Close season for pigeon

bunnage

Where have all the woodpigeon gone ? Some say in the woods, others say the have migrated across the channel, all say they will be back.

I say thousands have died from Trichomonas Gallinae or Canker this autumn. This causes lesions in the throat & digestive tract ,which is why we saw all those sick birds in the autumn. It is spread by a parasite. It gets more common every year.

To help combat this, I believe we should have a close season on pigeon shooting in June,July & august, voluntary of course but strongly recommended by BASC & the like.

I never shoot adult birds to leave the squabs to die of starvation in the nest & nor should others except under dire circumstances.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every year there is a good acorn harvest trich raises its head again, and a small number of people panic. For one thing it has nothing to do with shooting, so I have no idea why you thing a closed season would help with this. In fact like most diseases, it spreads more quickly in a larger more dense population, so your suggestion (leaving more birds to enter the winter) could potentially aggravate the situation. Not forgetting the fact that woodpigeons are a serious agricultural pest, which has seen large population increases in spite of shooting pressure in the last 20 years.

Next year will not be a mast year, and things will be back to normal, with birds spread throughout the countryside rather than in big blocks of woodland, where they have little requirement to leave throughout the day. In the sixties many more pigeons died from starvation in the winters, when there was not an abundant supply of acorns and beechmast, due to the absence of oil seed rape across the country. 2013 has been one of the biggest acorn years in many years (after a dire year last year), so it's hardly surprising the birds are feasting on them.

Given that in your last line you say you never shoot adult birds to leave young to die (presumably you mean you don't shoot in the spring/summer peak breeding season - although woodpigeons do breed throughout the year). It seems to me that you already would like shooting during summer months to stop, and you are (incorrectly) trying to use Trich as an excuse for a reason that doesn't simply exist.

If you do not wish to shoot woodpigeons during the summer months, as several members on here would also agree whether for personal, family, fishing etc... then don't, but to try and argue for a closed season by invoking false science because it suits your personal agenda is wrong and misleading.

Every year there is a good acorn harvest trich raises its head again, and a small number of people panic. For one thing it has nothing to do with shooting, so I have no idea why you thing a closed season would help with this. In fact like most diseases, it spreads more quickly in a larger more dense population, so your suggestion (leaving more birds to enter the winter) could potentially aggravate the situation. Not forgetting the fact that woodpigeons are a serious agricultural pest, which has seen large population increases in spite of shooting pressure in the last 20 years.

Next year will not be a mast year, and things will be back to normal, with birds spread throughout the countryside rather than in big blocks of woodland, where they have little requirement to leave throughout the day. In the sixties many more pigeons died from starvation in the winters, when there was not an abundant supply of acorns and beechmast, due to the absence of oil seed rape across the country. 2013 has been one of the biggest acorn years in many years (after a dire year last year), so it's hardly surprising the birds are feasting on them.

Given that in your last line you say you never shoot adult birds to leave young to die (presumably you mean you don't shoot in the spring/summer peak breeding season - although woodpigeons do breed throughout the year). It seems to me that you already would like shooting during summer months to stop, and you are (incorrectly) trying to use Trich as an excuse for a reason that doesn't simply exist.

If you do not wish to shoot woodpigeons during the summer months, as several members on here would also agree whether for personal, family, fishing etc... then don't, but to try and argue for a closed season by invoking false science because it suits your personal agenda is wrong and misleading.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++1

webber

Where have all the woodpigeon gone ? Some say in the woods, others say the have migrated across the channel, all say they will be back.

I say thousands have died from Trichomonas Gallinae or Canker this autumn. This causes lesions in the throat & digestive tract ,which is why we saw all those sick birds in the autumn. It is spread by a parasite. It gets more common every year.

To help combat this, I believe we should have a close season on pigeon shooting in June,July & august, voluntary of course but strongly recommended by BASC & the like.

I never shoot adult birds to leave the squabs to die of starvation in the nest & nor should others except under dire circumstances.

You need to get out down my neck of the woods! Thousands of the blighters around here!

By the way nice first post would you like to introduce yourself?

He got told :)

Shut up dafty.

first post and talking total utter tosh,

bunnage your information is so far from the truth its unreal,

firstly as your first post it would of been nice for you to have introduced yourself to the pigeon watch masses but instead have decided to talk about a closed season ??????

this only points to one conclusion, you obviously don't shoot over any farmers land if att all because with you attitude towards controlling woodpigeon , there is not a single farmer in the land that would agree with you,

not unless you would like to compensate them for the loss of there crop which I doubt you would, believe me you would not be able to talk to any crop farmer I know,

excellent first post if daft, and welcome to pigeon watch

atb Evo

so your looking at wood pigeons as a game bird that has a closed season, rather than a pest species, that if you follow the general licence can only be shot for pest control rather than sport, I think you need to re-think your attitude towards shooting, oh and introduce yourself too

I say thousands have died from Trichomonas Gallinae or Canker this autumn

is their a pigeon dying ground somewhere hidden in the hills where pigeons go to die then?

as a pest controller, I get monthly reports via mail/e mail and verbal from all over the place, and as yet, nothing about huge piles of dead pigeons

:lol:

I have a personal closed season during the months suggested. By this what I mean is that I dont go out looking for pigeons. However, all my farmers know where I am and I will make a bee line for the field in question and shoot til they stop coming if I get a call at any time of year.

A close season for wood pigeons has been suggested many times. The logic of having a close season for a bird classified as vermin is a major stumbling block. The stance of calling for a close season when pigeons are breeding also comes up short as they have been recorded breeding ie nesting and feeding young, in every month of the year.

A close season for wood pigeons has been suggested many times. The logic of having a close season for a bird classified as vermin is a major stumbling block. The stance of calling for a close season when pigeons are breeding also comes up short as they have been recorded breeding ie nesting and feeding young, in every month of the year.

Yes, I've seen them breeding this month....

Anyway, I have a farmer who has promised me £1,000.000 when I shoot the last UK pigeon, so keep up the good work!! I'll share it with you......

I believe we should have a close season on pigeon shooting in June,July & august,

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ,

ERRRRRRRRRRRR thats the time when we need to hit them the hardest, the time when they are doing the most damage

CUCKOO,CUCKOO, COOCKOO.

Sandwich short of a picnic, brick short of a load etc etc etc,

You obviously dont shoot live game do you mate?????????

I'm just going out know to make sure that the back wheels on my car follow the front ones,

ATB

Flynny