Introducing the OhmLaut 400

mick miller

Well, here it is, mk.3 of my DIY night Vision (or is it mk.4, I'm losing track!). I've nicknamed it the OhmLaut 400, partly a play on my name, partly a bit of a nod to all the reading and refreshing I've had to do on Ohm's law in order to make sure everything worked as it should and nothing goes pop! And finally, a realistic indication of the useable range, summer or winter (in summer you can see a lot further with less suspended moisture in the atmosphere reflecting back the IR light).

Same camera and viewer as all my other builds but I've managed to work out how to remotely run the buttons so I can have the brightness and contrast controls wherever I want them. Also, the replacement buttons are a lot more robust than the originals, so can take a bit more abuse.

I've also come up with my own IR torch, which uses an aspherical lens and a simple, push/pull system to go from focus to flood. In reality the user can simply dim the IR light when switching from distant to near quarry without having to adjust the torch. The lens and torch gives a wider picture at distance, so causes less hot-spotting than the Dereelight x-searcher and can be refocused easily to blend out the lines from the emitter so there is less banding in the viewer. The torch is driven by the night vision unit itself, plugging into the front of the controls and is supplied by the same 12v supply.

The unit has now done away with linear regulators and the like, so no heat to dissipate, no wasted power converting 12v into other voltages, giving maximum efficiency from the li-ion stock mounted battery.

The specifications are:

• 12v DC supply

• Built in 12v dimming driver for the IR torch goes from 0% - 100% so there is no need to restrict the objective of the scope to prevent flaring and hot spots

• Push/pull fast focus to flood IR torch driven from 12v supply

• Genuine eye level viewer with focus adjustment (not a DVR with a loupe over the screen!)

• 640 x 480 resolution screen

• Brightness control

• Contrast control

• Simple on/off above eyepiece

• Video out for recording

I'm now working on the next version, which should condense a lot of the features and result in a shorter body (by some 25-30mm), which will give even better eye relief.

ohmlaut.png

The-OhmLaut-1.jpg

Footage recorded in Summer is here. I'll be recording some more soon enough as this version now has video out.

Edited by mick miller

looking well bud, nice to see all the hard work coming to fruition ,

bet ya bank balance is a lot smaller mate lol,I must have spent well over £2,000 messing about with my night builds, ie different cameras , IR,s torches, mounts etc

have to say tho its been worth it and has past many an hour in the workshop and out in the field testing it all,well at least that's what I tell the wife lol,but gets me out shooting more

keep up the good work mate

cheers Evo

Thanks Evo, yes, ahem, the budget has well and truly been blown making this one up. The biggest single challenge was finding a solution that would do away with linear regulators and heatsinks and all the inherent inefficiencies of those.

It's been fun and frustrating in equal measure, but I really feel like I'm getting somewhere with this now, the results are great, I sat watching a fox at over 300 yards last night on about x12 or x14 mag. You could see everything including the changes in coat colour (or rather tone as it's black and white at night) from body to brush, I can make out the pigeon hide beyond that too although I'm finding that at this time of year the clarity at extreme ranges is reduced somewhat compared to the Summer months when everything was dry and clear. To be expected I suppose.

I am my own worst critic though, looking at stuff at those ranges and then thinking to myself that that could be better/ clearer is sort of ridiculous really, when you consider that my previous digi add-on was the NS200, it would struggle to hit 170 yards with any kind of detail or clarity although eyeshine was discernible.

I know wear your coming from m8

I was out the other night just trying to do some test filming,

After I got back and looked at it it looked as if it was raining :no:

It has to have something to do with the dampness in the air, as in the summer can see a hell of a lot further with the same kit

The think as you already Know you put some footage up and the next thing you get is I can do better than that thats **** or your cheating in some way or I will beat that,

Who gives a Hoot if it works for you and you get what you want out of it well thats it :good:

you try and give good all round help and most of the time its thanks that's helped us out no end I know what I'm going to get,

other times its I got one half the price works 3 times better and they buy it take it out and it falls apart or stops working OOOOOOOOOOOOO-well,

the old saying go's you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him Drink :lol:

still say well done it looks bloody good :good:

Edited by Verminator 66

Thank you. I'm very happy with it, the inside is not quite as neat as the outside but it's pretty close. There's also not a great deal of room left in there at all, I could do with smaller fingers sometimes.

