20 bore game shooting stigma?

ashtons99

I was on a partridge shoot at Llandinam in Wales. Highest and fasted partridge I think its possible to get. There was a guy shooting with a 28b (with full chokes in), I've rarely seen such fine shooting. He was taking down some seriously high and fast birds. For him, using a 12b isn't challenging enough even on exceptional birds like those. Other guys I know who shoot 20b do so because they prefer the weight or because they too want to make it more difficult. I don't think there is any stigma attached.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

16g is the way to go and would love to see more of them being used - with the amount of old paper cartridges I get given they seem to have been more popular in times gone by?

Pointed in the right direction and loaded with 32g Alphamax VIP 5's, my sbs will drop anything if you don't mind a little kick!

I would think, all things being equal, apart from the load, there is, perhaps, about 5m difference in sensible killing range. Most shots are well within that range.

A twenty throwing a good pattern will beat a twelve with a lousy pattern, any day. Difference can easily be made up with a little extra choke on the smaller gauge - anyone using a twelve with full choke, on driven game, would be the one to ridicule. Just need to explain that your aim is good enough to cope with the smaller pattern. There are other advantages of using a twenty, at times.

Question: Who really needs a 12 gauge, for a kill, at skeet?

Edited by oliver90owner

I can honestly say that this season I have killed the highest birds with my 20s/s. I have used my 12bore when there is a chance of ducks as my 20 is too tightly choked to use steel and bismuth is expensive. I have used both guns about the same amount of time and they both fit me pretty well. I am going to get the choke barrel on my 20 opened up over the summer and use steel loads on the duck next season.

I'm the same as several on here. Have only used a 28 gauge for last 11 years for game shooting. It's only a SP1 but It made me eventually sell my EELL 20 gauge as I wasn't using it from one season to the next. A 24 gramme payload will drop all but the very highest birds and I don't come across too many of them in Suffolk.

I shot in Wales earlier in season and the 12 gauge got a dusting off for its only outing this year. Recently bought a .410 SP1 and using 19 gramme loads have found very little difference to the 28 gauge. Looking forward to letting it loose on the Partridges next season.

Just ignore them and let your shooting do the talking. Wipe a couple of eyes with your 20 and have the last laugh.