204ruger

Why not? Not everyone uses the ballistic gain of the .22-250 over the .223rem but it is still a very popular fox round. Does everyone tht uses a .223rem make real use of it, most people in the UK will shoot the vast majority of there foxes at less than 150yds so are any of these people making real use of any of their chosen calibres. The .204 has better BC than the .223rem so doesn't get affected by the wind so much and I find it very good on long distance shooting so I have it instead of a .223. I used a .270 for a lot of years for deer but for what I used to shoot why didn't need it, a .243 would have been just as good as would a .308. Why do you opt for the .22 Hornet over the .223? It does what you need it to do and you like that particular round. You did say in a post on a similar subject not that long ago that somebody questioning your choice of calibre to be a bit rude.

Can answer that very quickly. Instead of saying why not? just ask simply why? no point saying "less wind" at what range and at what strength does it become relevant .

I use the Hornet over .223 for two simple reasons 1. the .223 rem will not do what the hornet can - its too powerful and requires too much powder 2. If I need more oomph I will just take the .243 win out. This doesn't mean that .223 rem is inferior just it don't suit the purpose intended IN MY USE

The only place rudeness come into it is if you don't understand like I say look carefully at the difference if it suits and can make use of that buy one. If someone chooses to buy any gun for any purpose that's their prerogative as long as its legal but then why ask for opinion in the first place, looks like the OP has a brain in his head I think

Edited by kent

I don't have a 204 but when I was looking into the 20 practical I was warned to pick a rifle with a faster twist rate.

if your gun won't fire the 40 grain and there are no shorter/lighter bullets to be found well your stuffed.

I haven't tried the 40grn but I do believe that my 1 in 12 (I think) may struggle with them, some do some don't, but everyone you talk to says that theirs will stabilise the 39gr perfectly ok. You wouldn't think 1grn would make a difference but it does. I use 32grn and haven't had a runner as yet.

I don't reload but wouldn't you need to spend the same on dies etc as you would for the .20 practical or have you already got some of the kit required? What sort of results would you get from the custom .223? Sounds quite interesting.

As far as I'm aware the standard dies will be fine. It's a high pressure chambering so you can fire the larger bullets.

It's just an idea and tbh I am really happy with the 222 and would consider it being my first choice (having the kit helps)with a heavy barrel and a slightly faster twist maybe ;) we will see :/

I haven't tried the 40grn but I do believe that my 1 in 12 (I think) may struggle with them, some do some don't, but everyone you talk to says that theirs will stabilise the 39gr perfectly ok. You wouldn't think 1grn would make a difference but it does. I use 32grn and haven't had a runner as yet.

It's the bullets length that determines the twist rate needed to stabilise it.

As far as I'm aware the standard dies will be fine. It's a high pressure chambering so you can fire the larger bullets.

It's just an idea and tbh I am really happy with the 222 and would consider it being my first choice (having the kit helps)with a heavy barrel and a slightly faster twist maybe ;) we will see :/

It's the bullets length that determines the twist rate needed to stabilise it.

I wouldn't have thought that there would be much difference between the length of a 39grn and a 40grn but it must be enough to make a difference as they do tend to stabilise better.

I wouldn't have thought that there would be much difference between the length of a 39grn and a 40grn but it must be enough to make a difference as they do tend to stabilise better.

There is a formula to work it out am sure someone will be along with it if we ask nicely :)

Failing that hears a computer operated version. Lmao

http://www.bergerbullets.com/litz/TwistRuleAlt.php

The brother shoots a .204.

No problem getting heads as we don't have the expanding Ammo clause that is in England.

Powder is the next best thing to impossible to get, but that's true of powder for any calibre here.

We are running 39gr SBKs in a Federal Case over 26.5grains of RE10x and CCI small Primer.

Gives ~3900fps and have taken foxes to 391 (Leica rangefinder confirmed).

No problem getting heads as we don't have the expanding Ammo clause that is in England.

Powder is the next best thing to impossible to get, but that's true of powder for any calibre here.

We are running 39gr SBKs in a Federal Case over 26.5grains of RE10x and CCI small Primer.

Is that a common problem or is it just that it's scarce at the minute?

I have both .204 Ruger and .223 Remington.

I haven't found it particularly hard to get hold of 20 cal reloading equipment or comsumables, including brass, powder, primers and heads.

However, the .223 Remington items are slightly better to get hold of, but have a lot more variety in comparison.

Given the difference, I'd say, a fast light 45 grain .223 round is not far off a .204 Ruger in 40 grain, in real day to day terms....

Having said that, I love shooting both of them just the same....

But would I buy both again, knowing what I now do?? No I wouldn't.... I'd buy a .223 Remington. A lot more versatile, and more rifles available to choose from.

Just my 2 pence worth.....

Jamie