Do I Need A Leader?

wymberley

Just a generally comment on spoding with braid Kent. I learnt the hard way years ago when I was doing a lot of gravel pit tench fishing.

Ah it wasn't done like that :lol: Was testing some different knots after a few drams :blush: I never wear one of those things but don't like fixed spool much for power casting anyway. Unlike Tim's suggestion I have anything but lady hands

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoding, feature finding, piking and lure fishing is all I will use braid for, although I know some anglers that use Berkeley Crystal (white/clear fused braid) in 6-8lb for long trotting as it floats without treatment and gives you instant contact on the strike at range.

I hear you! Not a big braid fan, it has its uses though I feel its over used now

I did not realise we had so many knowledable fresh water anglers on here. I have just bought some light gear to try lure fishing for perch and pike, living on an island with no rivers I will have to travel but really looking forward to it. I lure fish for bass through the year but Jan and Feb can be hard work so I thought I would try the freshwater when its to calm to go wildfowling.

So first question, would you still us a wire when lure fishing, if so would this not affect the action of the light lure.

I did not realise we had so many knowledable fresh water anglers on here. I have just bought some light gear to try lure fishing for perch and pike, living on an island with no rivers I will have to travel but really looking forward to it. I lure fish for bass through the year but Jan and Feb can be hard work so I thought I would try the freshwater when its to calm to go wildfowling.

So first question, would you still us a wire when lure fishing, if so would this not affect the action of the light lure.

Whenever Pike are present, if your on real light (ie ultra light gear) just use finer stuff, forget plastic coated though make your own up balanced to your gear from 7 stand or flexible 49 strand stuff. For lighter lures tie the lure on with a non slip loop (sometimes called the Rapala knot) or haywire twist how pike anglers make up hooked traces, doubled loop twisted then finished by annealing the end tag and turning a few touching wraps.

where you planning? Bala lake used to be good. You got some nice Bassing round you I have fished it many times when fuel was cheaper

Living in Anglesey I'd be tempted to have a go at LRF (light rock fishing) in the winter months. Every time I've tried it I've been giggling like a small child at the different peculiar looking mini species that inhabit the areas round the rocks close in. Great fun.

Sea fished all my life Tim, there are not many species I have not caught over the 40 odd years. I just cannot get myself motivated to go lrfing. But you are right the amount of species is amazing. I once won a species comp it was over the year and I had 52. I cannot wait to start on the perch though, I thought bass anglers were a secretive bunch but jesus they are nothing compared to perch and pikers lol

Whenever Pike are present, if your on real light (ie ultra light gear) just use finer stuff, forget plastic coated though make your own up balanced to your gear from 7 stand or flexible 49 strand stuff. For lighter lures tie the lure on with a non slip loop (sometimes called the Rapala knot) or haywire twist how pike anglers make up hooked traces, doubled loop twisted then finished by annealing the end tag and turning a few touching wraps.

where you planning? Bala lake used to be good. You got some nice Bassing round you I have fished it many times when fuel was cheaper

Going to try some of the nearer canals, I have a couple of lakes with pike in them quite close but nothing with big perch, or so I'm told

I am very fortunate with the bass,spoilt in fact

Edited by Terry P

There arnt many big perch anglers to be fair and numbers and size is very year on year, used to do lot in the English Lakes for them- a schoolie bas could tow one backwards to France though :yes: Pike? well we had a few very good fish bottom end of Bala going back 2 decades maybe though. If I lived on Anglesey I should prob need to spend the winter sleeping after all those early starts plugging and fly fishing those shores :rolleyes:

There arnt many big perch anglers to be fair and numbers and size is very year on year, used to do lot in the English Lakes for them- a schoolie bas could tow one backwards to France though :yes: Pike? well we had a few very good fish bottom end of Bala going back 2 decades maybe though. If I lived on Anglesey I should prob need to spend the winter sleeping after all those early starts plugging and fly fishing those shores :rolleyes:

Far too many duck to waste the winter sleeping lol. Fortunatly I spend almost all my time after the bass in the dark. Off for my first freshwater session next weekend so fingers crossed.

Far too many duck to waste the winter sleeping lol. Fortunatly I spend almost all my time after the bass in the dark. Off for my first freshwater session next weekend so fingers crossed.

Interesting, I like the dark but I rate the pre-dawn first breaking of light way higher than the first half of nightfall for all but Seatrout.

Interesting, I like the dark but I rate the pre-dawn first breaking of light way higher than the first half of nightfall for all but Seatrout.

Definitely for Bass in settled conditions, but up and over high in the dark after a big blow....for monsters. Nearly all of my big Bass have come on baits, at night after a hoolie! Had lots of good singles on lures, but I think all of the doubles were on baits in the surf.

When I used to fish for carp the best fish were nearly always pre dawn or the first couple of hours of the day too.

Edited by -Mongrel-

At a guess I would say 90% of my fishing is in the dark, I have had a few decent bass in the early morning but since going in the dark my catch rate of larger fish have gone through the roof. They come much closer in, and boy is it exciting when you hear a splash out in the night then your clutch goes into melt down.

It always amazes me that they find the lure in the pitch black

Edited by Terry P

At a guess I would say 90% of my fishing is in the dark, I have had a few decent bass in the early morning but since going in the dark my catch rate of larger fish have gone through the roof. They come much closer in, and boy is it exciting when you hear a splash out in the night then your clutch goes into melt down.

Noise and vibration is the key, I tried some luminous ones this year, certainly no better than a good surface lure.

I know I used to travel to Cape Cod regular for the stripers. :good:

Definitely for Bass in settled conditions, but up and over high in the dark after a big blow....for monsters. Nearly all of my big Bass have come on baits, at night after a hoolie! Had lots of good singles on lures, but I think all of the doubles were on baits in the surf.

When I used to fish for carp the best fish were nearly always pre dawn or the first couple of hours of the day too.

Storm beaches on bait yes, that's why they call 'em storm beaches! its all venue dependant, though I have taken some good uns at night on plug or fly in the night. One thing I have found is some marks only work with fly and lure well and others only bait. When the peel is really on its hard to buy a take on artificials though