loud presenters

newarcher

I think its an age thing. I find it annoying the way Chris Evans shouts incessantly, either on radio or tv, to the extent I can't bear to listen to him anymore. I also find it bloody annoying the way British audiences have taken on board the American habit of whooping and hollering for ANY reason on tv shows. But that said, I am getting on a bit now.

Its not so much the presenters that irritate me, its the varying volume on various channels.

Watch one with the volume set at No.12, the next one needs No.25 and some need over No.30.

Why can't there be some gadget in a modern TV that regulates the sound so its the same volume, to save us having to turn the sound up and down all the time.

I am pretty sure they up the volume when the adverts are on to get your attention.

Wish i could get a telly that automatically switched to mute when the adverts come on ,then switch sound back on when the prog starts again, before anybody else says it i know a remote can do it but the wife is not always there to use the remote. :good:

johnnie

I am pretty sure they up the volume when the adverts are on to get your attention.

They don't. It's actually illegal - Well against broadcasting regulations anyway - to increase volume during ad-breaks.

The reason it SOUNDS louder is that they get around it, by pumping sound across more of the signal. Some of the bandwidth of their signal is devoted to pictures and some to sound, and some spare. They just vary the balance.

The 'Valley Girl' upwards inflection at the end of each sentence drives me mad, like. A result of sub standard American and Aussie TV.

Can't stand the way people emphasise the end of a sentence or a statement ,have a mate who does it now he didn't use to.But got a job in a council dept,it annoys me so much I can't go for a pint with him!

Slightly off topic.. but celeb orientated l suppose !!

Had a chap in the back of the ambulance, taking him to A&E .. we chatted a bit enroute .. he informed me he was a retired sound/lighting johnnie in the film and tv industry some time back.

I said, "lve got to ask!!" ... who was the nicest person you met in the business abd who was the biggest **********. .

Nicest by a country mile.... John Hurt

The worst, by far .... Timothy Dalton

Soz for the hijacking ...

I don't watch a mass of tv but with the wife and 3 kids (2 of them teenagers) there is always a tv on. This means most of the things I like, like Duck Dynasty, mountain men etc are sky +. I can the skip all adds when I watch them.

I agree with the shouty people, there are enough in life without them being in my living room on tv. My pet hate is Tv in kids bedrooms, makes for an easy life but an antisocial household.

God I sound like my dad.

Glad to see I am normalish.

Hate celeb culture, ads do sound louder (and I want one of those mute devices), I simply hate the end of sentence auto question raising of the voice, So much in fact of modern habits. I hear this morning that women are now probably more likely than men to be chivalrous and considerate. Clearly whoever carried out that survey didnt drive to the studio.

I find women rather more pushy than men these days.

DONT GET ME GOING ON LOUD PRESENTERS.

I am becoming my dad - just about sums it up.

And there was me thinking I'm the only one with Meldrewitis , obviously the wife is wrong. Sky + is fast becoming my friend

I rarely watch "live tv" these days,

Most of what I watch is recorded due to the adverts,

Sky type channels are the worst,

On Discovery you get your first advert 6 minutes in,

I think they all do it now....."Grumble Grumble"

:shaun:

Its not so much the presenters that irritate me, its the varying volume on various channels.

Watch one with the volume set at No.12, the next one needs No.25 and some need over No.30.

Why can't there be some gadget in a modern TV that regulates the sound so its the same volume, to save us having to turn the sound up and down all the time.

That would be your hearing aid Cranners..the 60,s models you have are obsolete and are now self adjusting…get your hand in your pocket and invest in anew one or replace your old cathode ray valve set with a new flat screen with auto sound level control. ! :lol:

On a serious note I cant stand Chris Evans in the morning or on the one show on a Friday and now have to turn off…it’s all about him or his bloody kids..plus he looks like a complete r(d)ick

And Zoe Ball does my head in on Strictly take 2…God she has got a gob on her, never lets the guests get a word in, it’s just me, me, me and is more hyperactive than a springer spaniel…I’m sure she’s on drugs.!

Edited by Fisherman Mike

Our TV only goes on occasionally and Countryfile was one on Sunday - I thought it was me who thought all these girl presenters had harsh loud voices so glad to hear it isn't -Had to turn sound off when that gobby bird on bike started to prattle - Had pleasure of listening to old prog of Antiques shows with Fiona Bruce the other night - Oh what joy to listen to calm and mellow presenter.

University Challenge was prog for last night - now I don't think there anything intelligent worth watching now till Question of Sport on Friday

Dave

My pet hate is 'the double act' why oh why can't one presenter read all the lines? Why chop and change between two people at the end of every sentence. Oh and don't get me started on the use of the word "absolutely" at the end of every other sentence (Rant over)

Cheers

Tom