Buying gold bars

Lg1

Gold has probably topped out for now as the world has become more stable (economically and politically) in the last year.

It's a dead investment - you don't get an income, you don't get a dividend etc. all there is is the chance of the value of gold going up.

Property is in another boom and yes, there will be another crash it's inevitable. But, you can get an income off it (rent) and there's the chance of capital appreciation (if property values continue yo increase).

1 million Romanians just round the corner.....

Edited by Mungler

Gold has probably topped out for now as the world has become more stable (economically and politically) in the last year.

It's a dead investment - you don't get an income, you don't get a dividend etc. all there is is the chance of the value of gold going up.

Property is in another boom and yes, there will be another crash it's inevitable. But, you can get an income off it (rent) and there's the chance of capital appreciation (if property values continue yo increase).

1 million Romanians just round the corner.....

Yes this is true..I had an endowment policy mature in 2006 from my first marriage It was about £7500 and I had agreed that my ex was to receive 33&1/3% of this..I didn't want to by an isa with my 5k so my Father in Law suggested I buy some Krugerands and I subsequently bought 16 1oz krugerands at 325 each and sold them at the start of 2012 at just over £670. Perhaps I should have hung on to them a little longer but it did pay for my daughters degree.

I never got to see them they were just virtual money as far as I am aware and I paid a monthly storage fee which was about £8.00 a month. plus commission to the agent.

I think they have topped out at about 790 now and the F i L, who is expert in these matters, doesn't see any reasonable return on them in the next 3 or 4 years

Edited by Fisherman Mike

Yes this is true..I had an endowment policy mature in 2006 from my first marriage It was about £7500 and I had agreed that my ex was to receive 33&1/3% of this..I didn't want to by an isa with my 5k so my Father in Law suggested I buy some Krugerands and I subsequently bought 16 1oz krugerands at 325 each and sold them at the start of 2012 at just over £670. Perhaps I should have hung on to them a little longer but it did pay for my daughters degree.

I never got to see them they were just virtual money as far as I am aware and I paid a monthly storage fee which was about £8.00 a month. plus commission to the agent.

I think they have topped out at about 790 now and the F i L, who is expert in these matters, doesn't see any reasonable return on them in the next 3 or 4 years

Good info, I think like most things that gold is a long term investment and not a quick flip..

krugerrand-1oz-gold-2013_jpg_79x45_q85.j 33.93 2013 1oz Gold Krugerrand

In Stock

From
£790
0.00%
From
£790.00
Buy jqb_2012_Krugerrand_1Ounce_reverse_JPG_7 33.93 1oz Krugerrand Gold Coin

In Stock

From
£790
0.00%
From
£790.00
Buy jqb_2012_Krugerrand_1Ounce_reverse_JPG_7 33.93 2012 - 1oz Gold Krugerrand

Awaiting Stock

From
£816
0.00%
From
£816.00
Buy Krugerrand_-_one_ounce_reverse_JPG_79x45 33.93 2011 1oz Gold Krugerrand

Awaiting Stock

From
£846
0.00%
From
£846.00
Buy 75proofKrug_jpg_79x45_q85.jpg 33.93 1975 1oz Gold Proof Krugerrand

Awaiting Stock

From
£1002
0.00%
From
£1002.00

why is the cost different?

Am I correct in saying you don't pay capital gain on krugerrands but do on bullion ? Maybe buying gold is a little more tricky than I first thought

Seem to recall that capital gains tax on investment returns of gold is only payable if the annual profit exceeds a certain threshold value...in my case I think it was about 10k...so unless you have a lot invested in gold a 10k annual return is unlikely.