20 bore game shooting stigma?

ashtons99

I am interested in forum views on those who turn up on a game shoot bearing a 20g shotgun. I own mainly 12g guns but have an amazing example of a Winchester Model 23 in 20g. The gun handles lovely and always attracts admiring comments but I am aware of comments generally made about those who choose to use a 20g.

The comments are generally around handicapping oneself with small loads and limited patterns, only wounding game instead of cleanly killing and also "when world champion clay shooters start using them in competition I'll start carrying one"

Now Im not the best of shots but I do ok. I really love the 20g but I feel that when I bring it on a shoot I will no doubt be subject of comment and even more so if I have a particularly bad day!

It has made me reluctant to take it out of the cabinet really which is a shame.

Am I being more than paranoid on this one, I feel sure others will have heard similar comments

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is also a school yard thing picking of the kid with a different toy :) I'm sure you are a big lad so stop worrying about what other people think and enjoy yourself, after all that's what life is about.

Absolutely agree, I shoot a 28 bore at game and if you put it in the right place the birds fall down

Mate, im 6ft tall fat as an egg, and as bald as a ripped rug. I only shoot little girls guns apparently, so much so I sold all my real guns last year and now only shoot nothing other than 20bore, no matter what, be it pigeons, rough shooting or driving game. And belive me I can hold my own agains all the other guys with there real mens guns lol. So basically what im saying is, if your happy with the gun and confident in your ability with it then crack on, other wise you could always send it my way and I'll give it a good home lol cheer hh

I have been a member of many Game syndicates and attended many Game Shoots as a guest gun and a beater over the years and have never heard an adverse comment about the use of a 20bore on the day.

I have used both bores successfully on driven birds, your ability to kill birds cleanly will not change if you move from a 12bore to a 20bore

You can even use loads the equivalent of those used by the average 12bore shooter, if you wish.

I use 28gms felt wad No6 shot in the 20 bore.

20 bore gun design and handling seems to have changed a fair bit over the years. 30 years ago a typical 20 bore was a side by side, lighter (around 5lb 3oz), shorter in the stock and barrels and fired two and a half inch 21g cartridges. Such guns were generally used by boys, women and older men. Performance was inferior to the 12 bore.

Nowadays we have longer stocked, heavier 20 bore guns (my Caesar Guerini Maxum weighs 7lb 3oz) which you can buy off the peg that throw upwards of 30g of shot from 3in magnum chambers if you are inclined to do so.

My other game gun is a 12 bore SxS made in 1906. I shoot 28g of No 6 in both guns and don't notice any difference in the performance. I like to use different guns just to have a change from time to time and don't prefer one above the other.

Edited by Whitebridges

Ignore the naysayers and get on and enjoy your day. Shoot the gun and cartridges you want to shoot.

This.

The 'trend' in our neck of the woods is to use the smallest calibre you can, during September you won't see a 12 used at all , they mostly shoot 20's but more and more are shooting 28's with a couple now moving to 410's

i have just got myself a browning b425 in 20 bore . it feels lovely to hold , not had a go with it yet due to ill health but hopefully we are having a clay shoot on christmass eve so will go along and try it out . something to look forward to . i bet all the lads will want a go with it better get a load of cartriges for them. i got the wife a little 410 in the summer and i could nt get it back of the lads :lol::shoot: