Maldives

fat_jay

Have a look at

Veligandu Island Resort

We stayed there the year before last and it was fantastic.

We've been to the Maldives a few times and I think that was the best place - food was amazing!

We had a beach villa (quieter than water villas we think) one of the two nearest to the Dive Centre, and it was spot on.

:)

I personally would never advise people to visit the Maldives. They are totally flat. Maybe for a honeymoon or a place to recuperate for a couple of days but longer than that no way. Mauritias is prettier with better beaches and far better accomodation, and also The Seychelles are stunningly beatiful . If i was spending that kind of money i would want a bit more for my money than a pretty room/ beach. Lots more to be found on the Seychells with the most stunning scenery and mile after mile of beautiful beaches with no one on them.Amazing food and hotels and choice of dozens of islands to sail or fly to all equally stunning.I have travelled to many, many places and the Maldives don't come even in my top ten. from Auntie.

We've been "quite a few times" We always look for small Islands that are a seaplane journey away from Male.

Veligandu as said is indeed a beautiful island but the snorkelling is limited.

Villamendu has excellent snorkelling food is excellent but there's lots of people of eastern origin started going there & they don't seem to have an manners !!

Mirihi is a lovely island with excellent snorkelling but is expensive & you need to book well in advance.

Komandoo again is a lovely island with excellent snorkelling but whilst not "too" expensive it does get booked up well in advance - it's also an adults only island (Bliss)

I'll PM you some more info.

I personally would never advise people to visit the Maldives. They are totally flat. Maybe for a honeymoon or a place to recuperate for a couple of days but longer than that no way. Mauritias is prettier with better beaches and far better accomodation, and also The Seychelles are stunningly beatiful . If i was spending that kind of money i would want a bit more for my money than a pretty room/ beach. Lots more to be found on the Seychells with the most stunning scenery and mile after mile of beautiful beaches with no one on them.Amazing food and hotels and choice of dozens of islands to sail or fly to all equally stunning.I have travelled to many, many places and the Maldives don't come even in my top ten. from Auntie.

Scotland has beautiful scenery too!!

Polar white sand, crystal blue water and peaceful (depending on island you go to) Haven't been to others but Veligandu is like paradise.

Of course it is all about what floats your boat, and we got exactly what we wanted.

We went to Velidhu for our 25th wedding anniversary, but it was back in 1998... May well have changed by now. Beautiful little island, you could walk round it in 20 minutes easily. We stayed in one of the round houses, well equipped and comfy. Good food; and all food, wines and local spirits were included. Funny to see the Muslim waiters and staff finishing off the remains of alcoholic drinks left by people at night when they thought no-one was looking. Great reef snorkelling, and good scuba diving from the island by boat. We flew out from Male by seaplane, but took the high speed boat back. I would fly both ways another time, we were hoping to see flying fish but didn't... Great chill-out holiday, but the only sight-seeing is underwater!

Hope this helps,

Mike.

Edit - punctuation.

Edited by Mike737

Yes, child free would also be top of the list!!

Now that I have a little more time and am not on the ipad I can type a bit longer reply.

If you want child free then you need to focus on the smaller islands which only do the higher end of the market (i.e. too expensive to take your kids there). Kurimathi is really nice, but it is one of the larger islands. You'll see some kids on the more common area beaches nearer the main section of the island (the island is a big wedge shape with the main bits at the thick end of the wedge and the nicer rooms further out). Not many mind you, but some. The resort caters to germans a lot via Tui (Thompson) and it will be one of the nicer resorts where you can also afford to bring kids. That said, the resort is big enough that despite the capacity, you never see many people. It is a very lush island and big by maldives standards. If you are in the main bottom corner where there is a big bar, pool, and beach then you'll see people, but once you go 50m up the island it is rare. We had a deluxe beach villa for the first week, then they upgraded us to an overwater vila the second week. The deluxe beach villa was the second to last one and the water villa was the third to last one on the other side of the island (i.e. we were as far away from everyone else as we could be). It was very good.

This year we wanted to go all inclusive again (I recommend it if you're going to drink more than 2 drinks a day and/or if buffet food doesn't work for you. I'd never advise going to the maldives and planning to eat ala carte). We wanted a different island to see something new. We wanted good diving nearby and a decent dive center (Kurimathi's was fantastic). The food had to be good. Put all of those together and we made a shortlist of Constance Moofushi, Constance Halveli, Lux, Kurimathi, and 1 or 2 others that we only kinda considered. We settled on Moofushi and I can tell you how it is when we go in May.

thanks

rick

Agreed.

However, isn't it also alcohol free? Not my idea of a perfect holiday, I do that enough when working.

chris,

The resident islands are typically alcohol free, however the resort islands are decidedly NOT alcohol free.

thanks,

rick

I can recommend the Ohluveli(sp?) resort.

Beautiful luxury accommodation, delicious food, excellent snorkeling etc etc.

One thing I would recommend is go all inclusive( as alcohol was very very expensive.

We went there on our honeymoon 10 yrs ago, and whilst it was a stunning resort, I personally wouldn't go back there, as unless your a fan of lounging around or diving/snorkeling, there is nothing to do.

We went for two weeks, and whilst it was our honeymoon( so there were things to be getting up, or down to!) I would either combine it with a hol' in Sri Lanka, or look at somewhere with more going on.