Big Mink

pond digger 007

Did well to take him out....used to make me laugh when those ignorant animal rights activists used to break into the fur farms and release them...

A healthy adult mink can travel up to 6 miles down a river bank in a day and will kill everything it comes across....

I lost a good terrier to a mink in the early 80's.... it drowned the poor devil.

Do you shoot many? I haven't even seen one since I was about 12 (nearly 19 years ago)!

Not that I've got a problem with it at all, just curious as I thought they'd kinda disappeared

I have about 4ac of fishing ponds and this beast was shot on one of them. A year or two back I saw a family of them, island hopping on the same pond and was able to row to the island and shoot three of them. Other than that I shot two on nearby main watercourses, and an emaciated specimen wandering down the road to the farm. I also got one in a Fenn trap set for rats in the farm shed.

My fishing customers see them regularly on local canals but in order to shoot them, you need to be in the right place at the right time.

According to Wickepedia a male mink should weigh 1-3lb but a web search led me to an American trapper forum where a chap was claiming to have caught one weighing 7lb! Others had had them at 5lb and 32 inches nose to tail.

What struck me about my monster is the size of its neck at 2.5 inches in width and solid muscle!

Was it a male? They tend to be solitary. Looks like there is plenty of grub about where he came from.

Good shot. :good:

I have used a 17hmr on them, by baiting a raft with liquidised cat food for a few days, so that they have to lick it off. Sitting under a bush on the other bank, early morning just at day break.

Certainly don't want to get your hands near those knashers.

Was it a male? They tend to be solitary. Looks like there is plenty of grub about where he came from.

Good shot. :good:

I have used a 17hmr on them, by baiting a raft with liquidised cat food for a few days, so that they have to lick it off. Sitting under a bush on the other bank, early morning just at day break.

Certainly don't want to get your hands near those knashers.

Yes he's a male. He was lamped: good eye shine!

The 17 should sort em out.