How much ?

gazbev

Hi, had dogs but never a gundog,I want a Springer for beating/walked up next year and have put some feelers out and the price difference is unbelievable.

For a recognised working line I have been offered between 450 all in and 800 PLUS innoculations.

I don't want to start a debate over whether it's worth having these lines in your dog because you can get good working dogs from non ftch lines but its a fact that it's less likely.

If I am not going to trail them so is it worth spending on the high end dogs,somewhere in the middle or a bottom range one whose owner works and trails his dogs all year round and has just one litter?

Jesus Christ, who's trying to sell you a springer pup for £800?

If you look carefully you will get a well bred springer from good working stock for £350 - £450. Try and see the dam working at least, the dam line is normally the weaker of the two so if the dam is good chances are a decent sire will have been chosen.

I recently purchased a Springer pup, and spent the previous three months checking and researching the various relevant sites. I eventually paid £450 for a well bred bitch pup with a FTCh. Sire. Working Cockers appeared to be going for the big money, but I think that was more to do with their popularity for pet homes. Best of luck with your search.

Top names for the 800 I must admit,I have asked a few and have had 3 x 450 pounds 2 x 650 3 x 800 one with the jabs on top.

I was talking to a bloke in the pub and he had a springer bitch and he said he paid 1200'from a well known breeder in Gloucester and he was selling cocker pups for more.

I think I am going for a 450 one but was wondering if it was worth spending that extra money and what do I get for it,if it gives it the edge to win field trials then I'm not interested,if it would help me in the field and would have a health tested pup that isn't going to be sickly and cost me a fortune in vet bills,it is worth it if you see what I mean.

Top names for the 800 I must admit,I have asked a few and have had 3 x 450 pounds 2 x 650 3 x 800 one with the jabs on top.

I was talking to a bloke in the pub and he had a springer bitch and he said he paid 1200'from a well known breeder in Gloucester and he was selling cocker pups for more.

I think I am going for a 450 one but was wondering if it was worth spending that extra money and what do I get for it,if it gives it the edge to win field trials then I'm not interested,if it would help me in the field and would have a health tested pup that isn't going to be sickly and cost me a fortune in vet bills,it is worth it if you see what I mean.

You know never to believe what someone in the pup tells you, most working line dogs will do you for what you want,

You know never to believe someone in the pup dont you?

I'd be very careful what springer you buy, you've never had a working dog before and getting a springer, I'd be more interested in how fiery and excited it's dam and sire were as opposed to the awards the blood lines have won,

Some springers require a lot of experience and patience from the handler to become a good team,

The best springer we've ever had was a little swine to train, he'd be that excited when he knew he was going out he'd be shivering, you dont want a dog like that as your 1st working dog

For now

I don't know about NEVER believe someone in the pub and from my findings it's not that hard to believe these prices.Ring will Clulee,simon tyres or Jeremy organ for a pup and you are getting close.

I think you are right about some dogs being too hot for novices some say a ftch x ftch can be too much,some say they are naturals and are not hard to train because of their natural born ability from careful breeding.

The chap I've been talking to about buying a pup has a bitch that excels at beating and picking up and he is choosing a sire that has won an award so not a ftch and although he trails dogs and breeds some dogs with trails in mind, he tells me both dogs are steady and pups would be good working dogs.

Also what's the difference between working lines and trail lines? Most trail dogs work after all.

A breeder I spoke to says a hyper dog you have to have a battle with is not a good result from the mating

You have to start somewhere with working dogs,I hope I make the right choice,what do you recommend?

Edited by gazbev

I paid £650 for a FTCh x FTCh pup from Davie Lisset. The sire is now standing at stud at Rytex. Not sure what on the market would justify a £150 increase on that? Never mind £1200 for a springer pup!

However, the best breeding will give you the best chance of a very good dog IMO but there is plenty of very good breeding out there for sensible money.

Edited by WGD

I paid £650 for a FTCh x FTCh pup from Davie Lisset. The sire is now standing at stud at Rytex. Not sure what on the market would justify a £150 increase on that? Never mind £1200 for a springer pup!

