Christmas Goose.

Fisherman Mike

I've an early night tonight as I'm off to the Severn tomorrow to hopefully bag a Christmas goose.. I've not done much wildfowling so I would like some advice please...

1. I want to travel as light as possible so I shall be taking the Webley tracker .177 calibre...is it best to shoot the goose with a pointed or hollow point pellet. ?

2. Should I wait for it to land and entice it in with some bread or shoot it in the Air ?

3. What's the best way of getting mud off the telescopic sight ?

4. Which bread is best to use to lure them in close enough to get a shot off at about 10 yards.?

5. How long will it take to die after I have shot it in the beak and will it make a noise.?

Thanks in advance

I've an early night tonight as I'm off to the Severn tomorrow to hopefully bag a Christmas goose.. I've not done much wildfowling so I would like some advice please...

1. I want to travel as light as possible so I shall be taking the Webley tracker .177 calibre...is it best to shoot the goose with a pointed or hollow point pellet. ?

2. Should I wait for it to land and entice it in with some bread or shoot it in the Air ?

4. Which bread is best to use to lure them in close enough to get a shot off at about 10 yards.?

5. How long will it take to die after I have shot it in the beak and will it make a noise.?

Thanks in advance

LOL

Cheeky boy Mike....OK, here we go:

1. Pointy

2. Wait for it to land

3. WD40

4. Sourdough (ask Terry)

5. Hang it up and wait overnight

;)

Thanks I want to give it a sporting chance so I thought perhaps open sights at shorter range in order to get a clean kill.

Hopefully the locals wont have fed it too much that morning and it will be inquisitive..

I'm going to go after the big white one...

Personally I think you just need to grow up.

Thanks. your entitled to your opinion...this is a open forum after all....and if its legal :whistling:

Can you get me a Curlew too if you see one?

Ill try but there are quite a lot of snipe about and even though they have disappeared from most of Southern England I hope to get a couple of brace for the ferret.

Thanks in advance

You really want to use a shotgun. More pellets so you're more likely to hit it ;)

Don't bother with a rifle a air pistol is more than enough, if you want to shoot them in flight use a semi auto one as I do good for geese to 35 yards.If you don't have a air pistol shoot the rifle from the hip as its impossible to miss this way and you can double the range.

Don't bother with bread they don't like it, just call them in with here goosy goosy goose in a baby talk type voice,none of them daft wooden whistles for me.

Don't forget wear pink as you want them to see you, don't want them going to others when you want to shoot them.

Fisherman mike if your ever up my way let me know and we can go out and between us we can get hundreds as a few is no good :yes:

Figgy

Edited by figgy

Dress up as a goose and stay on the water for a couple of weeks ,integrating and becoming a member of the fowl family,

Then strike hard and fast at the moment your trust has been earned, a quick bond style karate chop to the neck will cause instant despatch,

Please note: This method can only be used once or twice a year on the same water, as the fowl soon become wary of 6 foot tall fowl suddenly appearing,

Atb

Flynny

Edited by flynny

Thanks in advance

You missed a question

6, Q, How long will I have to wait for the birds to show?

A, About 12 months :yes:

see you on your return :lol::lol: don't rush back on our account :lol: BB

Thanks in advance

1) Change your name to "Mikewantsagoosing"

2) Seek advice from a true hunter with the relevant skills

3) Share the experience with a likeminded friend.............Kent would be a good choice :good:

4) Have a great time :good: