Close season for pigeon

bunnage

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where have all the woodpigeon gone ? Some say in the woods, others say the have migrated across the channel, all say they will be back.

I say thousands have died from Trichomonas Gallinae or Canker this autumn. This causes lesions in the throat & digestive tract ,which is why we saw all those sick birds in the autumn. It is spread by a parasite. It gets more common every year.

To help combat this, I believe we should have a close season on pigeon shooting in June,July & august, voluntary of course but strongly recommended by BASC & the like.

I never shoot adult birds to leave the squabs to die of starvation in the nest & nor should others except under dire circumstances.

Mad bloke makes stupid suggestion. :no:

It is the same every year that we get loads of natural food people relatively new to pigeon shooting think they have all gone or died or migrated or something, but they are doing what pigeons used to do before oilseed rape arrived they are being WOODpigeons.

I don't have any friends either boo hoo.

Quite a few members on Pigeon Watch have supported a close season for pigeons over the years, they are entitled to their opinions and shouldn't get abused.

I am sure I remember the owner of a well known shooting supply company writing an article in a shooting magazine, suggesting the same thing, a few years ago.

Some things aren't new.

Where have all the woodpigeon gone ?..... I believe we should have a close season on pigeon shooting in June,July & august, voluntary of course but strongly recommended by BASC & the like.

Edited to save people reading the same tripe again...

I never shoot adult birds to leave the squabs to die of starvation in the nest & nor should others except under dire circumstances.

Troll or Anti, one or the other. Either way best ignored!

Just out of interest, what months do you think would be best for the closed season for Rats, Magpies, Crows, Squirrels etc.???!!!!!!

Whether we like to think of them as such or not, they ARE agricultural pests and should be controlled all year! Having a closed season imo would bring an end to shooting as we know it and i think the op is very well aware of that.

Yes, I've seen them breeding this month....

Anyway, I have a farmer who has promised me £1,000.000 when I shoot the last UK pigeon, so keep up the good work!! I'll share it with you......

If bunnage has his way then the pigeons would have eaten his £1000000, so good luck with that!

Or they would have all died already:-)

Quite a few members on Pigeon Watch have supported a close season for pigeons over the years, they are entitled to their opinions and shouldn't get abused.

I am sure I remember the owner of a well known shooting supply company writing an article in a shooting magazine, suggesting the same thing, a few years ago.

Some things aren't new.

I agree, plenty of supporters over the years. So Cranners, do you have a personal view?