Bet the wife would disagree :lol:

Opps sorry

Might put some of my builds up and videos for the boys to see again they did like them

• 1 month later...

It's on the cards, as I've said to others privately, I need to ensure repeatability in terms of manufacture. That's going to require a little more work with custom pcb's and molded parts.

There may be a few prototype units available soon though.

Edited by mick miller

watching field sports new show AirHeads earlier today and i couldn't help but notice the "prototype" NV system being used looked a bit familiar?

bout 25:45 minutes in and have a look at the new system, look familiar? gotta say if it is your build mick miller the short bit of footage was quite impressive!

:good:

Edited by Mr Majyk

watching field sports new show AirHeads earlier today and i couldn't help but notice the "prototype" NV system being used looked a bit familiar?

bout 25:45 minutes in and have a look at the new system, look familiar? gotta say if it is your build mick miller the short bit of footage was quite impressive!

:good:

they all look like that its what you do to the insides

this one even lets your shooting buddy watch as well with no leads

Come on still want to see your add on Majyk

post-26280-0-96879800-1390580840_thumb.jpg

Are you being serious? Yes, it's a through scope job. Box on top, camera in front of scope and eyepiece at the back; doesn't look like Darren has any dimmer system in there and is using an internal battery. What would you like me to do? Put the box on the end of the moderator 'just to be different'? All these systems are the same layout. the nitetek, lardyvision, mine, archer, envis, pvs14 etc. you look through the scope and the gubbins are on top, on the side, underneath, whatever.

That was my idea! Dammit!

Are you being serious? Yes, it's a through scope job. Box on top, camera in front of scope and eyepiece at the back; doesn't look like Darren has any dimmer system in there and is using an internal battery. What would you like me to do? Put the box on the end of the moderator 'just to be different'? All these systems are the same layout. the nitetek, lardyvision, mine, archer, envis, pvs14 etc. you look through the scope and the gubbins are on top, on the side, underneath, whatever.

That was my idea! Dammit!

well you cant have it all, you built one hell of a unit so far, can't wait to see what else you add to it.

But as it was your Idea, you can make a mount to mount the 7" monitor to the scope and put a screen round it :yahoo:

As you got lots of time on your hands OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOpp's

Edited by Verminator 66

Still want to see my add on? urrrrm, yea………..

Im still trying to learn bout it, I'm not an electrical genius, Evo was very kind and gave a few pointers for which I'm very grateful. to put it bluntly my electrical capabilities pretty much cover wiring a plug……………… no, I'm not joking :lol: So I've got quite a steep learning curve if i really wanna try a self build? having a hell of a time trying to find a near eye display at the moment. damn things seem rare as hens teeth! :/ and all this talk of drivers and circuit boards is utterly confusing!!

Hell, I'm still trying to decide if its even worth trying to build one? when i could just wait patiently and buy one of mick's impressive looking little units? if he is intending to sell them that is? the only reason i looked at self building is because i wanted to try and make something which is a little more comfortable to use than my pulsar challenger which does involve occasionally bending my neck to odd angles! the more i think about it the more i think that a self build might be a little to complicated for my poor little simple brain!

Still want to see my add on? urrrrm, yea………..

Im still trying to learn bout it, I'm not an electrical genius, Evo was very kind and gave a few pointers for which I'm very grateful. to put it bluntly my electrical capabilities pretty much cover wiring a plug……………… no, I'm not joking :lol: So I've got quite a steep learning curve if i really wanna try a self build? having a hell of a time trying to find a near eye display at the moment. damn things seem rare as hens teeth! :/ and all this talk of drivers and circuit boards is utterly confusing!!

Hell, I'm still trying to decide if its even worth trying to build one? when i could just wait patiently and buy one of mick's impressive looking little units? if he is intending to sell them that is? the only reason i looked at self building is because i wanted to try and make something which is a little more comfortable to use than my pulsar challenger which does involve occasionally bending my neck to odd angles! the more i think about it the more i think that a self build might be a little to complicated for my poor little simple brain!

I wish I never got started now as it takes all your money and more time looking and tinkering that you would believe

home builds are good but hard work to get right

I bet all in that Mick has put in over a grand so far in to just getting to were he is and thats just one unit

people think £150 for a Home made Kit

well can say I spent more than that on just one part inside my unit

with other bits I done like spotters but I get what I want

If I was you M I would watch this space or really look well and get what suits you best