Finding permissions

adam_h

I've spent the last two days trying to find permissions around the St Neots, South Cambridgeshire area with absolutely no luck. I take the "no sorry, we've already got someone" with a smile and thank them for their time but it's getting a bit depressing.

I've got one permission but it's in North London which is just over an hours drive from me and with a one year old it's a little limiting. I've got a .17hmr and shoot mainly rabbits but would love to find someone to go shooting with nearer home. Is there anyone who lives near-ish me that also shoots rabbits/fox so I can go out a bit more and hopefully anyone who might need some help maintain their permissions?

I appreciate that finding permissions are not easily come by and are cherished but it's getting very frustrating.

Merry Christmas

Adam

Do you only have an FAC, or are you shotgun shooting as well.

I only ask because its my experience that farmers are very cautious about allowing FAC holders on their land without references, or some previous experience of the individual.

If you also have a shotgun that is the easiest way in.

If you have a shotgun, keep an eye on the rape fields now and into the New Year and when you see the birds hammering a particular field, find out whose it is and ask if you can shoot the pigeons on that field, don't ask for a lifetimes permission to shoot every field the farmer has, start by asking about a particular field while the pigeons are on it.

He will know there are pigeons there and if nobody else is on the field you have a good chance of getting permission.

From that start, other fields get added and on it goes.

I have obtained a lot of shooting land with this approach.

Do you only have an FAC, or are you shotgun shooting as well.

I only ask because its my experience that farmers are very cautious about allowing FAC holders on their land without references, or some previous experience of the individual.

If you also have a shotgun that is the easiest way in.

If you have a shotgun, keep an eye on the rape fields now and into the New Year and when you see the birds hammering a particular field, find out whose it is and ask if you can shoot the pigeons on that field, don't ask for a lifetimes permission to shoot every field the farmer has, start by asking about a particular field while the pigeons are on it.

He will know there are pigeons there and if nobody else is on the field you have a good chance of getting permission.

From that start, other fields get added and on it goes.

I have obtained a lot of shooting land with this approach.

^^^^ This is sound advice, I get people knocking on my door almost every weekend (I imagine some people off here have been at my door) and it's just not safe or feasible to have dozens of regular shooters, but......when pigeon are hitting fields I can see from my house and someone has left their number with me, they'd get a ring.

I have two regular shooters, but lots of 'hit men'.

Do as above, show you know your beans, and turn up with the bad news of hundreds of pigeon on a single field, and ask for a 'day permit'.

Edited by kyska

Cheers guys, I've got both FAC and SGC but yet to get my shotgun as funds didn't allow at the time. I can get a shotgun now but am limited to about £400 so second hand it is. Often it's hard to find out which field belongs to whom as there's often no ****** about on the farm yards lol.

Kyska and Cranfield, thank you for your advice, I'm hoping that with both shotgun and rifle I can cover most problems and build a working rapport with my local landowners

It will come mate as it has been pointed out landowners seem to favour you getting rid of pigeons with a sg rather than letting you straight on with a rifle, but keep trying mate you will get a yes and once you have one , more will probably fall on your lap, I secured 3000 acres around 5 yrs ago without asking, my freinds son went to a private school and another boy from the schools parents owned a farm and mentioned they had a rabbit problem but didn't know anyone they could trust,

Next thing unknown to me he had given my number and they rang and they asked me, after a month of clearing the population of rabbits on there land they asked me to go to 2 neighbouring farms.

Very good freinds now I work on the farm on my days off (well paid)

And it costs me £20.00 a year on a Christmas present for them, everyone's happy....

Sound advice, but it was only the other day you posted that you didn't know your beans :lol:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/268399-new-to-me-beans/

you just can't say anything on this site without someone remembering LOL

adam_h give me a shout in the new year and i will take you out for a few goes

would help though if you weren't so secretive in your profile page though

colin

colin

I do hope you aren't thinking I'm a bull talker? We're just in a flux with a new contractor.

How ironic, I had a permission in Eley not that far from you and couldn't find anything near North London. It's a shame because if I still had it I would have offered a swap!!

Good luck with getting permission, it can be frustrating but persistence will pay off. And as already said, watch the fields and ask to shoot that field when it's being hammered. You then have a foot in the door.

Cos

colin

Colin, v kind of you, hope you and yours have a great Christmas and new year