Which is best/better?

owo1-man

Hi all,

Am new to this scene and waiting for my FAC to come through, 13 week's and counting since I applied, had the home interview and have been window shopping since.

Advice please on these two before the bank card gets exhausted by her indoors and her Christmas shopping.

Anschutz 1417 G or Weihrauch HW60J in .22lr .

Scopes, Am using a Hawke 3-12x50 AO IR on my AirArms TX200 and am very pleased with it, any reason to spend any more than what that cost me.

Moderator, SAK seem to be dog's from what I read, so again any advance on those for the same sort of money.

Many thanks in advance.

i have 2 1417s, cant comment on the weihrauch but i would think whichever one you choose you will not go wrong,both are excellent rifles,if your happy with the hawke stay with it,its perfectly ok for your needs,i have a sak and a dm80,prefer the dm80 more so just to keep the length of the gun down a bit although i do think its a bit quieter

good luck and enjoy

Not sure of the model but my cousin has a Weihrauch in .22lr. It's a lovely rifle, but heavy as hell, I don't think his has a heavy barrel just very heavy in general. My CZ is nice and light, accurate etc etc. been done loads of times.

Then I doubt that he has a HW60J because mine is as light as a feather, certainly much lighter than my CZ452 varminter, but lighter I reckon than a standard CZ. Edited by Blunderbuss

Take a good look at both, the weihrauch has a faultless trigger renowned for quality and has one of the best triggers of all the rf rifles.

the cz is more of a basic tool less refined than the hw60 but nonetheless its good at what it is designed to do.,

I think you need to handle both and make your own decision, look at spare magazine cost, and check them both out for ease of use, changing mags etc, as most times will be in the dark while out lamping .

Take a good look at both, the weihrauch has a faultless trigger renowned for quality and has one of the best triggers of all the rf rifles.

the cz is more of a basic tool less refined than the hw60 but nonetheless its good at what it is designed to do.,

I think you need to handle both and make your own decision, look at spare magazine cost, and check them both out for ease of use, changing mags etc, as most times will be in the dark while out lamping .

Magazines are the forgotten aspect and a point worthy of note, buy at least a few with the rifle- then compare costs!

The trigger is optional, I find they shoot great but take a period of run in that can last at least a few hundred rounds. Dunno how many my cz has done but its got to be into 10,000 + never had the trigger modified and its great. My other CZ rimfire (a HMR - now sold on) took nearly a full brick of 500 but was rough in the extreme for the first 100 or so.

A full timney trigger is certainly a way better choice than home done jobby with a kit, dangerous home trigger mods are far from an unusual find in used CZ rimfires. I feel personally a new CZ 455 with a laminate stock and a Timney is pretty much as good as it gets on a new rimfire

Thanks for all of your info and after reading other reports it's going to be the HW60J.

Many thanks to all who contributed,

owo1-man, and yes that is my Yamaha.

Don't think you'll be disappointed. I've got a matching pair in.22 and HMR. Very fine rifles. Agree with Dougy, the triggers are superb. They spoil you though. You can get used to light and crisp two stagers, but you don't find so many of them on other rifles.

In my opinion the HWs have probably the best triggers of any rimfire. But opinion is all it is. If you haven't already, handle one before you part with the cash and make sure it feels as good in the shoulder as it looks on the rack. That's where it matters.