Possible Poachers ???

Have been out for a walk, with the young pup this afternoon, around the surrounding area of our little shoot and came across 3 chaps on the end of one of our woods. As I walked to the gate there was another 2 sitting in a car and yet another chap with dirty knees, standing there talking to them.

I went over to the car and chap with the dirty knees and asked if they were with the lads in the field, to which he responded "NO". I then said that there were a few lads up there and just thought you were together. I then asked if he was ferreting as he had dirty knees, "Yes thats what we are doing" was his response. When asked if they had permission, and by who, he said "yes" but the name/names he gave didn't match the (a) the land owner, or ( B) anyone connected with the shoot.

A quick call to the shoot captain, who called the farmer, and no one had permission. (permision has been granted for summer time, but not once the birds have been released)

Soon there was one of the other chaps heading in my direction saying he had the permission. He did have the correct name of the farmer.

The shoot captain was soon on the scene and asking questions. The guy with the "permission" explained that he had been trying to get hold of the farmer but the signal was poor and had sent him a text to let him know he would be there to look out for a fox.

Forgive my suspicious mind. But the first chap denied being with them, then said he was, but only ferreting. The second chap did have the name and number of the farmer but said they were after a fox. Some of the other shoots in the area have had some trouble with poachers, so yes I am suspicious.

Unfortunately one of the dogs got stuck and they are/had to dig it out. I do feel for them digging in that ground as it is very stoney.

What would your thoughts be, and what is your approach to situations of this type?

Edited by shoot and be safe

Sounds pluasable wot they were up to, digging "foxes", dunno if weather cold enough to be gettin many foxes down holes yet thou.

The ammount of times i've heard stories of terrier boys returning back to holes/ground where they have been once with the keeper at cubbing time or fox drives quoteing permission of the keeper/farmer and just turning up whenever they want (and i do realise plenty off decent honest terrier boys out there would never do that) but also a fair share off rogues.

Would be surprised if many folk really poached pheasants now, or atleast not commercially as worth peanuts, possibly do it for 'badness' or a 'joke' thou

Have been out for a walk, with the young pub this afternoon, around the surrounding area of our little shoot and came across 3 chaps on the end of one of our woods. As I walked to the gate there was another 2 sitting in a car and yet another chap with dirty knees, standing there talking to them.

I went over to the car and chap with the dirty knees and asked if they were with the lads in the field, to which he responded "NO". I then said that there were a few lads up there and just thought you were together. I then asked if he was ferreting as he had dirty knees, "Yes thats what we are doing" was his response. When asked if they had permission, and by who, he said "yes" but the name/names he gave didn't match the (a) the land owner, or ( B) anyone connected with the shoot.

A quick call to the shoot captain, who called the farmer, and no one had permission. (permision has been granted for summer time, but not once the birds have been released)

Soon there was one of the other chaps heading in my direction saying he had the permission. He did have the correct name of the farmer.

The shoot captain was soon on the scene and asking questions. The guy with the "permission" explained that he had been trying to get hold of the farmer but the signal was poor and had sent him a text to let him know he would be there to look out for a fox.

Forgive my suspicious mind. But the first chap denied being with them, then said he was, but only ferreting. The second chap did have the name and number of the farmer but said they were after a fox. Some of the other shoots in the area have had some trouble with poachers, so yes I am suspicious.

Unfortunately one of the dogs got stuck and they are/had to dig it out. I do feel for them digging in that ground as it is very stoney.

What would your thoughts be, and what is your approach to situations of this type?

One night with Ayano3 and you now have pub on the brain , I bet that took some dragging around on the lead :lol:

Sounds pluasable wot they were up to, digging "foxes", dunno if weather cold enough to be gettin many foxes down holes yet thou.

The ammount of times i've heard stories of terrier boys returning back to holes/ground where they have been once with the keeper at cubbing time or fox drives quoteing permission of the keeper/farmer and just turning up whenever they want (and i do realise plenty off decent honest terrier boys out there would never do that) but also a fair share off rogues.

Would be surprised if many folk really poached pheasants now, or atleast not commercially as worth peanuts, possibly do it for 'badness' or a 'joke' thou

One local shoot reported around 200 birds taken in one night. If you get 50p each then that would be £100 for an evenings work.

Where did the nite time come from? His first line says this afternoon

I drove past around 14:00 and don't remember seeing their car there then.It was around 16:00 when I walked past and spoke to them.They eventually finished digging and drove off around 18:30 tonight

Edited by shoot and be safe

Talk to your local wildlife crime officer get a car number and let him have descriptions. 10 gets you 1 they are illegals one way or the other. Rather a lot of people for foxes. Expect a reduction in your pheasant population and check for illegal snares. It may be the group have other crimes in rural areas they may be associated with but make sure the police are involved records are everything in these cases.

The post was for him to understand not you !

He will understand why I mentioned a night with Ayano3

I was refer to mark mmb's post nothing to do with ur post

Was that poults stolen or adult poached? Never heard of it round here. Heard off poults being stolen in shooting press but to be honest i never know wether to believe it all, pretty hard to catch birds already released in a pen. Can see anti's scareing them out pen but the logistics of catching them and being able to sell them again without them all dying or looking very stressed

Easier ways to make 100 quid in a nite even legally, lot of work involved in killing and shifting 100 birds

Was that poults stolen or adult poached? Never heard of it round here. Heard off poults being stolen in shooting press but to be honest i never know wether to believe it all, pretty hard to catch birds already released in a pen. Can see anti's scareing them out pen but the logistics of catching them and being able to sell them again without them all dying or looking very stressed

Easier ways to make 100 quid in a nite even legally, lot of work involved in killing and shifting 100 birds

Sorry mate as it was under my post and I had mentioned a night at the pub I thought it was my post you were referring to .