However, the best breeding will give you the best chance of a very good dog IMO but there is plenty of very good breeding out there for sensible money.

I know,was the dog easy to train,or was is a psychic battle that some warn of?

MM, if its a first go I might suggest you avoid the more expensive FTChxFTch lines and get a working line that had a sprinkle of the trail dogs but was mainly solid working dogs in the hands of rough shooters and beaters / pickers up etc.

otherwise it can be like passing your test and getting a WRX or Evo, bound to lead to trouble :yes:

Money I should set a realistic limit with the above in mind and avoid the "names" as they are selling WRX's and / OR a badge, its not unknown to breed or deal for cash

+1 Above

I see so many dogs from FTCH To FTCH or a hot bitch and most pups are just to hot to handle unless your experienced, i agree with Kent for your first gundog, otherwise

you will be more than likely do have a dog that is running you.

Good luck with what you choose.

Rich

I know,was the dog easy to train,or was is a psychic battle that some warn of?

That particular dog has been a piece of cake to train and is a pleasure to work with, but he's fast and perhaps not a dog for a novice. That said, the hardest headed, biggest PITA spaniel I have ever owned was bred from "good working stock" so try and see the sire and dam working game if possible.

That particular dog has been a piece of cake to train and is a pleasure to work with, but he's fast and perhaps not a dog for a novice. That said, the hardest headed, biggest PITA spaniel I have ever owned was bred from "good working stock" so try and see the sire and dam working game if possible.

+1 for me as well, everything that I've had that's been well bred with at least one FTCH or FTW parent have been a doddle compared to the 'good working stock' lunatic a labrador I had.

Btw if you fancy a very cheap 10 month old cocker that will work, PM me

Thanks for the advice I will follow it,I have been in touch with the breeder and the sire would be a FTAW,he won an award on his first run and the bitch is not ftch but out of samsir babbler and not run yet.

Thanks for the offer of a cocker but I don't know much about them,I have never seen one work, I actually like the look of them and the size it's just every beat I go on they have springers or labs so have been drawn to them.How do they compare to a springer?

PERCE - don't be trying to palm your cocker **** off on a man who knows he wants a real dog! Lol.

It's not my cocker that's for sale, I just know of a well bred one that'll make a decent worker going cheap.

My little lad is doing just grand in his first full season, works his socks off.

Thanks for the advice I will follow it,I have been in touch with the breeder and the sire would be a FTAW,he won an award on his first run and the bitch is not ftch but out of samsir babbler and not run yet.

Thanks for the offer of a cocker but I don't know much about them,I have never seen one work, I actually like the look of them and the size it's just every beat I go on they have springers or labs so have been drawn to them.How do they compare to a springer?

Clever little blighters with their own mind if you ask me, not that easy a ride as a springer. I quite fancy one but they aint honestly big enough for my needs. A top pro trainer who also kept his own line reconed they were the hardest he had in to train because of that big old brain just thought too much for itself in a little, fast, active, hunting body. Most are very Trail bred so that flips the coin back away from breed and more to line chosen again.

Breeding is no guarantee though just an assurance of likelihood

It's not my cocker that's for sale, I just know of a well bred one that'll make a decent worker going cheap.

My little lad is doing just grand in his first full season, works his socks off.

Is that Slim Jnr by any chance (the blue roan dog)??? I have seen an add on facebook for him and for the money he looks a cracking little dog. Was very tempted myself!

Doggone it, kent - sounds like you need a Boykin to refute everything you've said a cocker is or ain't, whether size or brains - 'specially the trainability. And the price is right in line with what's asked for too.

Clever little blighters with their own mind if you ask me, not that easy a ride as a springer. I quite fancy one but they aint honestly big enough for my needs. A top pro trainer who also kept his own line reconed they were the hardest he had in to train because of that big old brain just thought too much for itself in a little, fast, active, hunting body.

100_3838_zps9a2112cb.jpg

MG

Doggone it, kent - sounds like you need a Boykin to refute everything you've said a cocker is or ain't, whether size or brains - 'specially the trainability. And the price is right in line with what's asked for too.

100_3838_zps9a2112cb.jpg

MG

Well there is a blooming great fly in that ointment mucker.