20 bore game shooting stigma?

ashtons99

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My late uncle started with 12 bore but as he got older he used a 20 bore and he stated the same as some on here the 20 bore has same powder charge as 12 bore just slightly less shot and with the 3" chamber its just as powerful as a 2 3/4" chamber 12 bore he use to say. He had a 16 bore as well which I have in cabinet at moment which I am most careful off regarding cartridges as I have 12 bores as well, so easy to drop 16 bore cartridge into 12 bore then drop 12 bore cartridge on top then look out you be lucky if you not disfigured for life if fired.

I am interested in forum views on those who turn up on a game shoot bearing a 20g shotgun. I own mainly 12g guns but have an amazing example of a Winchester Model 23 in 20g. The gun handles lovely and always attracts admiring comments but I am aware of comments generally made about those who choose to use a 20g.

The comments are generally around handicapping oneself with small loads and limited patterns, only wounding game instead of cleanly killing and also "when world champion clay shooters start using them in competition I'll start carrying one"

Now Im not the best of shots but I do ok. I really love the 20g but I feel that when I bring it on a shoot I will no doubt be subject of comment and even more so if I have a particularly bad day!

It has made me reluctant to take it out of the cabinet really which is a shame.

Am I being more than paranoid on this one, I feel sure others will have heard similar comments

I load on a couple of shoots & lots of people shoot 20 bore , nobody bats an eye .We cater for a lot of Belgium guns & virtually to a man they shoot 20's .One guy last week was using Black gold 32gr 5's & knocking some spectacular birds down .Get the gun out & use it ..

Guest cookoff013

My late uncle started with 12 bore but as he got older he used a 20 bore and he stated the same as some on here the 20 bore has same powder charge as 12 bore just slightly less shot and with the 3" chamber its just as powerful as a 2 3/4" chamber 12 bore he use to say. He had a 16 bore as well which I have in cabinet at moment which I am most careful off regarding cartridges as I have 12 bores as well, so easy to drop 16 bore cartridge into 12 bore then drop 12 bore cartridge on top then look out you be lucky if you not disfigured for life if fired.

is this for real?

I only use a 20b now, and it's no different at all to a 12 in its capabilities, I've shot 50 yard pigeons and pheasants with it, I love the fact it's lighter and seems a lot easier/faster to get on to the bird. If your using an one, id suggest an ounce of 6's or 5's for pheasant and an ounce of 6's or 7's for pigeons

Edited by fuzzypigeon

This is where it gets a little contentious, and I am not adding this just for the sake of 'debate' I may be looking for a lighter gun to take out into the field, instead of lugging my 30" clay gun round all day.

So if you are shooting once loads or more through a twenty, what advantage does it offer over a field weight 12b?

This is where it gets a little contentious, and I am not adding this just for the sake of 'debate' I may be looking for a lighter gun to take out into the field, instead of lugging my 30" clay gun round all day.

So if you are shooting once loads or more through a twenty, what advantage does it offer over a field weight 12b?

If you're comparing as 12 and 20 of equal weight I think it's better to be built up to a weight than down to one, the construction and balance will be better. That said I have a Urika Light in 12gauge and at 6 1/2lbs it's superb. It did have to have the gas valve shaft changed to a steel one because the alloy one eroded after 10k plus shells which I think is a good example what you lose when trying to make a gun lighter than it should be.

There is no advantage or disadvantage of having a 20b instead of a 12b it's all about what suits each person, now those that have met me will have seen I'm built like a racing snake, i have used a 12b since I was 10-12 years old exclusively.I bought a 20b for my mrs as she is a slight build. When I used it for the first time I was shocked by how light it was n how little recoil there was that after a year of using hers more than my 12b I sold the 12b and got a 20b myself, I haven't felt I couldn't take a shot because I've got a 20b in my hand. Even with one ounce loads the recoil is no more than the 12b I used with 1 1/16th 1 1/8th ounce loads.

I've got a matched pair of rizzini's in both 12 and 20. I do a fair bit of walked up rough shooting and woodcock / snipe which requires a fair bit of walking and snap shooting. The 20 weighs in at just a smidge over 6lb, so it's lovely and light to walk with. I don't swing it so well due to the light weight but for snap shooting it's ace.

When in on a full driven day I tend to err on the side of the 12' as they are matched it fits identically but the extra weight helps me swing and lead the bird better. It also has the advantage if ducks are around that I can slip in some no 4s, whereas anything larger than a 5 is hard to find for the 20.

Anyway, whatever, I love my 20 and probably use it more than any other gun.

Providing your birds are in the main within 40 yards and most shoots are then take and use the 20. Very experienced game shots who do many days a year tend to move from 12 to 20 as it makes the job a bit more of a challenge. In the right hands they can kill just as far as a 12, if its an O/U load it with 28 or 30gr of 5 shot. My eye has been wiped several times by my friend with his 20.

I would not recommend taking a 12 and a 20 to the same shoot, to much chance of a stray 20 bore case getting into a 12 bore chamber.

A

• 3 weeks later...

I am interested in forum views on those who turn up on a game shoot bearing a 20g shotgun. I own mainly 12g guns but have an amazing example of a Winchester Model 23 in 20g. The gun handles lovely and always attracts admiring comments but I am aware of comments generally made about those who choose to use a 20g.

The comments are generally around handicapping oneself with small loads and limited patterns, only wounding game instead of cleanly killing and also "when world champion clay shooters start using them in competition I'll start carrying one"

Now Im not the best of shots but I do ok. I really love the 20g but I feel that when I bring it on a shoot I will no doubt be subject of comment and even more so if I have a particularly bad day!

It has made me reluctant to take it out of the cabinet really which is a shame.

Am I being more than paranoid on this one, I feel sure others will have heard similar comments

If its a 23xtr 20b and your not happy with it, SELL IT. I WILL TAKE IT OFF YOUR HANDS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I used to shoot a browning 425 in 20 bore which killed 30-40 yard pheasants very cleanly with an ounce of 6's plus you can get plenty of cartridges in your pockets! In retrospect my friends young son probably cleanly kills more birds with his old 12 Miroku with 24 gram 7and half clay loads than the rest of the syndicate!!!

• 4 months later...

Ive been using a Browning 525 20b for 5 years now on all game and rough shoots. It's a cracking calibre that has more than enough energy and shot count to do the business. Eley, Hull and Gamebore all have good carts that do well.

As the others say, it's personnel preference, I'll well happy with mine and only use 12b on wildfowling and the hide work. Wildfowling; I can make some great steel carts for wildfowling that I don't think the 20b could compete and hide work as it works out cheaper when you are firing lots of carts in a short space of time.

Hope this helps