I will agree that it would be difficult to take that amount of pheasants in a night and there would be far easier ways of making £100 illegally !

The infomation passed by the other shoot was shot with air rifle at night. The logistics of it wouldn't take that much planning, Park up before dusk, watch the birds going to roost, plink them with the pellet, they fall from the tree, you put them in your bag. A few trips like this to and from the car, 200 birds could be gone in less than 20 minuits between 2/3 guys.

Not worth the risk in my book. I have heard stories of the old school gamekeepers who would just shoot and ask questions later (mr. farmer where can I dig a hole).

Like others have said, there are easier ways of making £100, but we all work for our shooting revenue and pay tax for the "scroats" to get theirs.

I would say the boys u questined possibly were not meant to be there and probably up to no good, possibly inloving digging.

On the poaching side while i'm sure it will go on (and probably more so down ur neck of the woods if there is still as many travellers as there used to be, used to stay in digs at that blue bridge, Queensferry arms? long time ago done a lot of the fencing for that new road bridge, mind the travellers nicked about 60 m off erected secutirty fencing no idea how they done it)

It takes a big wood/shoot to have 200 birds all roosting together and i also know how heavy the b uggers can be when ur picking up. U would have to be prety desperate to do that for the money, but some folk are.

Sometimes i think it can be a handy excuse for keepers as often seems to be the same keepers it happens too, not saying that is always the case thou

Probably shouldn't admit this but mind as a young boy going out with the snare to get them of the roost, was rubbish at it :whistling:

50p a bird!!! In everyone's dreams this year! Game dealer is lucky to give you 10p! Demand has dropped to a seriously low level- no one can get rid of them!

I'm talking bigger numbers ie:150+, not 5 sold to aunt Sally over the road and 5 sold to the biddy next door for £2.50 each! So doubt they are poaching, just digging!

adult birds, shot through the Brest with a .22 whilst roosting, lamped with a green lamp, all done during the season to two local shoots a few weeks apart

Numbers are approx and having done my fair share on one of the shoots I know a little used road runs 60 meters away downhill from the pen, with a lay by a few more meters down, the keeper is a friend and loves his dog work so takes pride in dogging in so the pen area of that wood would be well populated

200 pheasants at night with an air rifle? Nah, not in the bag in one night from the trees :no:

I collard quiet a few lads poaching when i was keepering air guns garden guns and 22rf used and on a few times i have seen them get dropped off i would be on the phone to cops who were good and worked well with us and by the time we got them rounded up they would have had an hour of knocking them out of trees and you would be supprised how many they can take. I have cought one bloke back in the 90s he even told me what time he got there and showed me where he had put plies of birds for collection cos he said he would"t want them to waste and he had shot over 300 birds in just over 4 hours and he was on his own.

But i would say the lads you dropped on would be digging maybe not what they said they were have you been and looked around and found were they have been digging ?

I collard quiet a few lads poaching when i was keepering air guns garden guns and 22rf used and on a few times i have seen them get dropped off i would be on the phone to cops who were good and worked well with us and by the time we got them rounded up they would have had an hour of knocking them out of trees and you would be supprised how many they can take. I have cought one bloke back in the 90s he even told me what time he got there and showed me where he had put plies of birds for collection cos he said he would"t want them to waste and he had shot over 300 birds in just over 4 hours and he was on his own.

But i would say the lads you dropped on would be digging maybe not what they said they were have you been and looked around and found were they have been digging ?

Your correct in the assumption they were digging, but my thinking is if they will take the risk to do what they were doing then poaching pheasants is no where near as bad in the eyes of the law and could earn them a shilling

We must be quite lucky up here :good: don't really get much if any of that sort of thing.

Never thought it would be possibly to get the numbers that easily, but then again going into a roosting wood is the last place i would go walking with a lamp, so never really looked to see how easy it would be or not.

Must admit without jumping to conclussions, i would guess they were digging for something :whistling: just got to watch urself with some off them boys, try not to overly upset them but get there details and let the polis deal with it. Not worth getting hurt or motor vandalised over

All depends on the indivduals but some of the dog boys are brand new when u meet them (if u ignore the law breaking :whistling: ) and all they want to do is work there terriers and are not interrested in anything else

We must be quite lucky up here :good: don't really get much if any of that sort of thing.

Never thought it would be possibly to get the numbers that easily, but then again going into a roosting wood is the last place i would go walking with a lamp, so never really looked to see how easy it would be or not.

Must admit without jumping to conclussions, i would guess they were digging for something :whistling: just got to watch urself with some off them boys, try not to overly upset them but get there details and let the polis deal with it. Not worth getting hurt or motor vandalised over

All depends on the indivduals but some of the dog boys are brand new when u meet them (if u ignore the law breaking :whistling: ) and all they want to do is work there terriers and are not interrested in anything else

poachers don't use a lamp for shooting pheasants, full moon with white cloud with a good wind