Pigeon Resilience?

ManandBoy

We were out trying to shoot some woodys this pm through the trees and although we seemed to have good shots on them they flew away apparently unhit.I was wondering if we had hit them would they show any effects of it.We think our pellets were deflected by branches but were worried we might have hit without killing.The birds flew off the same as the surrounding ones.

Two possibilities. Either you missed or you hypodermiced them. By that I mean you drilled a hole straight through them (usually .177) as you hit them in a relatively unimportant area - miss the heart or lungs and off they'll go often to die elsewhere. Best to shoot them in the head or neck as they always drop when hit there. If there were branches in the way then you shouldn't really be taking the shot.

Woodies are not easy with a 12 ft lb rifle, you need to get close to rely on a headshot under field conditions. A rifle at a power of 16 ft lbs or more is a far more adequate gun to use. With that extra power you have the extra hard hitting power to attempt a shot at the spot just below the crop with far more confidence in bringing it down, or side on, into the rib-cage, just below the wing fold will also give consistent results. From behind, a shot between the shoulders close to the neck will also usually do the job. A good case here to argue for a higher legal limit!. But with so many of those airgun a'''holes around with no real interest in hunting what are the chances of that?

i do fine with a hw80 set at just under 12ft pounds (due to that annoying glich in the law that if a copper wants to test your air gun he can & use what ever chuffing pellets he wants to test them some do better than 12ft pounds & can get you in the mire if you dont have it on fac :D :*)) i find c.o.m. shots if you line your cross hairs with the line of the curve of the wing you hit the heart & lungs most of the time but as the old adage goes if in doubt dont take the shot