243 choice. ?

rapid basher

I picked up a sako 75, can't fault it, but its heavier gun. Howa are nice and light, or even a t3 lite cracking rifle,

Just depends on budget really

That's obviously going to be the big decider, budget...

What mounts are available too, is the safety noisy when being operated, additional mag, or loading methods, can you load from the top ?

Loads of options out there, blued or ss wood or plastic.

There's one make which for most has basically become the yard stick by which other makes are judged

The Sako is considered slightly better quality

The Reminton doesn't have the same out of the box shoot ability and requires tweaking

Which make do I refer to?

Tikka, T3 comes in many flavours and are hugely popular for good reason

Ps I don't have a T3 so I'm not biased, I do have a M55 in .243 and have had a 595 in .223, wouldn't be without a Tikka!

My rem 700 with the plastic stock is nice and light until I put on the scope and can!

They are all accurate, it is the combination of glass, round and the donk pulling the trigger...

I would buy another 700 in a heart beat as for me it works very well.

When I first got the gun a100 yard zero seemed a long way with the cheapish scope I put on it, I know zero 20mm high @ 200 yards.

It takes time and a lot of practice...

TEH

I have a Howa 243 my choice was simple assisted by my gun shop and by advice from 12 borejimbo (thanks mate) I'm only looking for maximum 10 deer if a year, more likely 5-7 they said the Howa was more than good enough if I was going to shoot more they suggested Tikka, well with the foxes I've taken and the deer I've shot they were right, it shoots spot on 1/2" at a 100 yards with PPU gets better with my reloads, Hogdon 4831 over a 90 g Nosler ballistic tips.

Alan

Remington are overpriced new now and of a lot lower quality than 10yrs back. Howa? ok basically a clone of the 700 but get a laminate have not been impressed by the other stock options. Sako or tikka are well worth a close look (the former quite a rise in budget), do not dismiss the CZ either but please forget the RRP its a work of fiction and a tool to rip off the unwary buyer.

I haven't been taken with any new guns over the last decade, prices have risen and quality dropped in most cases. Never forget that some nice prisoners get released from years of confinement in the back of a safe, but I should want to wait for one that was obviously little used. Some stalking rifles don't get to fire even 400-500 rounds over a decade

Ideally I'd like a nice light gun

With minimum recoil

But I no you carnt have both heavy barrel etc,

I don't know if you've had much experience with centrefire but to be honest in .243 with a moderator, recoil shouldn't even be a consideration. I'd echo what the other good folks have said here, the howa 1500 is hard to beat for the money. They've got 1:10" twist barrels but seem to stabilise 100grn perfectly well if you're planning to go after deer north of the border at any point. I was extremely lucky with my howa; it will honestly cut a ragged hole at 100m with PPU 90grn - at £12/box, I gave up on reloading.

Ideally I'd like a nice light gun

With minimum recoil

But I no you carnt have both heavy barrel etc,

Yes you can, my SPS 700 .308 is a pussycat to shoot. It isn't all about weight/recoil. My shooting buddy had a .308 CZ and the difference was astonishing. And as someone else mentioned, a .243, especially with light ammo, is not brutal anyway! :good:

post-20848-0-87602800-1386426687_thumb.jpg

Don't let people put you off Remington (if that's what you fancy).

I have 2 x Tikkas and all I ever heard was Remington is rubbish in comparison, you will regret it, the fact is, it is great. I like the Tikkas as well though! Howas certainly worth a look, they do some packages!

There are lots out there to look at and truthfully there are no BAD makes/models, some are just a bit less good than others, set your budget and look around!

Edited by Dekers

There's a Kimber Montana .243 Complete with Mod & Scope on The Stalking Directory for £1400 - Top Quailty Rifle set up ther :good:

I'm sure it is wonderful if that is what you are after, but I doubt it will shoot any much better to speak of than a 30year old Parker Hale with a Tasco on top, £200 or less probably! To be honest the PH surprise me, pal has one, got it for peanuts, pitted barrel, shoot MOA with PRVI...daft really! :good:

Sounds like everybody likes

The tikka"s aswell.

Can any one Inlighten my on

The twist ? I bit more. would I be right

@a Guss that it would stable heavyer

Loads out to more range?

Excuse my ignorance

Thanks for the offer fister but I'm

Think I'm looking for something in staneless

With a thumhole stock (think anyway)

Edited by rapid basher

I will sell you this one for a £1000.

Rem 700, 243, 1 in 8" barrel for stability up to 115gr bullets

Border archer barrel fluted, screwcut proofed 5/8th

Devcon and pillar bedded into a Macmillan `sako style` stock

Third eye tactical bottom metal with 5 shot AICS magazine

H&K flat black duracoat finish

does not include scope, bipod, cheekpiece bag, mounts or anything else in the photo.

And please note, that target was shot in test conditions on a training course from multiple positions; standing, kneeling and sitting supported. Prone from bipod and FREEHAND so no jokes about the accuracy please.

Cracking offer there mi old fister :yes:

I wouldnt buy another Remmy 700, not unless they have got much better in the last five years. I bought one in 243 and it shot well, once I chucked the sps stock and replaced the trigger but I would have saved money just buying a Tikka from the start. The Tikka is lighter, shorter and the trigger is crisp and adjustable. I now have Tikkas in 243 and 308 and are cracking rifles. Recoil with 243, even with 100gr bullets shouldnt be much of a problem with a moderated rifle and don't be put off buying second hand. There are far more rifles out there for sale that are barely run in than shot out.

I will sell you this one for a £1000.

Rem 700, 243, 1 in 8" barrel for stability up to 115gr bullets

Border archer barrel fluted, screwcut proofed 5/8th

Devcon and pillar bedded into a Macmillan `sako style` stock

Third eye tactical bottom metal with 5 shot AICS magazine

H&K flat black duracoat finish

does not include scope, bipod, cheekpiece bag, mounts or anything else in the photo.

And please note, that target was shot in test conditions on a training course from multiple positions; standing, kneeling and sitting supported. Prone from bipod and FREEHAND so no jokes about the accuracy please.

For Foxing?

What is the 1-8 like for lighter/faster ammo, excellent for the heavier stuff I'm sure but how does that work on 55/58g?

My 1-10 Tikka goes off with 100g, but 90g down it works a treat! :good: