoil is minimal.

The speed loader is a great idea, takes a little getting used to, as with anything new it needs a bit of use free up.

it used to not always accept shells, but I now have the hang of it, it does not miss a beat. so good to be able to focus on whats coming in.

Maxus all the way

I shoot a Benelli Rafaello which is great in a hide. Works flawlessly and is simple to clean.

The new Benelli Ethos hit's the States about now. I wonder how long it will be before we see them?

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2014/01/04/first-look-benelli-ethos-shotgun/

Edited by Whitebridges

• 3 weeks later...

I am now using my maxus on pigeons and clays, flawless in use but can I be honest and say its a bit dull! In the same way that a silver pigeon is and a 525, this is obviously me and not the machine , as like a honda fireblade they are perfect in every way but I find them lifeless and soulless , I really never thought I would say this but I think I may sell it and get a remi 1187 again, I am past my best at shooting now and enjoy what the French phrase says " vive la difference" I really enjoy my old sidelock sxs and my winchester 101, I enjoy nothing more than seeing an old classic beating the latest extended orange choked thing. We have a guy at our clay club who is probably the best shot out of all of us with an old 325 28" grade 1 multi but is kept at 1/4 & 1/2 and has been for 20yrs it's even the game version, just amuses me. Whole new topic here I guess so may well start one :)